Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 12-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Shadowed Aegis

Question The Sad State of Political Campaigns These Days

News Article

It seems that every time there's a political campaign going on, that the ads/soundbytes keep getting nastier and nastier (or probably a more accurate descriptiong: more and more idiotic). Whatever happened to actual debate? From the above news article, I'm just disgusted. What purpose does it serve *anyone* to compare them to Nazis? All it does is instantly kill the debate. Personal attacks against your opponent have no place in any type of campaign. This isn't Kindergarten. So why do politicians do it? At least from my impressions all it does is turn more and more people off politics altogether. Are politicians that out of touch that they can't see how they're acting/portraying themselves and politics in general is just making things worse?
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Shadowed Aegis

While I do agree that the general populace is somewhat ignorant when it comes to politics, that still doesn't excuse the fact that politicians should be acting in a professional manner. Heck, even acting as an example of how things should be done rather than currently is done would be a (refreshing) change of pace and may cause more people than the politician would think to start respecting him/her. As leaders of our respective countries there's an assumption (that I at least thought was warranted) that they should act as role models (yes, I know a politician as a role model in today's society can be a scary thing) to the rest of the country.

Quote:
The Miss America Pageant is a more viable way of electing someone now-a-days.
That is just scary on SO many levels...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
The ignorance is certainly not an excuse for the childish behavior. It is the reason.

It's much easier to pander to the ignorant, entertainment addled majority, then the politically knowledgable and interested minority.

Popularity is what gets you elected.
NUHHH-UHHH!!! You just eat puppies and hate America!

***the preceding paid for by the "GeishaGirl eats puppies and hates America" Coalition for America 2005***

devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
devereaux

Quote:
Oh YEAH? Well at least I wait until they're born! You eat them when they're still puppy fetuses...feti..whatever! You're pro doggy abortion so you can eat! And you hate Christians!

**Payed for by the Deveroux is a Nut Sack in Disguise Foundation**
Your points would be exciting and valid and all, but you're just hiding behind the fact that you are against Americans having food to eat. Furthermore, in response to your second point, who DOESN'T hate Christians? People like Christian Slater are poor actors and provide nothing useful to society.

***the preceding paid for by the "GeishaGirl doesnt think Americans should have food and is supporting subjecting the populace to bad acting" Committee for a United America 2005***

Old 12-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Shadowed Aegis

*just shakes head at the both of them*

*points straight ahead and yells:* Look! A Photo-op!

*Thinks: There, that should keep them occupied for a while*
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
AlKilyu

AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Blushing Heliophobe

Maybe I got to this thread after it's not serious anymore but I hope not.

I think it goes even deeper than politics - that's just the symptom. The disease is that our society no longer wants to do anything for itself. People don't want to read, they don't want to research important issues, they don't want to get educated for education's sake, and they sure as hell don't want to think.

It's more entertaining to watch TV, eat crap (I like junk food too, but it DOES lead to an unhealthy lifestyle, nonetheless), and basicly be an ignorant asshole.

Thus, you have your true blue average American politician, putting on a ridiculous show for people who have no clue.

PS - I am not a liberal America hater. America is a great place. It's people in general that suck. Please don't flame me.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Shadowed Aegis

You do have a point that people/society has started to want everything faster, better, cheaper, easier, etc. with less thought and effort on the part of the individual. There does, however, seem to be recurring theme here however: that politicians are aware of the current state of today's society, and that they're simply taking advantage of it instead of doing something about it.

I mean, look at the hypocrisy present throughout daily life. You have health professionals warning about the dangers of obesity; you have other professionals warning about too much time spent not exercising; and you have politicians clamining that they recognize the problems and plan to do something about them. Yet what happens? Nothing, nearly nothing, or something just plain ineffective. I assume that there is a modicum of intelligence within politicans (after all, they did manage to get themselves elected and even the fact they recognize what is going on proves it). But what keeps them from taking the initiative/doing something constructive? Because it may be political suicide? I find that a rather selfish view, but then again, that may be all there is to it, improving oneself at the expense of another.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #9
Blushing Heliophobe

I don't really know how much difference a dedicated politician could make, I'm not in their shoes.

I do wish that American people themselves cared more.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
AlKilyu

I agree. Fox has the two highest rated shows on cable (OReily and H&C) and they deal mostly in politics. I myself watch CSpan a couple times a week (usually four or five) but I don't fault the average citizen for not wanting to monitor political issues as close as some. Some people are hustling and bustling and trying to make ends meet, or have children who are using the TV to watch SpongeBob at the time, and just don't have the time to keep a close eye on everything.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
devereaux

Quote:
I have here indisputable evidence of Deverouxs pagan, cannibalistic acts! Mothers, please usher your children out of the room. The following image is gruesome and may cause some people to scream in terror. You've been warned.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...l-deveroux.jpg
My fellow board members,
it has come to pass that my esteemed opponent has been slandering me, calling me (and I quote) a "Cannabalistic, Nazi Supporting, Baby Killing, Al-Queda member". Now...had I only been called up to three of any of those names, I surely would have been able to rise up to the challenge. However, since GeishaGirl decided to add a fourth slanderous (and might I add completely fallacious) accusation to the mix, I hereby retract my candidacy. One simply cannot compete in the court of public opinion when the opponent decides to drag up some really old photo of me in my more attractive days, when I was young and naive. Surely everyone makes mistakes, and I know realize where I have made mine...I should have just seized power in a bloody coup d'etat...

***paid for by the "Resist Devereaux and You Will Be Slaughtered" Committee for America 2005***

I'm Devereaux, and I approve this message.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #12
Blushing Heliophobe

Al -

You're right about that. I live in England and don't have TV so even though it is very possible to get American news, it's not as easy as having the paper delivered to my door. I understand that a lot of people are caught up in life. It's the attitude that I wish would change. The 'Well, it doesn't affect me so it doesn't really matter', train of thought.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #13
Alain

I don't suppose you see Parliament or whatever in the US, but shots of Parliament are on the news all the time here, and all I ever see are politicians red in the face, shouting at each other and calling each other idiots like high-school cliques at war.

It's all popularity and power politics, not working for the better of the community. Laws are passed not for their applicability but for the standing of he who endorsed it, which often comes from the rich mogul of whatever company endorsing him.

And Family First. I can't believe that they actually stated in the election booklet I received that all homosexuals were evil, and should be burnt at the stake like witches.

What sort of psychos are ruling us? But then, it's public apathy that ruins us. And what sort of decent, smart person would volunteer to be a politician?
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #14
Blushing Heliophobe

Family First - I fart in your general direction.

99% of all complaints issued to the FCC last year were from Family First.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #15
devereaux

wow, they sound like total morality fascists. I dont think I could put up with people like that on a daily basis... Hopefully they are a marginal group, at best
Old 12-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #16
Blushing Heliophobe

I think I've ranted ths before but here goes again...

If you value a specific moral standard, it would make sense that you would hope others could value it as well.

However, forcing this moral standard upon others in most situations tends to make them only resent the standard, and you.

Thus, driving them away from it.

Oh no, but if your entire purpose was to make people like this moral standard, aren't you really only undermining your purpose?

Let me think. Yes.

So perhaps the better thing to do would be float your own boat and allow others to float theirs as well, and if your moral standard is so great that your life truly benefits from it, then maybe people will see that.

If they don't, then they'll never change their mind and your 'cause' is lost on them anyhow.

There's nothing wrong with having a personal set of beliefs/morals but being a Moral Nazi is sure to do nothing but ensure people hate you and your morals in the end.

Bagh!