Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
CptSternn

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

http://tinyurl.com/3ca4sjy

Quote:
Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine.

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

"There are quite a lot of people who think it's not possible," Thiel said at a Seasteading Institute Conference in 2009, according to Details. (His first donation was in 2008, for $500,000.) "That's a good thing. We don't need to really worry about those people very much, because since they don't think it's possible they won't take us very seriously. And they will not actually try to stop us until it's too late."

The Seasteading Institute's Patri Friedman says the group plans to launch an office park off the San Francisco coast next year, with the first full-time settlements following seven years later.

Thiel made news earlier this year for putting a portion of his $1.5 billion fortune into an initiative to encourage entrepreneurs to skip college.

Another Silicon Valley titan, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, announced in June that he would be funding the "Clock of the Long Now." The clock is designed to keep ticking for 10,000 years, and will be built in a mountain in west Texas.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
CptSternn

The big question will be, can you smoke a spliff there? Or grow a few plants? Or a field? Or can you build a Walter White style lab?

How far does the libertarian view extend?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Mr.Doobie

I fucking hate Ayn Rand.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Grausamkeit

Dude....this has been posted already!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Spooky Spencer

I completely misread the title of this thread.

It sounded like someone had ordered the creation of islands filled with artificial libertarians (didn't Michael Bay make that movie?)
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
If you call that posting. It had no descriptive title and no quotation from the article. Until you pointed it out no one even knew sure.

I don't bother with news posts that have commentary as the thread title and absolutely no quotes or other descriptive information in the post sure.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
AshleyO

You're just mad that I beat you to it. Plus, I'm willing to bet that people are more receptive to AshleyO's posts than yours.

You never really know what you'll get when I start a thread.

Typically, we can expect you to bash America sure.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Vince

But you didn't follow the proper Sternn protocol for creating a thread therefore it is null and void. We probably should deduct one from your post count, AshleyO.

Shame on you. You really should know better by now.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
If you call that posting.
Yes, I call it posting. I don't know what you call it when people make posts, though. Keyboard farts?

Quote:
It had no descriptive title and no quotation from the article. Until you pointed it out no one even knew sure.
Sure, that's why no one had posted in that thread before this one was made. We all must've read this one, then decided to time-travel to the night before you made this one and post there instead. That totally happened!

Quote:
I don't bother with news posts that have commentary as the thread title and absolutely no quotes or other descriptive information in the post sure.
You could've just said "Ooops, sorry! I missed that."

Look before you keyboard fart!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Alan

I love how he got all whiny bitch on me for a thread where I asked you to vote up a youtube comment, because he said that he had 'already made a thread about that' which neither had said youtube video, nor was the thread his (it was Saya's)

But in here, where it is the EXACT SAME THREAD, he just gets all primadonna because he disapproves of the title choice of Ashley's.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Grausamkeit

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

So, it's a hypocrite you're bein', Sternn? Shame on you, lad.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
AshleyO

He's being fecking petulant, sure.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
CptSternn

At least I was considerate enough to you know, include the URL. We shouldn't have to break out notepad just to visit a link because the OP is too damn lazy to fix it sure.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #14
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
At least I was considerate enough to you know, include the URL. We shouldn't have to break out notepad just to visit a link because the OP is too damn lazy to fix it sure.
That would have warranted you posting the link in AshleyO's thread. You could even have righteously posted a snarky "There, fixed it for you" comment. Posting a whole new thread about the exact same subject a thread has already been started for is a mistake.

You really don't know how to admit you made a mistake, do you Sternn. I've never seen you do it ... even when you're caught dead to rights like here and on other occasions.

Do you believe you never make mistakes, or that you never have to admit them here? Or that on the occasions where you do make a mistake (like this one), just posting some qualifier about what other people did relieves you of any responsibility?

It's why most of the time I don't read your posts. You're not honorable, and that undercuts your credibility with me.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
CptSternn

That is a good idea, and I would have done so, if I had any idea that thread was the same thread. I didn't bother looking at it as the title was obscure and there was no working link.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Alan

So? No one blames you for repeating a thread. It didn't have a relevant title so why look at that thread?

What we blame you is that instead of saying something like "my bad, I didn't see that thread" you went all primadonna and said "well MY thread is better sure"
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote