Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Loy

"FEMA paid for my bong"

this article piqued my curiosity. Figured you guys might find it interesting as well.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=25131
Old 11-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
edible_eye

fema didn't pay for his bong. fema used tax money collected from the citizens of the united states to try and help those who lost something during a natural disaster and that shit-bag decided to use the money given to him to buy a bong. he's just another shining example of why giving people free anything is a ridiculous and outdated and ineffectual way of dealing with a problem.

make someone work to earn their keep and they'll respect it a hell of a lot more than if they're given a handout.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
TheKorovaMilkbar

Same kinda thing happened here in town recently. A group of seven heavy set african american women went into a nail shop here and started copping attitudes for no real reason, especially when the owners spoke in Korean.

Nice to know they spent the money that some could barely afford to give on getting their nails done.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Ben Lahnger

Re: "FEMA paid for my bong"

I know in some way this sounds like theft, or at least moral bankruptcy, but I guess I'm just not as outraged as some other people.

I'm reminded of the days after Katrina hit, when the news was covering New Orleans 24/7. They were showing law enforcement officials out trying to control the looting. And I noticed that in some instances, if people were stealing food, water or other necessities, the officers just let them go. But if they were stealing alcohol, then the officers arrested them immediately. And I was thinking "Man, if there was ever a circumstance where I was gonna scream I NEED TO GET DRUNK, that is it right there!"

And I don't think the college students profiled in that article are little angels, but their not much different from college students anywhere else ... except that they've had their entire life taken away from them.

So I can't say that you're wrong when you point out that spending that money this way is a betrayal of the trust American citizens placed in them. But I also can't blame them for wanting to medicate themselves.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
edible_eye

i don't think the concept of theft was an appropriate train of thought. the money was given to them and with free cash people are gonna do what people are gonna do, i agree. and i'm not outraged by any of it - frustrated maybe, but not outraged. for some of the people living in new orleans, katrina was the best god damn thing that ever could have happened to them. for many, there was so much money thrown at them, they couldn't possibly focus on where the next batch was coming from. it was like winning the lottery again and again and again - the newest round of winnings are now coming through in the form of christmas donations.

i put no stock in morality in general; especially not in a city where mardi gras could be planned year after year by the government there while simultaneously ignoring the construction of an effective evacuation plan should it be needed. in a way, it was kinda like the titanic - sparing the life boats because hey, why stock a ship with needless things like that when it'll never sink? poor planning, poor leadership, zero accountability.

i think that what's important here is for those in charge of doling out millions of tax dollars to those facing adverse circumstances stop and take a hard look at what happened across the board. a waste of twenty bucks for a pipe is nothing compared to the waste of thousands and thousands and thousands for beer and lap dances - both are things i heartily support in general, but not for others at my expense, especially when the stories of woe are being crammed down my throat about how uncaring we all are and how we need to give more and more. not to mention whatever else.

the handling of that disaster has become just an extended tale of how that city was run prior to its destruction - with widespread corruption and an absolute blurred and disjointed vision of how to manage itself.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Ben Lahnger

Well, I don't think it's just a problem with the corruption of the local government ... Look at how badly most of the homeland security funding has been misused by all the states.

"The problem is not in our stars, eh Brutus?"

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
WolfMoon

Well, I haven't read this thread until recently. But I can honestly say that I'm sick of people looking for fucking hand outs. I still have people demanding discounts on account of losing everything in Katrina.

I figure it's been long enough that most people should've moved on and gotten jobs by now. The ones that haven't, fuck 'em. It's been long enough for people to pick up the pieces, find a job build a better life. Unfortunately what I see mostly is the same drunks that have been using the money that FEMA gave them to get drunk on, for months.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote