Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
AshleyO

So this is my speech outline.

-Introduction
"I am here today, classmates to persuade you to consider the veracity of being pro-choice." (elaborate on this. Make it last about a minute. Talk briefly about the debate going on all around America and around the world)

-A brief history of pro-choice

Saya, Solumina, this is where you come in. I'd like this to be about 2 or 3 minutes worth of content, so where should I look and perhaps what good quotes could I use from sources from a feminist perspective that can adequately talk about the history of being pro-choice. Basically what historically led us to this point in time.

-The moral dellima: Again 2 to 3 minutes worth

1 to 1 ratio argument (Despanan, I'd like to dip into your air tight argument here)

Also, Saya and Solumina, if there's other aspects about this section that you'd be better qualified to elaborate on, feel free to give me some advice on that.

-An explanation of what abortion really is medically and what types of abortion are used and why.

This I think I can get from WebMD, actually. I'm allowed to use websites as sources if they're a legitimate source and I'm sure WebMD is.

-The conclusion

Abortion rights are an issue that involves everyone, yet it's women who take the full brunt of the struggle and it can actually be even worse for those women of minorities and economic statuses. To be anti-choice is playing directly into the hands of oppressive patriarchal forces. It is not about banning abortions for the sake of life for the right, but it's about turning pregnancy into a form of revenge against women. If you object to abortions, the most reasonable thing is to never get one and police your own private body the way you see fit according to your standards. So be sure to understand and be pro-choice because it's not about being cavalier with sex, it's about women's health.

So this is the general ideas I want to touch on. What say you, members of G.net?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Solumina

I'm not so sure that WebMD would be an acceptable source, it isn't as reputable as say the WHO so I would check with your prof before you use it.

I do think that it would be a good idea to include a significant section on unsafe abortions and just how terrifyingly common they are in places where abortion is illegal, something like half of the abortions performed worldwide are done unsafe conditions and/or by an untrained person. Also focus in on the fact that more restrictive abortions laws do not bring about lower rates of abortions, they really only take away the option of a safe abortion.

I will add more after I have some dinner.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Solumina

Totally forgot to come back to this last night, sorry.

When you say you want to kind of tell how we got to this point, do you mean how abortion became legalized and less stigmatized in this country or do you mean how we got to a point where it is something that has become the massive issue that it is today?

Also are you just dealing with the US or are you looking at the rest of the world as well? I would suggest the latter as there are a fair number of countries that have legalized abortion fairly recently and the data from them paints a pretty interesting picture as not only do complications due to unsafe abortions go way down but the abortion rates themselves tend to go down, but if you're worried about that making your focus too broad I can definitely understand.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
AshleyO

I don't want to make the focus way way too broad, but that is an interesting tid bit I'd like to add.

I have to give this speech tomorrow, so I'm going to flesh it all out today to gather my thoughts.

And I kinda wanted to say as to how we got to this point post Roe v Wade. As in when it decided to get good and ugly and stressful.

I was hoping to get a kind of bibliographical reference for that information. I know Saya has mentioned it before, but I'd like to know where that came from so that I could reference it.

I've also heard that Freakonomics said there was an interesting correlation between crime rates and legal abortions. Not too sure if I want to use that though.

Hey, thanks for helping me out on this. I appreciate it.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Solumina

No problem darlin', if you want to look up those actual statistics I know the WHO has them for a couple of countries but you may have to wade through a lot to find them, they also have a rather useful and concise two page fact sheet on abortion, which may be a good idea to use since your speech is tomorrow.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
AshleyO

Oh wow. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Solumina

You're welcome!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Saya

I'm so sorry, dude, I was working all day yesterday and forgot!

Also my school doesn't have online access and its closed on weekends, but the article " Private Bleeding: Self-Induced Abortion in the Twenty-First Century United States." looks up your ally if you have access.

Jeanne Flavin's Our Bodies, Our Crimes: The Policing of Women’s Reproduction in America. covers history from tne 19th century to present day, if you can't get to the library today or they don't have it there's a lot of info to be gained in the first chapter which is up on Google Books Preview: http://books.google.ca/books?id=5eka...page&q&f=false

There's a review in the Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare that outlines the book and I can PM it to you if you want, but it vouches for the reliability of the book. And how can you go wrong when you open with Teddy Roosevelt?

"There are many good people who are denied the supreme blessing of children, and for these we have the respect and sympathy always due to those who, from no fault of their own, are denied any of the other great blessings of life. But the man or woman who deliberately forego these blessings, whether from viciousness, coldness, shallow-heartedness, self-indulgence, or mere failure to appreciate aright the difference between the all-important and the unimportant,--why, such a creature merits contempt as hearty as any visited upon the soldier who runs away in battle, or upon the man who refuses to work for the support of those dependent upon him, and who tho able-bodied is yet content to eat in idleness the bread which others provide."

The Yale Law Journal has a massive publication on the effects of Roe v. Wade and the shifting of political parties since, how at first Republicans supported abortion more than Democrats, and its only since 1990 that Democrats have been consistently more pro-choice than Repubs. (I can email the excerpt to you) From Pews to Polling Places: Faith and Politics in the American Religious Mosaic documents the shift in politics during the Reagan years particularly for the republicans, they try to appeal to Catholic because they are anti-choice, but also become more anti-choice for doing so. By sucking up protestant evangelicals in the process, Evangelicals became more anti-choice.

Finally, if you want to attack the Bible, there's no passages about abortion. There's this:

Exodus 21:22 When people who are fighting injure a pregnant woman so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no further harm follows, the one responsible shall be fined what the woman's husband demands, paying as much as the judges determine. 23 If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Which before the eighties was usually touted by protestants as reason enough that abortion is mostly a Catholic issue, the Bible doesn't place an embryo as important as a person.

Nowadays they trot out Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose...." but then goes on to say he wanted Jeremiah to be a prophet, and his knowing him before he was formed in the womb was singular to Jeremiah, not all fetuses.

I think its interesting how our attittudes towards reproductive rights changes based on who is the one bearing children. We had no problem sterilizing women of colour to "control" poverty, welfare queens were the antagonists of Reagan, and sluts deserve what they get when they get pregnant.
I know you can only cover it for like two minutes, but I'd rather overkill you with info than not provide enough.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
AshleyO

Wow. Dynamite stuff, Saya. I'll try to squeeze some of that in there.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
AshleyO

Well, I gave the speech. And I think... that I got an A on it.

Thank you for the help, Sol and Saya.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Solumina

Anytime...
-Carbon Leaf