Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
CIRQUEFREAK91

^I hope that was a genuine question and not a ploy to divert the subject, because I have a serious answer. I always have sun-dried tomatoes, olives and celery for crunch XD
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
AshleyO

I don't even.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
CIRQUEFREAK91

KissMeDeadly that is...
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Wait. What does black people being in the desert have to do with black people being disproportionately imprisoned?
Economic factors matter much more than racial ones. I can see this easily stateside. I was curious how many wealthy black people he might have served with. I bet most of the people he's working alongside, regardless of their ethnic backgrounds, are of similar economic standing.

The economic pressures that put people in shitty situations where they wind up getting shot at in shitty war torn countries aren't all that different from the economic pressures that put people in shitty situations where they wind up getting arrested or stopped by police.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
Alan

And what does that have to do with the fact that NYPD has stopped and search more black people than there are total black people in NY?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
Solumina

If you want to look at the military for your example then you are looking in the wrong place, what you should be looking at is their rate of advancement, which is not equal across the board, at least not above a certain level, in the lower ranks there is less discretion as to when someone advances and so the numbers are much more equitable.

Yes, there is a lot of discrimination against poor people of any ethnicity but that doesn't mean that racism isn't still present.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And what does that have to do with the fact that NYPD has stopped and search more black people than there are total black people in NY?
Maybe nothing. More data required. NYPD cover a lot of ground. Were the stops made more often in affluent areas or impoverished ones? Of those stopped, how many upper class individuals were subjected to search as opposed to lower or middle? What time are the stops being made? Is a vehicle involved? What kind?

I didn't say "Racism doesn't exist!" I said that it doesn't matter nearly as much as economic standing. Of course racism exists, Versus called me a Cracker. A bloo bloo bloo. :*(
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #33
Alan

If that were true then statistics would show that NYPD has stopped at least half the total white population in New York as well.
What the statistics prove is that obviously a lot of black people have been stopped and searched more than once. If it happened that it was only lower class black people it means they have been stopped and detained more than four times each
Why are these statistics not even remotely close to that of white people, even if we just talked about lower-class white people?
real classy
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
AshleyO

I live in NYC.

Stop and Frisk is racist as fuck.

I can go out looking poor and shady as fuck and the cops wont even touch me and it's because I'm white.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #35
Despanan

Quote:
Institutional racism doesn't exist anymore
Someone is MASSIVELY uninformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
And the economic standing of these individuals is totally just a coincidence."
I live in NYC, I live in a poor neighborhood. The NYPD is racist as fuck. Stop and frisk is racist as fuck.

Dude, we have cops KILLING unarmed black men in their own homes. Just fucking gunning them down. What the NYPD has been doing to Occupy these past 9 months they've been doing to blacks and latinos in the hood for YEARS. They've been doing worse.

Pull your heead out of your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Jonathan

Guess I'll have to see what comes of the investigation. Articles dated April 16 and 17 are easy to find, got any updates?

So far it sounds like racist cop(s) did shitty thing, is going to be in court over it. That seems to be a statement that "this shit isn't acceptable". Kind of the opposite of institutional.

Eh fuck it. You've changed my opinion. Everyone everywhere is fucking racist all the time. I see the light. Jesus H Tap-dancing Christ, I have seen the light.

---

I don't see any way of forcing a church to operate under state employment guidelines without it creating a much worse problem than the one you're trying to solve.

Fuck that church, they're a bunch of assholes, but there's dick all anyone can do about it except bitch, and that is good.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #37
Alan

You still have not addressed racial profiling in NY at all. If economic stance was more important why is it that the cops haven't stopped and searched more lower-class white people than the total number of white people in NY?
real classy
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #38
AshleyO

Jon.

Can you tell us what institutional racism is? I'm curious as to what you think it is.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
Versus

Quote:
I don't see any way of forcing a church to operate under state employment guidelines without it creating a much worse problem than the one you're trying to solve.
So, let me get this strait- demanding that a church respect human rights creates a problem greater then the institutional disrespect of human rights? What problem is worse then that?

Quote:
Fuck that church, they're a bunch of assholes, but there's dick all anyone can do about it except bitch, and that is good.
Why is oppression good?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
Despanan

Quote:
Guess I'll have to see what comes of the investigation. Articles dated April 16 and 17 are easy to find, got any updates?
Internal affairs investigations take a long time. Longer now that they're up to their ears in lawsuits for brutality, wrongful arrests, corruption, and racism.

Quote:
So far it sounds like racist cop(s) did shitty thing, is going to be in court over it. That seems to be a statement that "this shit isn't acceptable". Kind of the opposite of institutional.
1) I don't think you understand what institutional racism is, much less how it works.

2) So, murdering an unarmed black teenager in his home (after entering without a warrant), making horribly racist statements, and stopping more black people in NYC than the total number of black people in NYC, of which 95% did not result in arrest and the vast majority of that 5% resulted in petty marijuana possession (PS Petty Marijuana is supposedly decriminalized in NYS) How about a straight-up pattern of victimizing neighborhoods of people of color?

http://www.plp.org/challenge/2012/5/...st-terror.html

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/155405...k/?page=entire

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...-facebook-page

Quote:
Eh fuck it. You've changed my opinion. Everyone everywhere is fucking racist all the time. I see the light. Jesus H Tap-dancing Christ, I have seen the light.
No you haven't. This is a non-apology.
Quote:
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #41
Versus

Despanan pumps me up.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #42
AshleyO

He can do that sometimes. He's got a good character about him.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #43
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm

As an aside: Versus, have you noticed Masons being promoted more quickly than non-masons? Truth-spammer-1776, please refrain from spamming on this one. It's a genuine question.
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #44
Versus

I have never met a mason before.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #45
Saya

Let's not forget that economic oppression intersects with race. You know how feminists like to say that women only make 77 cents to a man's dollar? That's actually a racialized number, white women make that much to a white man's dollar, people of colour make even less. In Canada Native women make 49 cents to a white man's dollar.

Prisons are also racialized, 1 in 3 black men will be imprisoned in their life time. Prison labour was originally set up to replace slavery, and the prisons quickly filled with black men, petty crimes became felons and new laws like vagrancy were introduced to make it so, before slavery ended prisoners were mostly white. It didn't start with frisking and it won't end with frisking.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #46
Despanan

Not to mention that in the United States, a greater and greater number of prisons have been sold to private companies.

They are currently being/are filled largely with non-violent drug offenders. They're operated for-profit and the government guarantees 95% occupancy at all times.

The case can be made that not only was prison originally set-up to replace slavery, in many ways it is the new slavery: or at the very least the new indentured servitude.
Quote:
Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #47
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Not to mention that in the United States, a greater and greater number of prisons have been sold to private companies.

They are currently being/are filled largely with non-violent drug offenders. They're operated for-profit and the government guarantees 95% occupancy at all times.

The case can be made that not only was prison originally set-up to replace slavery, in many ways it is the new slavery: or at the very least the new indentured servitude.
Yeah. The War on Drugs is really a fucking war on minorities.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #48
CptSternn

What is really mental is that places across America are passing local laws banning 'Sharia Law', members of congress are speaking out against it, and yet when another religion is used as the base of governmental decisions the same people shout with glee and challenge people to try and stop it as it is an insult to 'their' religion.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote