Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #26
BeAuTiFuL_NiGhTmArE

Greenday arren't actually a modern punk band. They formed in th 80's and have just made a recent comeback.
BeAuTiFuL_NiGhTmArE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #27
rockandrose

Greenday were formed in 1988 and their music is a blend of pop-punk.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #28
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuTiFuL_NiGhTmArE
Greenday arren't actually a modern punk band. They formed in th 80's and have just made a recent comeback.
I actually caught them quite a few times at Gilman in Berkeley(90-91) before they got signed and over promoted. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now. Even back then people called their music pop punk.I'll take the Exploited and the Misfits(Glenn only) over them any day.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #29
Blushing Heliophobe

Good punk bands don't need to make comebacks.

Take NOFX. They have never had a top 10, and have never released a video to MTV. In fact, MTV is a bunch of dirty corporate bastards - they threatened NOFX. If NOFX didn't give them a video, they would cancel No Use For A Name. They dropped No Use For A Name.

They haven't done an interview since 1997, and all members of the band work regular jobs for a living. In fact, I think Fat Mike works construction, but don't quote me on that one.

Bands like NOFX and the Clash cut back on their own royalties just so that kids can afford to go to their shows and buy their CDs. Check out Henry Rollins' website, you can get CDs from him for 10 bucks.

I don't believe the in the idea that just because a band makes it big that they're sellouts, BUT...

when a band gets some media attention and the first thing they do is change their sound, change their content, and completely leave the scene they came from...

they're no longer a 'good' band to me.

They're pop.

In my oh so humble opinion, pop and punk shouldn't go together anyways, since punk (and then goth) originally spawned from non conformity with what was 'popular'.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:34 AM   #30
rockandrose

I love the New York Dolls and Iggy Pop & the Stoogies, even though they are kinda underated.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #31
TheKorovaMilkbar

Wow, BH, I'm really glad to hear that about NOFX. They sound like good people.

Too bad I'm not into modern punk. I'll still check them out though.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #32
Blushing Heliophobe

A lot of punk bands are awesome like that. They don't compromise.

In fact, at first I didn't like NOFX as much because they don't have very many songs that address political issues or anything like that - they're more for a good laugh. But the band members put their fans first, and have amazing work ethic. Hey, it's a corporate America and no one says you have to, but I believe that's one of the biggest aspects of what makes a band worth caring about, or being a fan of.

That and sounding good, of course!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #33
tenet_2012

No, Xng, that was INXS.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #34
katsumy

I like the 80's punk and rock... is so cool!!
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #35
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Good punk bands don't need to make comebacks.

Take NOFX. They have never had a top 10, and have never released a video to MTV. In fact, MTV is a bunch of dirty corporate bastards - they threatened NOFX. If NOFX didn't give them a video, they would cancel No Use For A Name. They dropped No Use For A Name.

They haven't done an interview since 1997, and all members of the band work regular jobs for a living. In fact, I think Fat Mike works construction, but don't quote me on that one.

Bands like NOFX and the Clash cut back on their own royalties just so that kids can afford to go to their shows and buy their CDs. Check out Henry Rollins' website, you can get CDs from him for 10 bucks.

I don't believe the in the idea that just because a band makes it big that they're sellouts, BUT...

when a band gets some media attention and the first thing they do is change their sound, change their content, and completely leave the scene they came from...

they're no longer a 'good' band to me.

They're pop.

In my oh so humble opinion, pop and punk shouldn't go together anyways, since punk (and then goth) originally spawned from non conformity with what was 'popular'.
Very well said.

And NOFX was always a decent band as well. I haven't heard anything since the mid 90's though :P
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #36
Blushing Heliophobe

"Nubs" is my favorite song...

followed by "Shower Days"...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #37
1TOOMANY

Sorry I missed this.

This is definately my area jeez where do I start;

T.S.O.L, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, Circle Jerks, Subhumans, The Mentors, Bad Brains, The Minutemen, The Misfits, DI, DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, The English Dogs, Crass, The Meatmen, Suicidal Tendencies (THeir first album and Join the Army), The Descendents, Agent Orange, GG Allin, Minor Threat, Gut Instinct, G.B.H., Youth of Today, Waysted Youth, Social Distortion, The Cromags, Sick of it All, Agnostic Front, Dead Milkmen, 45 grave, Drunken Injuns, Mission of Burma, Gangreen, JFA, Murphy's law, McRad, The Faction......These are just some favorites that come to mind, when I think of more I'll put 'em up!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #38
rockandrose

This morning, I was actually listening to a song by the Dead Kennedys, "Holiday in Cambodia".

An amusing song, well for me it is.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #39
Jane13

This morning my mom was driving me to school and I had in my own mixed cd of punk music, and my mom actually started singing to the Dead Kennedy's version of "I Fought The Law". It sounded something like this:

"I fought the law and I won, I fought the law and I... you can't do that without a turn signal!"
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #40
rockandrose

Green Day is a "pseudo-punk band"

Reading this part of an article, made me smile.

Broken dreams for animated Green Day
Iain Shedden
December 15, 2005

"Green Day are a cartoon. They are The Simpsons of rock – a band you can safely let your kids watch even if it is a bit risque, because in the end it all boils down to repeated choruses of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie – oi, oi, oi", a few fireworks and a bit of jumping around in a paddock.

Perhaps that is a simplistic view, but then, pretty much everything Green Day do is simplistic.

They are a three-piece Californian pseudo-punk band with a handful of chords and a similar amount of gestures about youth and, just lately, about the way their country, the US, is going about its business."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html
Old 12-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #41
LightPollution07

Siouxsie and the Banshees were labled punk to start with, werent they? But then in the 80s they got a little darker, and they had sort of a goth tag
LightPollution07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #42
Death101

Black Flag
Minor Threat
TSOL
The Sex Pistols
The Misfits
early Slayer
The Quadrajets
Death101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #43
luciferini

You guys got that nailed down. the only thing I can add is early early punk. Believe it or not, they considered Velvet Underground and Talking Heads punk when they first came out. Beyond that when punk got a bit more punk and less coffee house, The Jam.

BTW the Sex Pistols and The Clash were boy bands. The Clash even admitted it. They were both put together by the same guy because they had an image and half of the members had a talent. The Clash bassist hadn't played guitar or a bass before The Clash. They tried to put him on guitar cuz he looked good, but couldn't learn it, so bass for him. Joe Strummer was the other with little talent to start (he even said so). But who ever said you had to be a good musician to make good music. Not me, I like the clash, but have a tough time calling those two bands punk. I recognize they had a huge influence on the progression of punk and of music in general. yes...I'm ready to be flamed for those comments =P
luciferini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #44
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciferini
You guys got that nailed down. the only thing I can add is early early punk. Believe it or not, they considered Velvet Underground and Talking Heads punk when they first came out. Beyond that when punk got a bit more punk and less coffee house, The Jam.

BTW the Sex Pistols and The Clash were boy bands. The Clash even admitted it. They were both put together by the same guy because they had an image and half of the members had a talent. The Clash bassist hadn't played guitar or a bass before The Clash. They tried to put him on guitar cuz he looked good, but couldn't learn it, so bass for him. Joe Strummer was the other with little talent to start (he even said so). But who ever said you had to be a good musician to make good music. Not me, I like the clash, but have a tough time calling those two bands punk. I recognize they had a huge influence on the progression of punk and of music in general. yes...I'm ready to be flamed for those comments =P
The Sex Pistols and The Clash were managed by two different people. The Sex Pistols were started by Steve Jones,Paul Cook, and another person, before McClaren even got invloved. McClaren tried to take complete control of the band but he clashed heavily with Lydon who called him out much of the time for being a complete idiot. McClaren wanted the Pistols to be like The New York Dolls, but that is not the direction that Lydon wanted to take the band. Lydon wrote almost all of the lyrics while the rest of the band wrote the music. McClaren had NOTHING to do with their musical output. Please do some research before you call The Sex Pistols a 'boy band'. The band, and Lydon in particular, risked their lives to play punk music. You could get jumped and get the crap beat out of you for looking punk, and being in a punk band, back then. I don't think that 'boy bands' have that problem.

The Clash,on the other hand, were being managed by Bernard Rhodes specifically so that they could compete with The Sex Pistols.He groomed them to become popular and to make money.They weren't a boy band specifically,but they were manufactured just to make money. During the early 80's they were a very popular band and had their videos played on MTV all of the time. For some reason kids these days try to say that The Clash were more 'punk rock' than The Pistols. If that was the case then why did they allow their manager to influence their musical output?

Before you make a blanket statement please do some research.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #45
FenrisQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Jeez people - Dead Kennedys anyone?
Of course, Manimal. I be digging Jello Biafra like whoa.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #46
bedlam babe

Punks can be so beautiful like this outfit in 'Ghost World'
bedlam babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #47
luciferini

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
McClaren had NOTHING to do with their musical output. Please do some research before you call The Sex Pistols a 'boy band'. The band, and Lydon in particular, risked their lives to play punk music. You could get jumped and get the crap beat out of you for looking punk, and being in a punk band, back then. I don't think that 'boy bands' have that problem.
Ouch. We'll I'm sure you do know more than I do about them. Definition of a boy band appears to be different for us. I'm ok with that. You may get more undestading of my definition below. Its not 4 guys lined up dancing.

I'm glad to learn Lydon didn't like how they were being pushed. I believe where I got this thinking was based on what I had learned about the clash and admittently may have assumed because how the clash came about had some similar ties and strategies by McClaren. Both were named in what I got my opinions from. Again, you probably know more about it, and I dont care enough about it to research it more, I thought McClaren put Steve Jones and Paul Cook with Lydon and Sid to make them more marketable. That just fit my definition of a boy band. Someone picking people because of image to fill a spot. Like I said...I listen to both so whatever their music output is, if I like it, I'll listen to it. If i'm wrong still, please correct me. The ouch came from "Do more research before saying that". I'd like to discuss it to get more info rather than hours of searching.

But I disagree with one of your points....I bet lots of people who dressed like Marky Mark got the shit kicked out of them. =P Show me one....I'll jump'em.

Its fun sometimes to have a opinion that causes contriversy, so careful about taking this one away from me. lol At least leave me with the Clash.
luciferini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #48
cannibalnuns

I thought the Dictators and the Vibrators (etc and so and so forth) would be mentioned. Eh maybe a few more bands.

Stiff Little Fingers
Dead Boys
The Cockney Rejects
Cock Sparrer
The Business
Chaos UK
Anti Nowhere League
Alien Sex Fiend
MC5
The Blood
The Damned
Velvet Underground
*Maybe Suicide but not so much.
Newtown Nuerotics
The Stranglers
The Adverts
The Adicts
Eater------

Thats about it for now I suppose. -shrug-
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #49
Loy

Bedlam-Just to clarify for you, Enid would have been called a "waver cunt" by all the punk rockers I knew. And she would have slept with all of them just to piss them all off. Punk rock? Umm, she was listening to the Buzzcocks and the Jam, which were to punk rock what Vanilla Ice and M.C. Hammer were to hip hop.

NOFX? Never really cared for 'em. Too much like a Dead Milkmen knock off (oh wait, NOFX sounded like the Descendents, like every other gawd damned "punk" band on Epitapth...Bad Religion excepted). However, Mike put out the new Epoxies album, and the Epoxies fucking rule, so he can't be all bad.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #50
Beowulf

Discharge `Free Speech For The Dumb`
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote