Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 12-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Shadowed Aegis

Canadian Election

For all those following the current election campaign, anyone have any thoughts/views/predictions on the upcoming election?

Personally I'd have to agree with what I've been hearing on various newstations that we'll more than likely just end up with another Liberal Minority government (although a reduced one that now). I just don't see Stephen Harper making enough inroads to launch himself from opposition leader to PM. Mind you, every time that I've listened to the news lately, all I've been hearing is one Liberal MP after another apologizing for whatever idiotic remarks he managed to let slip, so perhaps Harper'll do just fine as the Liberals seem to be shooting themselves in the foot quite nicely.

The big winners in the upcoming election, in my opinion, would probably be Gilles Duceppe and Jack Layton. After the sponsorship scandal, there's little hope that *any* political party outside the Bloc Quebecois would be getting any gains in Quebec. As for Jack Layton, I'd say he could very possibly capitalize on his somewhat successful use of the previous minority government to actually get something done (namely, the Budget) as long as he runs a half-decent and non self-immolating campaign.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
tiffany_the_writer

I am almost certain we will end up with another Liberal Minority government, but I don't mind. Look at the alternatives. I personally don't like Stephen Harper. Apparently he got shot down at the Leaders Debate in french last night, something about gay rights. I think if he doesn't win this election he will be out of there and Peter McKay will be the new Conservative leader. Which might win the Conservatives a bit more support, because he is a more likeable guy. Jack Layton would make a good PM but honestly I don't think he will get in. As for the Bloc I agree with Shadowed Aegis, they always do really well in Quebec. And what's with the Green party? Does anyone think they will get a seat this time? I don't. And yeah wouldn't it be nice if politicans got some work done for a change? lol jk.

p.s. excuse any spelling mistakes.
tiffany_the_writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Disfunction

I'll be voting NDP this round.

I have little fondness for Stephen Harper. In fact, he's the only politician in Canada (other than Miss Belinda) who I find intolerable. If someone else were to lead the conservatives, I'd actually be much more liable to vote for them, despite my liberal views.

Perhaps I'll simply vote green party and leave it at that.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
Disfunction

And yes, I see another minority government coming in.

Liberals have screwed themselves.
Conservatives are not the most popular group.
NDP will surely benefit.
Bloc will likely get in in Quebec.
Green party will remain under the radar.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
tiffany_the_writer

Yeah what is with Belinda and the crossing the floor thing? It makes her look like all she wants is power. Maybe that is true, but it is the job of the member of parliament (sp?) to represent their riding (or whatever its called) and if she felt she could do that better being a Liberal then so be it. ALthough one has to wonder did the voters vote for her because they like her as a person or because she was a Conservative? And a question arises, do you vote for the person because of his/her party and the platform or because you simply like the person?

Some people argue that to better represent your riding or whatever you can simply sit as an independent. I think that is pointless. You can bring up bills or whatever they are but if you don't have a party, it will be only you voting for the bill. Would anything get done? Keep in mind I only really know how the provincial legislature (of Alberta) works so maybe it is completely different than the federal and I am missing the point.

Conservatives are very popular out here in the West, but I don't think they will win enough seats in the East too get into power. (I hope they don't lol)
tiffany_the_writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
tenet_2012

Who cares about Canada?

j/k

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote