Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #26
ApothoKeri

I don't care for fake vampire teeth and tend to keep the everyday pointy filing to my manicure. But if you really, really want to change a tooth or two, you can always have a permanent porcelain veneer put in place by a dentist.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #27
Delkaetre

I doubt I would wear them myself, but the responses to this thread so far show that I must be hanging around with a very different crowd to most of you- I can only assume that the people wearing fangs most of you have encountered are those who wear badly fitted or costume store fangs, lisping and spitting their way through condescending, wannabe-Victorian conversations. There are a few of those amongst the fang-wearers I know, but not many.
In London, there are three 'vampire societies'- groups which meet up once a month because they like the vampire mythos and aesthetic. They discuss the books, films, history of the myth, etc. And many of them wear fangs. And some of them look quite good with them, because they've got properly fitted fangs which don't distend the mouth, allow the teeth and tongue to work normally (so no spitting/lisping), and aren't stupidly huge.
Fangs which add just a little extra length and point to one's natural canines can be a very pleasing aesthetic when worn with the right outfit. Non-essentials worn for the look of the thing, and in some cases to show membership to a certain group of people, individuals who enjoy the appearance and mythos. They are accessories, just as much as tie pin, cravat or handkerchief.
Consider a friend of mine, a genuine example- a pretty young French woman in her immaculately tailored clothing, who smiles to reveal a hint of a predatory fang. Not a huge great horror-flick throat-slasher of a fang, just a little more sharpness than is normal. The combination of the innocently pretty and the unexpectedly predatory can be a great contrast when it's done properly.

Anyway, yes, end rant. I just tend to react a little because till a year ago I assumed people who fangs to all be pretentious wankers. Now that I know them better, I realise that they're a wonderful bunch of people with a tongue in cheek attitude who know how to throw a great party. I tend to assume that negative attitudes are formed for the same reason mine was- simply not having a chance to get to know the guys personally.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
blackwater1110

@ Delkaetre:
My reaction was mainly to the fangs, not to the people wearing them; that said, my main experience has been 'fail' to use GJ's term. But this is most likely because I have never seen it done subtly/properly, as my reaction upon reading your descriptions of well-done fangs was definitely more positive. So, here's the question: can we get some pics on this board of well-done, vs. crappily done fangs, to see the contrast?
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #29
Solumina

@whoever said filed teeth have less cavities: that only works in groups of people who do not have access to proper dental care because it prevents food from becoming trapped between teeth. For people who can brush/floss/use mouthwash filing teeth increases your risk of cavities because it rids your teeth of a good portion of the enamel which protects your teeth from said cavities, it can also lead to an increase in sensitivity
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #30
redbamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
I have a friend who naturally has particularly sharp/pointy looking canines, which gives him a very very very subtle "vampire fang" look. My opinion on that? It's pretty freaking hot.

However, fake, very pronounced vampire fangs, in my opinion, look rather silly. I would never want them.

Any way, if you want vampire fangs, go ahead. Get them and enjoy them throughly.

i completley AGREE
redbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #31
Underwater Ophelia

I think if used sparingly, and with a complete vamped up outfit, they can be fun. I have a pair like those shown in the first photo, and wore them to a Drac's Ball a while back.

Voltaire liked them!
He signed a book for me in a lisp!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #32
Apostolos

It's totally up to you whether to get them or not. I myself have looked into them and it would do you some good to speak to those who have had experience with them. There are several ways you could get them and they all have different feel I believe. One where you can actually get them implanted by dental surgery under general anesthesia. You could get porcelain veneers but they have to be replaced about every 15 years and that isn't so good for your teeth underneath. You could also get caps. If they are subtle, personally I think that's not bad. But if they are too big, too over the top...then it kind of looks like your showing something off. I say, you shouldn't care what others think and go for it if you really want to. I mean, people say you are trying to be a poser, but anyone can say that about anybody, people say that about goths, but we don't care. If you get them, I advise you to be discreet, because with anything, showing off can get you into some trouble.
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #33
Catch

I would never get vampire teeth permanently installed. I knew a guy who did. The procedure was expensive and then he felt self-conscious at work. He ended up filling the fangs off.

Getting really nice, but removable fangs is better.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #34
meezerosity

Wearing them other than for costume purposes, they make me think someone has read a few too many Anne Rice novels. They can be fun, but to each their own...

I'm surprised no one has shouted DIY at the OP yet. There are many sources on how to fashion yourself a pair out of acrylic, that way you can make sure you get the right shape and that they fit well. Try google.
meezerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
XxBloodyrosexX

I wore vampire teeth once, for halloween. My boyfriend was 'Dracula' and I was the bride of dracula. we looked kinda hot together.. ^^ We got them at a costume store. They we just little caps that you adhear w/ deture glue.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #36
Opteron_Man

When I am an old man and all my teeth fall out, I want dentures like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. Remember, he has different sets, one is vampire teeth!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #37
Opteron_Man

For now, I would be happy with my own "normal" teeth.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #38
Kij.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110 View Post
What are 'filed teeth?'
This. -
http://www.smiledesign.org.uk/Images...gn/spetsig.jpg
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #39
First Fallen

No, never.
First Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #40
Needlefeet

You realise the last post before you two was almost a year ago?
This topic sucks. Stop replying.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #41
Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
"thanks to natural selection there's not much that is necessary in that aspect."
There is no natural selection in humans anymore... Even the most worthless piece of shit will get tail in his life and its usually the dumber ones that end up knocking someone up. Therefore, humanity loses.
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #42
Lady Ruthven

Vampire fangs rock! Although I think those ones in the picture are a bit too big. But smaller ones could look really good. (Just think of all the sexy vampires in movies.) If you want them, go for it. I'm sure they'll suit you.

I wear fake fangs quite a lot and have wanted proper ones for ages. My canines are naturally quite pointy but I'd like them enhanced a bit (perhaps with veneers). As long as they're quite small I don't think they'll get in the way. I would have them done tomorrow, but I'm really scared of getting a lisp. I'm training to be an actress so having clear speech is really important.

I have worn some horrible fake ones, most memorably a set I got really cheaply for a Halloween party when I was about 11. They were too small to fit my teeth properly and so chunky I could barely talk and couldn't actually close my mouth completely. I'm sure no implants would be that bad, but do you think they would alter my voice? Does anyone have experience with this?
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #43
Lady Ruthven

I can now speak from my own experience. I got pointy veneers about 3 months ago and I absolutely love them!

They're visibly sharper than normal canines, but not huge. And they're only on my top teeth, because the bottom ones were quite pointy anyway (and only getting 2 was cheaper). It took about an hour to get them put on, and the dentist didn't do anything to my actual teeth, so if I want to have them removed later he can just unglue them.

The first day I bit my lip but I soon learnt how to avoid that. And it hasn't affected my speech or the shape of my mouth in the slightest. My mum freaked out the first time she saw them, but all my friends think they're really nice. As do I. So yes, a massive success.
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote