Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
crossbonesandfire

Please tell me if I should leave....

I am new here and i don't know if I am too young because I am only 12. Can somebody tell me if I should leave? I think I am "Goth" because I don't care what people think, I like the music, and I I like black. I know there is Way more to it than that, so don't think I am a wierd kid who doesn't know anything. I'm just not sure if I should be here or not.
crossbonesandfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
NightmareInShiningArmour

Age doesn't matter. Stay. Please do. Just try to be open minded, accept advice (or you're probably gonna be flamed badly) and if you think people are being assholes, usually they're trying to get a point across. A lot of people here would call themselves assholes and some are. 12 isn't too young. I started to slowly become Goth at that age. I've learnt HEAPS from this forum, I love it. Fashion isn't all that Goth is about. It's about the music too. There are heaps of people that would gladly give you a rundown of the Gothiest bands to ever exist. And that doesn't mean HIM, Marilyn Manson, Evanescence etc.
I;m glad that you're 12 years old and you know how to spell and use grammar. That gives points because it is annoying when people say "u" "ur" "yu" etc. I hate it. Everyone here hates it. It's NOT a good habbit to get into.

If you want help with the music, fashion ideas etc, I'm probably not the one to come to, I'm fairly new here and I'm still learning myself.
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Minyaliel

As long as you have your parents' permission to be on these boards, why shouldn't you? Look, if you're feeling uncertain, perhaps you would profit from just lurking about a bit to see whether you want to post or not. I'm quite certain no one would object to your age. You're as old as my little brother, actually, and I don't mind discussing things with him. *friendly smile* We don't bite, you know.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
*friendly smile* We don't bite, you know.
Well at least not our younger members. But please tell us more about yourself. Hobbies, interests, oh and gender too it sometimes helps us know how to refer to you unless you're one of our dual gendered members in which case we'll have a minor bit of trouble with that.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
thekorupt

As long as your parents are ok with it...
Listen to nightmare up there. He has good points. He is also cool, so learn from him.

Here's some advice...
1. Don't ask how to be "goth". You will be chewed up and spit out.
2. Don't get offended easily. Alot of people here are self proclaimed assholes, like me, but it isn't meant to be assholes. We are just blunt. Blunt is good. Blunt means you always know where you stand.
3. Have a sense of humor.
4. Accept sarcasm and laugh with it.
5. Continue to use good grammar and spelling. We hate l33t speak.
6. Read the newbie post info. Abide by it.
7. Be yourself. If you start seeming like a poser, you will get flamed.
8. Be prepared to learn. Generally, if you ask for advice here, people will be more than happy to help you.
9. Have fun. This forum isnt for everyone... if it turns out it is for you, then welcome. If not, then thats ok.
10. Introduce yourself. Tell us about you, let us get to know you. Get to know us.

I think its a great forum.. I have only been here briefly myself, but I love it.

And by the way... some of us do bite. Alot. *smiles and shows her fangs*

:-)
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Honestly, there's a lot of inappropriate content on here.
I wouldn't let my 12 year old on here.

But stay, what do I care?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Delicate_Torture

You should definitely leave - for your own peace of mind. We are all crazy here.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Disaffected Shoelaces

A little swearing and sex talk never caused me irreparable damage when I was young. Just like what you hear in the playground, only they don't really know what they're talking about. It seems like modern society is so gung-ho about protecting kids, we forget how much they already know at 12. This place has good points as well - an emphasis on literature, news and politics, and a respect for intelligence. It doesn't seem to me like such a bad place for a twelve-year-old to be.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Jaye Jang

CBandF. If I still had a 12-year-old, I would be leery of letting her or him on here just because of some of the links. (Hope you don't get nightmares easily). However, being your age is good for the rest of us. I'm fairly new, myself, was Goth way back when...., and as one of the older folks on the site, having younger folks is good for us. You keep us on our toes and make us mind our 'P's and Q's.'

Oh, and I hope you don't mind us older folks waxing 'parental' occasionally. If you get 'smothered' and 'mothered' just flame us and/or ignore us. We're used to it by now, believe me.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Tea and Cake or Death

What answer are you looking for? Perhaps is it some focused attention you seek? Why ask us anyhow? It's really up to you. A part of growing up is being able to determine when something is right for you or not. Take a few moments to think it over, then act in a way that you feel would serve you, & your goals best. Let me ask you a question though. What is it you are looking for from this community?
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

One of the coolest members, JCC, is quite young. He's not 12, but you get my point.
And there actually is not Way more about goth, you know?
It's just that: music and campy clothing.
The only trick is to know what music (you know, Bauhaus and The Cure rather than Nightwish and such; the standard lecture)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
*friendly smile* We don't bite, you know.

You see kid, there's a common misconception that Goth's are all vampire and "vant to suck your bloood!" But that's not true. Only SOME Goth's are vampires. Renatus is one of them. (Keep some garlic, a gun with silver bullets and a steak with you at ALL times).

Nah, I'm just kidding.
And listen to thekorupt. I'm really cool *puts on sunnies and gives cheesy smile*
I'm with you all the way though, I'm only 14.

Take Godslayer Jillian's advice though, Nightwish, Evanescence, HIM, Marilyn Manson and the such are not Goth or Goth Rock. Lurk in the music thread for a while and find out who are. Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cruxshadows, Bauhaus (personal favourites).

Goth Community Service Announcement: Can we please post a warning on all inappropriate material for the youngins in the Spooky News section. Eg. "Suicide Footage, Warning: Not suitable for whippersnippers" or something. I don't want this kid watching that video, sex talk and dirty words don't hurt you at a young age but video's like that do.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour

Goth Community Service Announcement: Can we please post a warning on all inappropriate material for the youngins in the Spooky News section. Eg. "Suicide Footage, Warning: Not suitable for whippersnippers" or something. I don't want this kid watching that video, sex talk and dirty words don't hurt you at a young age but video's like that do.
That and some of us would just rather not look at icky stuff, especially when eating or when we are say in a library, and appreciate the warning.

Personally I don't think your age would hinder your ability to be a contributing member of the boards (there are quite a few members who are around the same age), as long as you keep in mind that most of us are a good bit older than you and you don't mind a good bit of cursing. Some of the things that we talk about are of a more mature nature but I doubt that you haven't heard much worse somewhere else.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
NightmareInShiningArmour

I think that "Suicide Footage" is a dead giveaway as to weather you shouldn't watch it when you're in public or eating.
But still. Warnings would be nice.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
Man In Room 5

Stay with Gnet and I'll tell you a little secret...actually, it's not really a secret, it's just something the newbies often fail to notice. It's this:

Behind our occasional bitching and hazing we really like newbies and we especially like the younger ones. We whine a lot about the babybat stereotype of the 13 year old girl who listens to HIM and writes bad poetry but to be honest we'd rather have those people come to Gnet and get a proper goth education than have them never learn the truth and continue to think they're goth because they bought a really cool Invader Zim purse at the mall. The gothic stereotype works against the real goths just as much as it does against those who fit the stereotype and, personally, I think one of the most enjoyable things in the goth scene is watching people exchange the stereotype for the real thing. It not only validates the individual, it helps validate goths as a whole against those who employ the stereotype against us.

If you really think you're goth, or really want to be goth, Gnet is a great place to learn more. We moan about the flood of stereotyped goth newbies that come here because we're overloaded with them and so few of them pan out--but whenever we see any new member join we still hope that they are authentic, sincere searchers who have just found their home. It's always nice to meet younger people who find real value in our scene and if you're one of them then this is where you belong and nobody has the right to tell you to leave.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
thekorupt

While I disagree with Godslayer Jillian about it just being the music and clothes (don't get me started on the origins of goth, or the Appolonian/Dionysian Goth mentality dichotomy, or the media's BS portrayal of us) He is right about one thing... we have many young members. Man in room 5 has some excellent points. Listen to him.

Oh and amen to the PSA up there.
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #17
Jaye Jang

Dear folks,

Totally agree with all of you, and with the idea of posting a warning. Been chagrined. I have posted stuff here that I did not take the time to check out completely, only to find out it offended people (not intended), not only because of sexual innuendoes or scary content -- but because it does protray goths in a bad (read that stereotyped) light. That's why having younger members is good for us older folks. It makes us think, or as my grampie use to put it "use our heads for something besides a hat rack and our brains for more than a mere object to hold our ears apart." However, as my favorite young person (read that my pride and joy) so aptly puts it, "If you're not sure you want to do it -- don't." Cruise the scene, see if it's for you, get your feet wet and if you feel comfortable with it, 'come on in, that water's fine.'
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
Murasaki eyeliner

hey miss (or mister) crossbones welcome to g.net please stay you sound pretty interesting

since all the good advice has been given by that lot above me (shakes fist)
im just going to say this :gaaaarvasplooosh, as its the only word that even remotly sums up the weirdness of these forums,enjoy

hang on scrach that, i have 3 things to say one was the above and the other two are these:

.dont take underwater opelias (or anyone elses) bouts of bitchiness personaly,it happens to most people at one time or anouther.

.fill out the newbie questionaire so everyone can find out more about you

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
Murasaki eyeliner

Quote:
We don't bite...
...much v--v

("sigh" thekorupt put it much better, but what can a kei obsessed vampy do?)

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #20
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki eyeliner
.dont take underwater ophelias (or anyone elses) bouts of bitchiness personaly,it happens to most people at one time or anouther.
But mainly Underwater Ophelia's.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekorupt
don't get me started on... the Appolonian/Dionysian Goth mentality dichotomy
No, I want to get you started, because this sounds like you're borrowing an idea from Nietzsche and applying it to backcombed hair and fishnets, the explanation of which just might be stupid enough to be funny.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #22
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour

Fuck off mate. Seriously? I've seen, heard, and watched twelve year old kids post worse shit online than suicide tapes. Besides, if a kid's parents doesn't want them on here, they should be fucking parents.

To the Original Poster: Stay, have fun, expand your mind. Oh, and knock off that "Do you think it's ok? Am I too young?" bullshit. Be a mischievous and deviant little monster while you still can. At your age you're just a brat, try the same shit when you're in your twenties and you're a sociopath. So have fun, break some rules, and welcome.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Man In Room 5

I see that Korupt never posted the Appolonian/Dionysian theory. I wanted to hear it too. Even if it is just a reworking of the Nietzsche thing. The whole Appolonian/Dionysian theory has been applied to so many other things. It doesn't shock me if someone has applied it to goth as well. I've been trying to outline my own theory on goth and I'd be interested in hearing Korupt's ideas. Also, Korupt mentioned once that she was working on articles for a church's program to reach out to youth subcultures. If those deal with goths I'd like to see them too. If you don't want to post them publicly you can Email me at maninroom5 @ yahoo dot com
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #24
KontanKarite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIY_ethic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_Rock

At its core, goth is pretty much an introverted, dark form of punk and post-punk. And at the core of punk is a kind of Do It Yourself ethos that rejects and challenges social norms and ideas as well.

Essentially, you are who you are. You'll always have your own ideas and it's because of who you ARE and not what you think you should be in order to be something.

These links are highly suggested reading material for anyone looking to share ideas and get an idea of some really interesting things to incorporate into your life that will make it a bit more richer and meaningful. For example, if you want to get into making your own clothes, ask your parents for some help in that area. I would suggest trying to avoid telling them you want to make your own "goth" clothes. Don't worry about the label. Be yourself and do what you do because you like it. If people come to think of you as a goth then they do. If they don't then don't sweat it. Just ALWAYS do what you do because you like it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
bloomerbrigade

First of all, welcome! ♥ Enjoy your stay here!

Secondly, I agree with what KontanKarite said; the point is to always be yourself. You're you. Like what you like. Have an open mind and be open to learning about new things; please don't let a label limit you! And please remember that goth is not about rigidly following a stereotype. You are never going to like something that you feel "pressured" or "forced" into liking, because 'other people won't think you're a goth if you don't'. It isn't about trading one form of conformity for another. Some goths won't agree with you on certain things, sure, and other goths might -- a big portion of it is simply a matter of opinion, and you win some and lose some with every opinion/viewpoint you have [for instance, you may grow to love Siouxise and the Banshees, but you can't stand Bauhaus]. Whatever. It's about finding out what *you* like, so don't make yourself like something just to fit in, and don't let other people pressure you into liking something, either. Do it for yourself!

One of the best things I like about "dressing differently" or listening to "different music" is that it gives you the courage to not care about what the majority of people out there think. It takes courage to be different. I, myself, personally embrace that fact.

Even if you end up feeling that this scene is really not for you, at least try to take that frame of mind with you. ♥
bloomerbrigade is offline   Reply With Quote