Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Sen. Hillary for president?
Yes 3 42.86%
No 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
cannibalnuns

Molly Ivins: Not. backing. Hillary.

I came across this earlier this morning while getting ready. She does have a bit of a point if you ask me. But I do not really like arguing about politics but this sparked my interest. But it just makes sense, you got to take a stand at some point. And a lot of dancing has been done and as Ivins said, the Bush administration will continue to be patriotic bullies as long as there is a war. Are there any opinions on this “delicate” topic?

Quote:
"Enough. Enough triangulation, calculation and equivocation. Enough clever straddling, enough not offending anyone This is not a Dick Morris election. Sen. Clinton is apparently incapable of taking a clear stand on the war in Iraq, and that alone is enough to disqualify her. Her failure to speak out on Terri Schiavo, not to mention that gross pandering on flag-burning, are just contemptible little dodges. The recent death of Gene McCarthy reminded me of a lesson I spent a long, long time unlearning, so now I have to re-learn it. It's about political courage and heroes, and when a country is desperate for leadership. There are times when regular politics will not do, and this is one of those times. There are times a country is so tired of bull that only the truth can provide relief."

--

“Oh come on, people -- get a grip on the concept of leadership. Look at this war -- from the lies that led us into it, to the lies they continue to dump on us daily.

You sit there in Washington so frightened of the big, bad Republican machine you have no idea what people are thinking. I'm telling you right now, Tom DeLay is going to lose in his district. If Democrats in Washington haven't got enough sense to OWN the issue of political reform, I give up on them entirely.”

--

“Bush, Cheney and Co. will continue to play the patriotic bully card just as long as you let them. I've said it before: War brings out the patriotic bullies. In World War I, they went around kicking dachshunds on the grounds that dachshunds were "German dogs." They did not, however, go around kicking German shepherds. The MINUTE someone impugns your patriotism for opposing this war, turn on them like a snarling dog and explain what loving your country really means. That, or you could just piss on them elegantly, as Rep. John Murtha did. Or eviscerate them with wit (look up Mark Twain on the war in the Philippines). Or point out the latest in the endless "string of bad news."

--

“Do not sit there cowering and pretending the only way to win is as Republican-lite. If the Washington-based party can't get up and fight, we'll find someone who can.”.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/...ary/index.html
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Blushing Heliophobe

I think she did a lot of good for women when she was Mrs. President.

However, it has puzzled me that someone who has admitted to thinking about running for President has skirted the line on so many important issues.

To play it fair, though - she has recieved a huge amount of attention because of her connection to former President Clinton. How many other senators skirt the line in important issues?

Shoot, nowadays your ability to not take a stance on an issue is what gets you ahead. Take for example the abortion stance as it pertains to selecting members of the Supreme Court. The whole object of the game is to not take a stance. Senator Clinton isn't the only one...
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
cannibalnuns

Yes she is not the only one, Alito is guilty as well.

Quote:
Shoot, nowadays your ability to not take a stance on an issue is what gets you ahead. Take for example the abortion stance as it pertains to selecting members of the Supreme Court. The whole object of the game is to not take a stance. Senator Clinton isn't the only one...
And that is why I do not get to deeply involved with politics or heated debates. I want to know what I am exactly stepping in before I lower my foot down.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Binkie

Clinton is no different from Murtha. They're loud and obnoxious in front of the TV cameras and reporters, but come time to vote, these two tend to vote differently than they talk. But that's how you get to know your Congressmen and Senators. Voting records, not rhetoric.* Murtha sure stirred up some shit when he came out and said we should pull troops out of Iraq. In fact, he sumbitted a resolution for Congress to vote on a call to immediately withdraw of troops from Iraq. Funny thing here, he not only voted against his OWN resolution, but came back later and denounced it.

Okie dokie. >.>

But what Clinton does is no different from what alot of moderate Republicans or moderate [any party member] does in either the Senate or the Congress. And that's dancing around issues and not directly stating their position. Alot of times they're either too scared to come out and state their position, or in Murtha's case, they're too afraid to back it up, for fear of losing votes next time around in the elections. The mentality was beautifully displayed in one episode of Family Guy when a Congressman stepped up to denounce smoking:

"Smoking is a horrible vice. It shortens life expectancy and pollutes our air... and according to recent polls, 'air is good.'"

As for Alito, the guy really has to keep his trap shut on the issue of abortion. His nomination was very crucial, as he's set to replace a woman who preserved the balance on Roe vs. Wade. So if Alito came right out and stated he was firmly against abortion and would overturn Roe in a second, then the media would have a frenzy with it and the guy probably wouldn't be confirmed. If he is against abortion and comes right out and says it, he'll lose the backing he has against alot of Republicans (and still some Democrats), who are the strongest vouchers for the guy thus far. Again, that may lead very well to him not being confirmed. So again, same reasons. Keep your mouth shut to win approval.

(note: another perfect and very obvious example would be Senator John Kerry)
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
WolfMoon

(note: another perfect and very obvious example would be Senator John Kerry)

Took the words right outta my mouth there, Binks!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote