Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Gloomtoxin

Repo! The Genetic Opera

I hope you guys have heard about this movie, because I just found out 2 days ago and am ultra excited about it. There is an official site and wiki that I would love to post but can't since I am still a new member. Sorry that you have to actually look it up, instead of simply clicking a link but roolz iz roolz.

I know Paris Hilton is in it, but with the absolute glut of stars from other genres and crafts involved I don't think she can ruin it. Besides most of the mainstream press this movie is getting is simply becuase of her involvement and the mainstream is where you make your money. I mean come on the first movie roles ever for both Sarah Brightman and Nivek Ogre in the same film! WTF! And don't forget that David J and Daniel Ash are just 2 of the hordes of musicians that are creating the score and playing on the many songs that this rock opera will feature.

Plus I am addicted to Bill Mosely, so this movie is pretty much great before seeing it and that is the only reason I could see for not liking it. Maybe it will have too much great stuff in it to live up to expectations and it will just collapse into shit. But, I am going to stay positive on this and can't wait to see it when it is released. If this movie works out as well on screen as it does on paper it could be the newest cult musical, a brand new Rocky Horror type of sensation for people to sing a long to.
Gloomtoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Raptor

Nivek Ogre

Have you seen a release date for it? I want to see this. And The Gene Generation whenever that comes out.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Gloomtoxin

I beleive the date is August 8th, but unfortunately I don't know if it will have an international or national release for that matter. It seems that the producers of the film (Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures) don't know how to market the movie and don't want to lose money on a box office flop when a straight to DVD will make more. So lets hope it gets the attention it deserves becuase I want to see this on an enormous screen.
Gloomtoxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Raptor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otdH3SLNx-s
Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Ebbhead

This is gonna be awesome. ZYDRATE COMES IN A LITTLE GLASS VIAL!
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Raptor

http://www.buzznet.com/www/search/vi...s-making-mark/

Some stuff about Nivek Ogre's character, also shows that at least some of the music was done by Daniel Ash and David J (Bauhaus).
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
gothicusmaximus

I can't imagine why Paris Hilton would choose involve herself in this. Isn't she a rich heiress? I doubt she's genuinely interested in or passionate about this project, and outside of pure desperation, by which she's certainly not afflicted, I can't conceive of any other reason to appear in a movie of this kind.
That the girl from Spy Kids is part of the cast gladdens me immensely.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Raptor

It does seem pretty strange. Apparently the director refused to let her have an audition at first but then decided she was very good.

I've also found out that it's only going to be released in the US at the moment, and only at 10 screens

There isn't a link to the actual trailer in this thread yet so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qM7JJChSQ

This movie has:
Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy)
Nivek Ogre (Skinny Puppy)
Alexa Vega (like Gothicus said, Spy Kids girl)
I think one of the songs has Joan Jett in it briefly at least.

Plus some of the music done by members of Bauhaus.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

I believe I heard that goth-friendly neo-classical band Rasputina helped out with the score also.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
XxBloodyrosexX

This does seem like a very good movie, I can't seem to get the lyrics out of my head like "Graverobber, why do i need you at all?" and "Zytrate comes in a little glass vial etc." But I can't seem to find any definate release dates and being where I'm from (south-central PA USA oh, I told the truth about my destination) you can't find any indie-alt flicks. I can't even get a copy of "Pray for Morning" and that's pretty mainstream (I think O_0) Any difinative release/ places it will show? or will I have to ebay it off the internet?
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Raptor

A LITTLE GLASS VIAL?

Sorry I haven't seen any places yet, but from the description of where you live and the fact it's only at 10 screens, it's unlikely it will be showing near you I'll let you know if I find out, I'm still hoping it will do well and they'll expand it.

And Gothicus is correct about Rasputina.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Cen0bite

Awww..it' says the video has been removed.

edit: oh wait..nevermind..

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Raptor

Another song is up now, Mark It Up. This one has Ogre in it (as Pavi).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_6KvKajYenE
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I can't imagine why Paris Hilton would choose involve herself in this. Isn't she a rich heiress?
Which is why she's perfect for the part. She plays one of the rich, unlikeable, drug-addicted kids of the CEO of Geneco. Supposedly she showed up to audition completely in costume and didn't break character the whole time. But since she's essentially playing herself, albeit with a bit more black, it can't be that difficult.

But yes, I am anxiously awaiting this movie. Been watching it for a little while now and was thrilled to see that someone posted about it here. The setting/plot looks like a cross between horror and cyberpunk, two things I love, and I've gotten several songs stuck in my head already. Unfortunately, I've heard it's going to limited theatrical release like many lionsgate films of late.

For the record, Joan Jett also makes a cameo appearance in the Seventeen musical number, for those of you who didn't watch it.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
stolide

I very much want to see this... Sadly I'm almost positive my parents won't let me...

I'm sure I can find a way to see it...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #16
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Unfortunately, I've heard it's going to limited theatrical release like many lionsgate films of late.
10 US screens only. Though I heard a rumour that it might be changed to a wider release after complaints. Hopefully that will be true (and I hope wider means international).
Old 09-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #17
JCC

This looks terrible.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
stolide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
This looks terrible.
May I ask what looks so bad about it?
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
May I ask what looks so bad about it?
It looks like a shitty, camp B-movie with messy musical direction and the bitch from Spy Kids.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #20
Mealla

Guess we'll see when it actually comes out, but to each his own. If you've already decided it sucks, nothing we say will convince you otherwise.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
It looks like a shitty, camp B-movie with messy musical direction and the bitch from Spy Kids.
And that to you constitutes 'terrible', not 'fucking awesome'?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #22
Fae-wolf

The music in the movie sounds good
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #23
cheap67gold65

Thumbs down I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you

I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you.
I just can't believe the one to love this feeling, too.
I now know how sweet a kiss could be.
Like the summer sunshine,
Your sweetness over me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps and wish you will like it. By the way, we are a professional wow gold online store have been created for many years, we supply cheap wow gold for local customers. You may buy cheapest gold for wow on our website. We provide the cheapest world of warcraft gold all the wow servers and the first class service to our loyal and reliable customers. We have available stock of wow power leveling on most of the servers, so that we can do a really instant way of delivery.
cheap67gold65 is offline   Reply With Quote