Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Storm

Good quality black lipstick?

So I was about to buy a black lipstick from NYX, but then I decided I should ask if there are any other better brands first. I need something affordable, so nothing over $20 please. I also don't want it to smear easily but I want it to have a nice creamy texture, and glossy finish. Are there any brands that you all would recommend?
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Solumina

Personally I don't wear black lipstick (I'm more of a red lip kind of girl) but MAC makes great lipstick and they have a black. I'm assuming all of their lipstick is the same price so it would be around $15.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
carakitty

Urban Decay is a little pricier ($22 through their website) and I like their black because it is a sheer black. "Oil Slick" certainly is creamy and I'd say it's not wet-glossy but there is shine to it. If you want to make it a full coverage black, mate it with a black eye liner and it's good to go plus has extra staying power.

I'm more of a color on the lips girl too, and I think my age and life style role don't lend themselves well to pure black lips any way. But I do love my Oil Slick with a dark red, purple, or berry-toned liner underneath and it is also awesome to use over a lip stain for a darkening of the color and the added moisture.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Acharis

Most of the blacks available aren't great quality, but since it became a trend some chemist brands started doing black... is there a Revlon one?

All else fails I'd fill in the lips with eyeliner then use cheap black or a dark colour over the top.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Most of the blacks available aren't great quality
That's racist.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
carakitty

lol...

As far as I've seen, the closest Revlon's gotten to black is a very dark purple.

Wet and Wild has made black, but I think it's only out during Halloween and I've not been too happy with WnW lippies in the past.

The black eyeliner with something over it for shine probably is the best bet.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Solumina

Most cosmetic stores, be they boutiques like Sephora or beauty supply stores like Ultra, will have at least a couple of black lipsticks to pick from but your average drugstore will not (at least not unless it is near Halloween), even if the brands that they carry make a black.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Grausamkeit

I bought Black Knight from MAC and I layer a black eyeliner under it, otherwise it's more of a dark grey(black under certain lighting).

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
MissCheyenne

I only ever owned one black lipstick and that was out the window when an elderly lady at the bus stop told me how beautiful it looked.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Storm

Thanks for all advice, everyone! I ended up spending $20 on a black lipstick from Makeup Forever. It's called Satin, and I think it's rather amazing, it stays on for long time, and it has the finish I wanted. I'm going to make a review video for it soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
carakitty

Please post a link to your review when you get around to it!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #12
kazuwacky

I got some black lipstick from Barry M (bought here:http://www.blackbanana.com/product.p...-paint--black-) and love it for nights out. It's pretty thick and you really need to get it on the inside of the lips, plus I found that when I tried to define my cupid's bow it started to look too much (I think this might be the case with all black lipstick's though, anyone else find this?).

What I really loved though was that it lasted for AGES! I even kissed a friend on the cheek right at the beginning of the eve and she was so pleased with it she left it, it stayed there all night! That's a pretty impressive test of longevity :P
kazuwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Dolly Glass

I was personally, very disapointed with NYX's black lipstick. Its more of a shimmery grey-brown, very 90's. I still use it, as it does look nice and lasts well but I definitetly wouldnt recommend it to anyone looking for an actual BLACK lipstick.
Dolly Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
rabbitinthemoon

Stargazer makes a fantastic black lipstick, as well as a lot of other cool makeup.
http://www.glitterstore.co.uk/
rabbitinthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Dolly Glass

I recently bought black lipstick from Portland Black Lipstick Company and it is pretty amazing. A little tricky to apply (I'm going to have to invest in a lip brush) but I highly recommend it if you live in the States.

(I've looked into Stargazer and Barry M but the shipping was so expensive and Manic Panic's black lipsticks never had good reviews.)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Cannon

I'm not sure if this is too late or not, but...

I have two of MAC's blacks, one sheen, one matte.
When I want to do something a bit more daring, I fill my lips with a black kohl liner, and top it off with a black lipgloss from Rimmel called ""Black Diva".
I also have Makeup Forever's Satin Black, which is greatly pigmented, but is drying to my lips unless I put a balm under, but that takes away from the colour.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Dolly Glass

I have the same lipgloss as Cannon. It's surprisingly versatile. Generally I wear it alone, it gives me a subtle gothy look, but it also looks great over other colors like pinks and reds.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
harley

I have heard very good things about MAC's 'Midnight Media'. Their lipsticks are lovely in general.
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I also have Makeup Forever's Satin Black, which is greatly pigmented, but is drying to my lips unless I put a balm under, but that takes away from the colour.
That's the one I ended up getting. I actually really like it, and it doesn't dry my lips out at all. I'm planning on doing a review for it soon. After I use it all up I'm planning on either buying Graftobian's pro black lipstick or Portland Black Lipstick co's jet black lipstick.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
typicallydia

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics lip tar has a pretty sweet black. Nickel did a review of all their lippys but i can't find the vid~

http://www.youtube.com/user/whatstyleistonickel
typicallydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
^^v^^

Make Up For Ever makes a good black lip stick($19). The also have a black lipgloss($17), which is pretty damn amazing.
^^v^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
AresInFurs

I actually don't really mind the Manic Panic PostMortem ($10-$12). I know its trendy/cheesy packaging blah blah blah. But the quality compared to say Urban Decay or MAC products is much smoother and deeper. And no shimmer. I don't know about you but I HATE shimmery shit. Just remember to LINE. If you don't create a clean lining the whole mouth melts after a few hours and creates the worst of messes. From experience haha.

This is a decent list ...

http://www.beautyramp.com/black-lips...ortlisted.html

Enjoy ^_^
AresInFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Dolly Glass

I need to buy a lipliner or black eyeliner pencil. I wore my black lipstick with the lipgloss over top for prom, needless to say I was quite distressed at having found it had 'feathered' out and created a pencil mustache. (Thank-fully I was able to wipe it off and just re-aplied the lipstick, which stayed)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
infoleather

In general, I put it on, it gave me a subtle gothy look, but it is also more than other colors, such as pink and red looks very good.
infoleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
Thorn-v

I have had trouble finding a good black lipstick. So many have tried and failed. I tried Urban Decay's Oil Slick because I loved they had one with glitter, but it came off too easily. The best one I have found so far is Manic Panic's Lethal, which I put the Urban Decay one over and it looks great.
Thorn-v is offline   Reply With Quote