Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
CandyKorns

What's the best alcoholic beverage?

What's the best?
I kind of want to try md 20/20 but I hear it makes you sick and is really cheap. So what's a "high end", well made alcoholic beverage to try?
CandyKorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Tumor

Any alcohol will make you sick if you drink too much. The problem with 20/20 is that, for some reason, even the nicest drunks tend to turn into mean drunks with that. If you're planning on fighting someone, that's fine. If you just want to hand out, no.

As for what's best, it's all a matter of opinion. Just try different stuff and see where your sweet spot is. By "sweet spot," I mean the kind of special golden drunk people obtain with the right alcohol. For me, it's Black Velvet and Barq's root beer.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
Wednesday Friday Addams

Baileys imo.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
KontanKarite

Nuclear Iced Tea. Look it u.

Irish Car Bombs are also great for getting snookered really quick.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
TopHaggardDoll

My brother can make a cocktail that tastes exactly like Dr Pepper out of random alcoholic drinks...AND it gets you smashed.

I should ask him how you make it.

The BEST cheap beer I ever tried was Red Stripe....mmm, it was good.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
ThreeEyesOni

Personally, I'm allways fine with a nice pint of cold guiness (and yes, I know that it really should be more on the "warm" or "room temperature" side, but then again the original versions of this beer also required chewing so I think I'll pass). Past that I guess it all depends.

Vodka is probably my steady standby, preferably from the freezer. I do like good whiskey, but asside from Johnny Walker (try one of the small bottles of JW Green sometime) it's hard to find good whiskey that doesn't also cost an arm and a leg (let alone is impossible to find reliably). Barring vodka, my favorite would have to be good cane-sugar rum; barbados brand if can be found. Arak (a strong type of distilled wine with anise) is also rather unique; for starters it's one of those beverages that turns white with water. The effects of that much anise on the system is also interesting, so it tends to go to the head in an interesting way (Arak also makes me pee more than anything else).

My old college drink was a "Section 8 Screwdriver". Simply put, it's 1/3 vodka, 1/3 triple sec, and then as much ice and orange juice as you can fit into the mixer. Vodka mixed with that sour-apple pucker over ice is also nifty.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Raptor

Beer - I like to drink Staropramen or Stella. Things like Fosters or Carling tend to make me feel sick from the taste.

I get hangovers easily, I think my body is way more sensitive to water than most people. If I do anything that involves physical effort I have to drink a lot more water than other people or suffer headaches after. So spirits I like vodka, at least that reduces all the other crap that might contribute to a headache the next day.

Absolut vodka is rather nice, I quite like the vanilla one mixed with Coke. JD is also good with Coke.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
MotherofMercies

MoM's grog of choice.

1. Smirnoff
2. Bundy rum not any rum it has to be Bundy rum
3. Smirnoff

Mid rage I guess they are, I don't pay for it so I wouldn't know.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Cicero

No mention of absinthe yet? Well here it is: Absinthe. Good stuff.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Beer - I like to drink Staropramen or Stella. Things like Fosters or Carling tend to make me feel sick from the taste.
STELLA! Yeah mate, Stella is excellent. Started drinking it after I got sick of Fosters.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
insolitus_noir

Has anyone hear ever tried Damiana? It's an herbal liqueur from Mexico that comes in a bottle shaped like a nude Incan goddess (so they say). It's really tasty - makes for neat margaritas.
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Pineapple_Juice

Sometimes I wish I actually liked the taste of any alcohol, but I think it all tastes of piss. Hence, I drink Smirnoff Ice.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
No mention of absinthe yet? Well here it is: Absinthe. Good stuff.
Absinthe is indeed good (I like Arak partially because it's a more... "colorful" [?] version of it, imho), but the only ones that are legal in the US have the best part (the wormwood extract) limited to negligable levels. Although I hear good things about some more authentic versions from Italy.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
AngelikDemonik

Blue moon.

Woodchuck Cider (dark).

Cold apple cider and vanilla vodka.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
STELLA! Yeah mate, Stella is excellent. Started drinking it after I got sick of Fosters.
Fosters is nasty.

You might like Staropramen then, I started drinking it because the bar in my halls has a choice of; Star, Carlsberg, Fosters, or Carling Apparently its a Czech beer.

And for cider, I usually hate it. But Kopparberg is nice, especially the pear one.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #16
JCC

Rum, whisky.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
Mir

Baileys Irish Cream.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
Cicero

I'm going to second Baileys (especially the choc mint and creme caramel flavours... I put those in milkshakes) and Smirnoff Ice.

And in regard to absinthe, I hear the best stuff nowadays can be ordered from France.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
Despanan

Don't touch MD 20/20, cheap wines always hurt in the morning and that shit is barely wine. I'm surprised people who drink it don't end up being stricken blind more often.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
insolitus_noir

Speaking of Bailey's...I'd have to say Tequila Rose.
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #21
CptSternn

Koperberg is good but Bulmers is better (thats Magners everywhere outside of Ireland).

Of course the best thing to drink is a pint o Guinness.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #22
Raptor

Not such a fan of Magners but I haven't had any in a long time.

You can get cider here (Bristol) thats 8.4%, I think it tastes horrible.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #23
Lolly PopMuzik

I don't get why a) this is in TV, Movies and Games and b) what's so special about absinthe.

Apparently, it tastes like licorice and that the effects of drinking it are overhyped (read: More than likely caused by the dangerous dyes used to color it back in the day and the wormwood is very little in today's drinks)

Me, I'll just stick to rum and Coke and generally never try to drink vodka and rum separately in the same evening again. Malibu and Absolut are good ones and I'd love to try some caramel Bailey's as well as the ubiquitous snakebite and black.

Hmm...What's everyone's limit? With me and my small frame, I'm out after 2 or 3 and that's if I ate before hand. Otherwise, it'll be 2 at most.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #24
Raptor

I've never tried absinthe, I do find it funny that Marilyn Manson has his own brand of it though. Mansinthe

I've gone through a 70cl bottle of vodka on more than one occasion since being at uni. I was sick every time, and not in a hurry to do it again. Though it didn't really do anything else apart from make me laugh a bit more than usual. Maybe thats because it was over quite a long time period.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #25
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
Absinthe is indeed good (I like Arak partially because it's a more... "colorful" [?] version of it, imho), but the only ones that are legal in the US have the best part (the wormwood extract) limited to negligable levels. Although I hear good things about some more authentic versions from Italy.

This has changed. It used to be that way. Now it isn't. The ingredients are the same now, but the brewing process is a bit different or something like that. I could be off, but last I checked, full blown absinthe is legal now.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote