Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #7051
Fruitbat

Got visited by the JW's today. It's freezing and I just let them stand there and try and give me their words of wisdom, wiithout saying a word in response. Then they asked me if I had a faith, and I said yes.....

... I've got a faith, faith of the heart - star trek enterprise theme song... Oh yes I have faith! praise the warp drive. May Dr Flox always be there to tend to your wounds.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #7052
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Gun go boom?
Err. I was mad because they wasted my time and tried to argue with me about somethingly clearly within my purview. A lot of officers have this "I don't need to listen to a word you say because I have a degree, which makes me smarter then you and more knowledgable about everything" attitude. Saya and I agreed that she was a political science major.

Also, you shouldn't worry about makeup. Saya and I would totally bang you.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #7053
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Err. I was mad because they wasted my time and tried to argue with me about somethingly clearly within my purview. A lot of officers have this "I don't need to listen to a word you say because I have a degree, which makes me smarter then you and more knowledgable about everything" attitude. Saya and I agreed that she was a political science major.

Also, you shouldn't worry about makeup. Saya and I would totally bang you.
That's the thing I don't like about the way people think these days, they work on the old basis that knowledge is limited and can only be acquired over the time of an entire lifetime, and through intensive studying such as through a university. This value has not been adjusted to take into account how much more easily one can acquire knowledge than one could a century ago.

Instead you have people interpreting it as a sign of disrespect, when in fact it is just the opposite, it is you being respectful of the fact that they don't know something that you know, and that you want to enlighten them.

At least thats how I interpret it.

Then again it could be entirely due to(rather than partially due to) one thing(I think) I heard from my father, about how young officers tend not to listen to their more experienced but lower ranked enlisted men, a foolish mistake.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #7054
Renatus

Oh well, I could be completely off, I'm running a fever at the moment.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #7055
Solumina

From what I've heard you're spot on Ren. There are a lot of officers who have zero practical knowledge and even the greenest 0-1 outranks any enlisted person, some people also seem to think that if you outrank a person then you are better than that person in every possible way.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #7056
Saya

It cracks me up because I'm in a third year anthropology course about war (specifically the American War in Vietnam), and my prof thinks I'm brilliant but a lot of the points I bring up in class, I steal from Versus. Dude could run intellectual circles around a lot of my classmates any day.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #7057
Versus

Yeah, you guys are spot on. And to Saya: I maintain that I'm kinda dumb. I hide it only by trying to talking about things that I'm familiar with, or think that I have a grasp on. When was the last time anybody saw me speak about something intelectualy? Yeah.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #7058
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Yeah, you guys are spot on. And to Saya: I maintain that I'm kinda dumb. I hide it by only talking about things that I'm familiar with, or think that I have a grasp on.
Everyone does that. There's a reason I don't really participate in discussions about economics.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #7059
Versus

Or shoe shopping.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #7060
Solumina

How the hell is sourcing the right felt the most difficult part of putting together this craft class? Seriously our suppliers only have super soft floppy felt (which you can only get in multicolored assortments so I can't even get some and just use a little fabric stiffener) or the stuff that you stick on the back of furniture to keep it from scraping/denting your walls. I'm thinking we may just have to use petty cash and buy the stuff at Michaels.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #7061
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
How the hell is sourcing the right felt the most difficult part of putting together this craft class? Seriously our suppliers only have super soft floppy felt (which you can only get in multicolored assortments so I can't even get some and just use a little fabric stiffener) or the stuff that you stick on the back of furniture to keep it from scraping/denting your walls. I'm thinking we may just have to use petty cash and buy the stuff at Michaels.
How old is your resort exactly? I don't suppose you would be willing to share the name of it with me, through a pm for the sake of privacy if you feel so inclined. I must admit though part of the reason I ask is because I remember years ago an offer of cookies you once made should I ever come to visit.

One thing I do my best to never forget, is offers of hospitality, made to or by me.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #7062
Solumina

The property itself was a functioning plantation back in the early 1700's but it became a resort in the 80's and was purchased by DRI just a few years ago (I think four years ago but I'm not 100% sure). I work at the Historic Powhatan Resort but our sister resort Greensprings is newer and better maintained (although our Activities department is way better).
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #7063
korinna5555

I miss some of you.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #7064
Solumina

Some of us miss you too.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #7065
Renatus

Quote:
Some of us miss you too.
I concur

Quote:
The property itself was a functioning plantation back in the early 1700's but it became a resort in the 80's and was purchased by DRI just a few years ago (I think four years ago but I'm not 100% sure). I work at the Historic Powhatan Resort but our sister resort Greensprings is newer and better maintained (although our Activities department is way better).
Judging by the looks of the picture and activities list it seems as if it was better off in the late 80s/early 90s.

Though I do like the looks of the menu. Such as the tiger prawns with smoked gouda grits(it sounds like an entree I had in Lafayette), or the apricot glazed quail, perhaps with a side of white truffle potato au gratin.

What do you think of the game room? how is your activities department better? and how far is the rail station?(if I were to stay there I feel like I would want to take the rare opportunity to use rail travel:P)

Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #7066
Solumina

The rail station is a fair bit away and the public transit around here doesn't quite reach our property (the bus does stop at the park maybe 1/4 mile away but there are no sidewalks), though you could take a taxi or rent a car.

I'm not gonna lie the game room leaves a lot to be desired, it only has a handful of arcade games and a couple of snack machines and that is all there is, the only people who actually seem to enjoy it are bored 13 year olds whose parents don't want to do anything but lounge around the pools (which the game room is right off of).

Our activities department is better cuz I'm in it . We are also much larger than our sister resort so we are able to provide more of a variety of activities and have a larger space to use for activities, we also have a much more pleasant manager who actually cares about her staff so we are all much happier and it shows. You can access our list of sports and stuff online but we will be offering a lot more events once things start picking up around the beginning of April (off season is super boring around here).

We actually have two restaurants on property (Greensprings does not but both are open to the public). The Kitchen restaurant is fine dining and that is the one with the dishes that you mentioned, the food is quite good but, while they brag about our sustainable garden and having local food the only stuff that we grow on property are the herbs and figs and of the rest of the food only some of the seafood is locally sourced (our new chef is working with the new food and bev manager to improve this but has made little progress so far, then again they pretty much completely overhauled our other restaurant so they haven't been able to devote much time to it yet). The Grill is our casual dining restaurant, it was recently renovated and has a new menu, it just reopened earlier this week so I haven't checked it out yet but I have heard that it has improved substantially (as it used to be pretty blah, not bad just nothing special). That being said I wouldn't really recommend either, at least not if you were interested in going out for dinner (if you don't feel like driving or just want something convenient then they are great options), not that I think you would be unhappy with them but there are just so many truly outstanding restaurants in the area that I would feel compelled to recommend first.

Unfortunately for this place the company that built it slowly went out of business, Powhatan and Greensprings were the last of their resorts to be sold off and it really shows that things weren't kept up while the company was going under. Diamond has been (very) slowly renovating both properties (things have been easier and faster at Greensprings as the resort is newer and about half the size), thankfully our new (well newish he started last year) GM has been pretty aggressive about fixing the place up, there are just a lot of issues from past management that he is having to clean up. Honestly if he is able to keep going the way that he has been I think the resort will really be a great place again by next year, I mean since he started last year we have remodeled the restaurant one, redecorated the front lobby, re-paved most of the roads, and are currently restoring the manor house and renovating the recreation center, additionally there have been stricter quality controls and a faster pace for unit renovations, so the guy is making a lot of progress, unfortunately our last three GMs were just a little more concerned with lining their own pockets than doing anything for the property.

Edit:err wow that ended up getting long, guess there was just a little pent up frustration that wanted to come out. Also if you do decide to visit Williamsburg but don't stay at this place I'll still make you cookies.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #7067
Renatus

Quote:
Edit:err wow that ended up getting long, guess there was just a little pent up frustration that wanted to come out. Also if you do decide to visit Williamsburg but don't stay at this place I'll still make you cookies.
But then I wouldn't get to use the activity center, I hear the staff there is great.

I am curious about the manor house, are people free to go in there at any time? does it require tours? I read on the website about how they have a haunted house sort of thing that goes on there.

This is the rant thread after all, glad to see I could serve as a catalyst to your venting.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #7068
Solumina

The first and second floors of manor house are free for people to wander through, usually from about 8:00am to sunset, unless we have a scheduled event, each room is decorated in an historically accurate manner (accept the dining room is upstairs, at least it was not sure if the rooms will all be arranged like they were before, and there is a bathroom), the third floor is not historically accurate at all and we use it for meeting and such so no guests up there, and the basement is only included during the ghost tours. We do offer ghost tours if you are into that sort of thing and there is a small fee for those. Not sure if we will still be doing them but we also used to offer a history tour, which educated people on what was typical of a manor house in the 1700's as well as about the people who lived in the house over the years.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #7069
Versus

Officially the largest post that I've seen Sol make. XD

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #7070
Solumina

Boo I feel crappy today.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #7071
Renatus

I woke up with my left arm sore, then later my right arm became sore for some odd reason.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #7072
Fruitbat

I don't like peopel who make out they are nice, then stab you in the back.

I'm also fuckin pissed off with books that have girls feeling an electric current run through them when a guy looks at them, or touches them. For fuck sake folks, there are other ways people fall in love with someone. What about just knowing that person is right for you, or not feeling sick in the stomach, or just wanting to make that person happy, or feeling that you want to know that person, or you are willing to put up with that person during their most craziest moments, and accept them for who they really are, not what you want them to be.

Fuck. Shit. Fucken fuckity fuck fuck.

So glad to be writing adult books now..

Where have all the zany people gone?

And what's wrong with saying Vagina in a book? instead of "down there?"

And why won't the banana splits theme song leave my head! Do not you tube it, you'll suffer.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #7073
CuckooTuli

I hate having to de-friend people for laughing at the disabled, then defending their right to do so under the heading of "victimless crime!!", EVEN after disabled people join the thread to explain why they find such dehumanising mockery upsetting. The casual lack of basic empathy that humans show each other in their everyday lives is so fucking depressing sometimes.

I also hate being called a killjoy for not finding offensive shit funny. 'Joy' taken from the hateful dehumanisation of others deserves to be fucking killed, and we'd all be the better for it if we could only make it stay dead.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #7074
MissCheyenne

I need yet another new pair of glasses. I only got a new prescription in August and my prescription has almost doubled between then and now. I can't afford new glasses but I desperately need them. Fucksocks.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #7075
Solumina

Fuck I just remembered that I agreed to work morning shift tomorrow. Christy was supposed to remind me today but she never did. I was hoping to catch up on sleep but I have to leave for work in less than 7 hours
-Carbon Leaf