Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #76
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
You speak truth, I like you.
Thank you.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #77
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
In my country, it's not the matter of what's necessary, it's unfair

In the 12th grade, if you chose the scientific branch, you take all four subjects in science, calculus, computer, the arabic language, english, the islamic religion for muslims and a book about various things, mostly history

If you want to be a doctor for example, you have to get almost full grades in all of them...
I mean, what the hell? I suck in physics, so my entire future will be screwed up on something i won't be having (our physics text book is about electricity and relativity)
Or history, we've been taking history for our entire lives, but why make it a part of something irrelevant?!!
They don't allow us to choose the subjects that we want, so then in college we just build upon them,.. No, you have to take EVERYTHING!!
Same goes for other majors

Most people who choose the scientific branch choose scientific stuff in college, although -and here comes the ridiculous part- they can study history and geology even if they didn't take it in two years

I wanted to study medicine, but it all got fucked up because i suck at arabic!! (Btw, our subjects in school are all in arabic, while in college they're all in english)

I can go on for days on how this system sucks...
It's because you live in a backwards fucking country.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #78
The Antichrist

[quote=lucylucy]1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Currently unemployed. Hobbies are sex, drugs, and rock n roll.
QUOTE]

I like you already.
The Antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #79
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I think it's universal that you need good grades to go into medicine. Here you need 10A*'s to go to many med schools, and sometimes more to get into the good ones (Oxbridge).

I think it's so you don't give your patients diamorphine for a headache.
At a lot of Australian and UK universities you do need fairly good grades to get into medicine (which are bloody easy to get if you can learn the rules to the exam game) but the main deciding factors are performance in a medical aptitude test and personal interview.

Academic excellence is the least reliable way to tell if someone's going to be a good doctor. That's because although doctors need to be smart, first and foremost they need to be socially competent and have an borderline-obsessive passion for medicine. The highest medical drop-out rates happen to be from the universities that don't bother with interviews...

Regardless of that, the system Geoluhread's having to deal with sounds terrible. Education shouldn't have to be so rigid.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #80
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
At a lot of Australian and UK universities you do need fairly good grades to get into medicine (which are bloody easy to get if you can learn the rules to the exam game) but the main deciding factors are performance in a medical aptitude test and personal interview.

Academic excellence is the least reliable way to tell if someone's going to be a good doctor. That's because although doctors need to be smart, first and foremost they need to be socially competent and have an borderline-obsessive passion for medicine. The highest medical drop-out rates happen to be from the universities that don't bother with interviews...

Regardless of that, the system Geoluhread's having to deal with sounds terrible. Education shouldn't have to be so rigid.
I am so obsessed with it, i couldn't (still can't) imagine myself anything else. People still tell me that I'm the perfect cut out for a doctor and that every doctor must have the passion i have. I still cry that i didn't get it.

Even that i know that it's not as glamorous as it sounds, where we have to see all sorts of patients and stick our hands in all sorts of butts... But...

@Joker in the pack, unfortunatelly i do live in a retarded country, and my father carries the same mentality like every other father here... He didn't allow me to study in Ukraine, even though my mom's side of the family lives there.

Sorry guys for ranting here... But it's all i can think of...
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #81
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:

@Joker in the pack, unfortunatelly i do live in a retarded country, and my father carries the same mentality like every other father here... He didn't allow me to study in Ukraine, even though my mom's side of the family lives there.
A lot of Middle East/Eastern European countries seem to have (or in some cases had) an incredibly strict education system that emphasized all the wrong points. Mind you, our charming educational system is not any better.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #82
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
I am so obsessed with it, i couldn't (still can't) imagine myself anything else. People still tell me that I'm the perfect cut out for a doctor and that every doctor must have the passion i have. I still cry that i didn't get it.

Even that i know that it's not as glamorous as it sounds, where we have to see all sorts of patients and stick our hands in all sorts of butts... But...

Sorry guys for ranting here... But it's all i can think of...
Just for you to ponder; I'll paraphrase my old biology teacher.

If you really wanted to be a doctor for the purpose of helping people, then why not become a nurse instead? Unless you're just in there for the money and the prestige?

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #83
Geoluhread

Quote:
Just for you to ponder; I'll paraphrase my old biology teacher.

If you really wanted to be a doctor for the purpose of helping people, then why not become a nurse instead? Unless you're just in there for the money and the prestige?
I'm obsessed with medicine because the human body is the most amazing thing, to know how everything functions and all... Curing it and getting the chance to see it on various levels, while helping human beings is something close to divine... If i told you that how people look up to doctors isn't affecting my views then i would be terribly mistaken
It has to do with it but not one of the main reasons... It comes like a whole package

And being a nurse is taking care of the patient himself but has got not much to do with the disease... I'm interested in knowing the "why" and the "how"...
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #84
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
I'm obsessed with medicine because the human body is the most amazing thing, to know how everything functions and all... Curing it and getting the chance to see it on various levels, while helping human beings is something close to divine... If i told you that how people look up to doctors isn't affecting my views then i would be terribly mistaken
It has to do with it but not one of the main reasons... It comes like a whole package
Most doctors just spend their time passing out cough medicine.

If you want to see how the body works, then study biology, if you want to help people work for a charity.

Quote:
And being a nurse is taking care of the patient himself but has got not much to do with the disease... I'm interested in knowing the "why" and the "how"...
Then become a health visitor, school nurse, midwife, etc. Nurses do dig out quite a bit of treatment.

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #85
Geoluhread

Quote:
Most doctors just spend their time passing out cough medicine.

If you want to see how the body works, then study biology, if you want to help people work for a charity.

Then become a health visitor, school nurse, midwife, etc. Nurses do dig out quite a bit of treatment.
Doctors here have very interesting careers... I know a guy who is still a student and he tells me about what sort of people come to the hospital, he showed me a surgery that he did...
If i was convinced that nursing is something good for me, i would've chosen it...
And here if you study biology you study about the human body and plants... I despise plants... And the only career for biologists here is teaching...
Again, it's a whole package, in terms of study, place of work, field of work, hours of work... Etc...
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #86
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Doctors here have very interesting careers... I know a guy who is still a student and he tells me about what sort of people come to the hospital, he showed me a surgery that he did...
If i was convinced that nursing is something good for me, i would've chosen it...
And here if you study biology you study about the human body and plants... I despite plants... And the only career for biologists here is teaching...
Again, it's a whole package, in terms of study, place of work, field of work, hours of work... Etc...
Most doctors don't work in hospitals, they work in small surgeries.

Only career is teaching?? Fuck that. What about:
Pollution control
Jobs to do with climate change
Research
Forensics
Psychology
Conservation work
Biologist
Entomologist

to name a few.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #87
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Antichrist
I like you already.
Thanks. I'm glad.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #88
Saya

Quote:

Its taking all the strength in me not to say "Have you considered piracy?" but, have you considered pharmacy? Pursue you're dreams of being a doctor certainly, but if sadly you are unable to, there are still lots of careers in medicine.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #89
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Only career is teaching?? Fuck that. What about:
Pollution control
Jobs to do with climate change

Forensics
Psychology

to name a few.
I'm certain the former two would fall under changing what God made and the latter under devil worship or some such.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #90
Geoluhread

Does pharmacy, biology, nursing all include studying 6 years, training in a hospital, having tons of studying to do, learning about the human body -and only the human body-, being in a career that is stressful, among other things as well?
I said, it's a complete package and i want all of it... Not some of it
After all, you study for the sake of a decent career, all of what you mentioned have careers which I'm not fond of

I have considered every other possibility, not only in what subjects i like, but in subjects that i don't like but do well in...

But studying this stupid system, it makes you settle for less whether you like it or not
For this time, I'm settling for my current major which is forensics (why the hell would it be changing God's work, i don't know, it's totally fine and not against my religion)... After i finish studying this, i might consider studying medicine if i see that that's what's best for me in terms of my career...
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #91
cremationidea

You can also add.... diamond cremation jewelry ..... with all the music and all that...
cremationidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #92
Kaiden

Touchy one....but angel..song is closer to my heart...

Spend all your time waiting
For that second chance
For a break that would make it okay
There's always some reason
To feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day

I need some distraction
Oh beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
Let me be empty
Oh and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight