Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Alan

White people are hilarious.

Let's talk about white people so that they come to tell us that this thread is racist towards them.

real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Versus

I chuckled.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Versus

This guy knows what's up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1_Y...e_gdata_player

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Miss Absynthe

Hey. This thread is racist towards me.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Versus

I'm not racist. I love white people. Some of my best friends are white people.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Jonathan

I'd like to withdraw some generational wealth to pay for my student loans, any suggestions on which bank will give me the most for my skin tone?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Saya

Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Miss Absynthe

I'm curious about something, and have actually wanting to ask people here what their opinions are because I think that this is possibly the most socially aware group of people I've ever met.

Since finding myself on the submissive side of the D/s fence, I've been thinking about where I fall within the spectrum of it all. I am more weighted towards the TPE (total power exchange) Master/slave side of the scale, and for a while identified as a slave.. but I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with that as a label.

I believe in the reclaiming of words to empower people, and would add that it is up to the group who have been oppressed to decide what words they are going to reclaim, and how they are going to do it. As an Australian white woman, I am not reclaiming the word 'slave', and it's starting to irk me that the kink community throw this word around without any concept of the meaning behind it... the only other word that comes close to an accurate label for me is 'property', but the use of this term also holds with it SUCH problems.

I can't even really think of the question that I want to ask here, but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts might be..
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Jonathan

Things were awful. They are better now. There are legal protections for protected classes, which prevents discrimination based on certain criteria:

Race – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
Color – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
Religion – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
National origin – Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1964
Age (40 and over) – Federal: Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Sex – Federal: Equal Pay Act of 1963 & Civil Rights Act of 1964
Familial status - Federal: Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII (Housing, cannot discriminate for having children, exception for senior housing)
Disability status – Federal: Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 & Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Veteran status – Federal Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974
Genetic information – Federal: Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

OK, so grandpa had it easy. The playing field is a lot different now.

*I can't be discriminated for or against because of my ethnicity. However, many professional jobs do require consent to perform credit checks for consideration of the position. They don't care about my race, but they can and will select candidates based on their economic standing and can do so with complete impunity. It's almost like... like... money matters more than anything else.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Miss Absynthe

Except that people *are* still discriminated on these criteria.. it's just that those who discriminate are more sneaky about it.

And changing a law doesn't undo the years of damage that has been perpetuated by systemic oppression and cultural genocide.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I'd like to withdraw some generational wealth to pay for my student loans, any suggestions on which bank will give me the most for my skin tone?
You mean those loans you were 40% more likely to receive?

Quote:
This paper presents data concerning the distribution of grants and scholarships by race. It debunks the race myth, which claims that minority students receive more than their fair share of scholarships. The reality is that minority students are less likely to win private scholarships or receive merit-based institutional grants than Caucasian1 students. Among undergraduate students enrolled full-time/full-year in Bachelor’s degree programs at four-year colleges and universities, minority students represent about a third of applicants but slightly more than a quarter of private scholarship recipients. Caucasian students receive more than three-quarters (76%) of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent less than two-thirds (62%) of the student population. Caucasian students are 40% more likely to win private scholarships than minority students.
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/2...holarships.pdf

Well, you could try going to predominantly white employee and federal banks that are set up in segregated areas; statistics for large loans heavily favor white people for approval rates, so that should improve your chances.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Except that people *are* still discriminated on these criteria.. it's just that those who discriminate are more sneaky about it.

And changing a law doesn't undo the years of damage that has been perpetuated by systemic oppression and cultural genocide.
But if we are too privileged to see it, it doesn't exist!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Jonathan

Didn't get a single grant or scholarship, funded entirely by government backed student loans. Loans aren't grants or scholarships.

If discrimination based on certain protected classes is prohibited at the federal level, how is it still systemic? The system literal proscribes it.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Miss Absynthe

Are you seriously asking that question?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Versus

Quote:
Didn't get a single grant or scholarship, funded entirely by government backed student loans. Loans aren't grants or scholarships.
I mentioned grants and scholarships because I thought it would be funny to tell you that white people are 60% more likely to receive a loan then minorities even after test controls such as employment, financial, and neighborhood factors.

Quote:
If discrimination based on certain protected classes is prohibited at the federal level, how is it still systemic? The system literal proscribes it.
Because we don't live in a post-racial society. Weird.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Versus

Quote:
I'm curious about something, and have actually wanting to ask people here what their opinions are because I think that this is possibly the most socially aware group of people I've ever met.

Since finding myself on the submissive side of the D/s fence, I've been thinking about where I fall within the spectrum of it all. I am more weighted towards the TPE (total power exchange) Master/slave side of the scale, and for a while identified as a slave.. but I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with that as a label.

I believe in the reclaiming of words to empower people, and would add that it is up to the group who have been oppressed to decide what words they are going to reclaim, and how they are going to do it. As an Australian white woman, I am not reclaiming the word 'slave', and it's starting to irk me that the kink community throw this word around without any concept of the meaning behind it... the only other word that comes close to an accurate label for me is 'property', but the use of this term also holds with it SUCH problems.

I can't even really think of the question that I want to ask here, but I'm curious as to what people's thoughts might be..
If it makes you uncomfortable, maybe "servant" would feel better?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:

Maybe "love-serf" would apply?

Quote:
*I can't be discriminated for or against because of my ethnicity. However, many professional jobs do require consent to perform credit checks for consideration of the position. They don't care about my race, but they can and will select candidates based on their economic standing and can do so with complete impunity. It's almost like... like... money matters more than anything else.
Seriously? Seriously.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
Alan

Compas, this isn't a thread to discuss racial subtleties of an institutionally stratified society. This thread is to make fun of white people.
It's to make fun of how little they understand racism, not to explain racism to them. It's to make fun of how they take offense when they're called white and defend themselves by saying "I'm more of a light tan color"
It's to make fun of how they speak slow to me when they meet me and then are surprised when they realize I'm *gasp* smart! It's to make fun of how they feel hustled when they realize I'm smarter than them when they would have admired me as wise beyond my years if I weren't hispanic.
It's to make fun of when they tell their story of how they felt alienated when they went to a Mexican restaurant and they couldn't understand their waiter.

Do NOT respond to a cracker comment by trying to make them see their privilege. The only correct response in this thread is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
If discrimination based on certain protected classes is prohibited at the federal level, how is it still systemic?
Hey whitey. Hey whitey! C'mere
real classy
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Versus

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Murder.Of.Crows

I don't get it... not for white people?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Alan

No, you can be here, just on the back of the thread.
real classy
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Versus

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Versus

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Murder.Of.Crows

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
AshleyO

This thread. Heh.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote