Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #26
Mir

That reminds me of the "Oval Portrait". Why? I do not know.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 AM   #27
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I just read Poe's Eleonora, and feel a burden lifted from my shoulders.
Many men must have felt similar conflicts resolved the same bittersweet way. And I found the romance between cousins intriguing.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #28
Maggoty Anne

ahh... i love the telltale heart. I love how it's told in first person, and he keeps insisting he isn't crazy.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gothic Literature (American) he mastered. Well, that's my opinion. I think Poe is a beautiful writer. Though I think personally my favourite works of his would be the Black Cat, because it's like the Tell-Tale-Heart, yet more horror-themed. For his poems I'll always adore Annabal Lee and the Raven. Has anyone read or heard of his novel he wrote? I have a collection of his work somewhere that includes that book.

Goth Forever
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
ahh... i love the telltale heart. I love how it's told in first person, and he keeps insisting he isn't crazy.

Me too - So creepy when he chuckles to himself too : /

Has anybody seen the Roger Corman film adaptations of Poe's work? I know film adaptations scarcely [If ever] do the writers any justice, but I'm interested in writing about Poe [within a dissertation], and wondered if mentioning adaptations would be worthwhile?

By the way, I also disagree that the raven in The Raven represents Lenore. To me it symbolises his mental torture, and it is there as a reminder until he can accept what has happened. As a couple of you have said.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #31
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
Me too - So creepy when he chuckles to himself too : /

Has anybody seen the Roger Corman film adaptations of Poe's work? I know film adaptations scarcely [If ever] do the writers any justice, but I'm interested in writing about Poe [within a dissertation], and wondered if mentioning adaptations would be worthwhile?
Good goth, I LOOOVE them. Campy, dark and poetic at the same time. Anything of those films with Vincent Price is worth viewing, really. Though the Raven is a silly film that barely has anything to do with the poem, it's creative and well-done. And Poe is an excellent subject for one's dissertation.

Goth Forever
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #32
deafasadoornail

I took a course on Gothic Literature in college and somehow we missed the symbolism of the raven. Honestly, I always thought of it as a literal representation -- here's this guy grieving for Lenore and he has this large bird that somehow becomes trapped in his room, always flitting about trying to find a way out. The narrator starts to personify the raven and becomes quite unhinged as a result (if you've ever had a scary bug or even a small bird trapped in a room with you, you'll understand the feeling).

I think my favorite Poe poem is "Annie" -- at least, I think that's the title -- because of the part that talks about "you shudder to behold me, thinking me dead. But my thoughts, they are brighter than all of the many Stars of the heavens, for they sparkle with Annie...." All the rhythm, the onomatopoeia, builds up to this conviction that this is a waking corpse talking. CREEPY.

And for sheer scary Poe, I will put the short story "Berenice" up against any others you care to name. The teeth....still makes me shudder just thinking about it.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #33
FireAndIce

I feel like in candy shop....I know scarcely two "physical" people personaly that are able to create a sentence with E.A.P....and here are so many "digitals"...yes, it is shame, I live in strange world where you are taught about Baudelaire but not about Poe...not important

I am obssesed with Raven...but I realized, I don´t like the idea to anatomize the piece...I like it original English, read aloud in a slow tempo, regular rythm and intense diction...I am in this case sensualistic...enjoying, keeping the secret of the receipt unknown...(well, I did read the Poe´s treatsy on the Raven...didn´t hurt me)

but as to the idea lenore=raven...notice, that Poe does not create woman characters as individulas, strong, independent, thinking, capable of action, and there are not so many either...that´s why I think the speculation has no basis...raven-bird has more of personality in a short incident than Lenore
FireAndIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #34
Extraordinary

Edgar Allan Poe is good, but R.L. Stine is better.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
HumanePain

Just thought I would remind everyone that Edgar's birthday is this Saturday.
You can all celebrate and eat crow.

Ok, ok, I know, it was The Raven, not crow, but I could not have made the wisecrack otherwise. Grant me a little POEtic license now will ya?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #36
ForgetThisLostLenore

I would love to visit his grave this time of year. Just to see the roses that are supposedly left there. His house is supposedly haunted, but from what I saw of it, it wasn't really any hauntings by Poe himself.

My favorite poem of all time is Annabel Lee. I love the sheer beauty of it, the beauty of all his poems. I wanted to do a project on him, but our cutoff date was early 17th century.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #37
How Low Can You Go Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
I would love to visit his grave this time of year. Just to see the roses that are supposedly left there.
The roses are a nice touch, but the cognac is probably what gets Eddie's bones all a-rattle.
How Low Can You Go Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #38
Catch

I've taken the time to analize the possible meaning of a couple of his poems:

http://www.printnpost.com/articles/6...Poe/Page1.html

http://www.printnpost.com/articles/6...orm/Page1.html
Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #39
GentlemanBeard

I feel like such a dork, having only read the Raven. Any recommendations for some of his work?
GentlemanBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
Alan

Anything but.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #41
erotomaniac87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanBeard View Post
I feel like such a dork, having only read the Raven. Any recommendations for some of his work?
The Masque of the Red Death is genius!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
Grausamkeit

The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Cask of Amontillado, A Descent Into The Maelstrom, Hop-Frog, The Black Cat

I like all of his work. The best thing to do is buy a book of his complete works and read all of it. Then decide what you do and don't like. I like the revenge stories, myself, but he also wrote some damn good mystery.
Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
Sinjob

Lightbulb YOU KNOW YOU'RE ON A GOTHIC FORUM WHENn..

There are multiple threads made about the Poe.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #44
HumanePain

Lionizing is pretty funny.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #45
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne View Post
Good goth, I LOOOVE them. Campy, dark and poetic at the same time. Anything of those films with Vincent Price is worth viewing, really. Though the Raven is a silly film that barely has anything to do with the poem, it's creative and well-done. And Poe is an excellent subject for one's dissertation.

Goth Forever
..Whoever the fuck you are, you're a fool.

And all your posts start with the letter G.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #46
GentlemanBeard

Goddamnit, I wish the Edgar Allan Poe book at the library would hurry and be available. I AM SO ANXIOUS TO READ IT.
GentlemanBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #47
Saya

Its all online!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #48
Drew Keaton

Poe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Yes, he was a symbolic writer (in his poems that is, some of his stories have a very literal manner).

The Sleeper is a glorious example of classic symbolism: Death portrayed as Sleep.

But specifically in regards to your idea of the Raven as Lenore: that is an amazing observation! I do not think Poe intentionally tried to use Freudian symbolism in his writing, BUT, being well aquainted with those ideas that invoke horror, melancholy and other feelings in the reader, he may have instinctively written that way. Analyzing The Raven, one finds support for your idea in the 13th paragraph, last line, when he says "she shall press, ah, nevermore!", when in the prior verses, he referred to the Raven as a "he". To be sure though, he does revert to calling it a "he" in the last verse. A Freudian slip perhaps!
As Freud was well after Poe's period, the application of psychoanalytical theory is a modern phenomenon of course. Freud's theories do cross over into the darker elements of life! Marie Bonaparte's book on Poe is a great place to start for this application. She was receiving analysis from Freud at the time!
Drew Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #49
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Keaton View Post
As Freud was well after Poe's period, the application of psychoanalytical theory is a modern phenomenon of course. Freud's theories do cross over into the darker elements of life! Marie Bonaparte's book on Poe is a great place to start for this application. She was receiving analysis from Freud at the time!
Fascinating historical figure, I had not heard of her until now although I had heard of her work and phrases that were offshoots of her work. Thank you for the reference and bringing her to my attention. I learn so much in this place. I love Gnet.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #50
Melusine

Ah, Edgar Allen Poe... I simply adore his works. Every time I re-read one of his poems or short stories, I notice something I hadn't before. I'm sure I have most of The Raven memorized by now but The Bells is probably my favourite poem. The first time I ever read it, I found my voice getting louder and louder as I lost myself in the flow
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote