Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
x-deviant-x

RuPaul's Drag Race, anyone?

Does anyone here watch it?

I probably lose man points for it but I don't care, I've gotten hooked on this show. RuPaul has been an icon for me since high school. I started watching it last season and am addicted to its campyness and character.

Personally I was pissed that Raja won season 2, I was hoping Chandrilla (probably just butchered his name) would get it as he was my favorite queen through the entire season. I loved his personality and charm. He could be a bitch but he was nowhere near as catty as many of the others, such as Raja. But as much as I didn't want Raja to win, he did have the most talent and deserved the crown. I just think he lacked diversity. Alexis was sweet but just seems too clunky, or clumsy. I was surprised he made it to finals.

I love what this show, and RuPaul, has done for drag. While I'm sure some would argue it's made it too commercial, I think it has helped to further legitimize the art form while also giving people who may not understand it a way of actually getting to know the performers and realize just how important what they do is to them. The show is always fun and comical but it doesn't take away from the seriousness of it, and through that, it gives you a sense of understanding each of the queens. If you watch it enough you actually start to care who wins and who loses.

SO, tonight was finally the premier of season 3 and and the first competition was the 2012 RuPocalypse. Gotta love it. it would seem there's a lot more diversity with this cast. Already I'm kind of gravitating towards at least two of them, and possibly a 3rd - I just cant remember their names at this point, while one definitely has to go.

If anyone watches it, I'd like to hear what your opinions are, who you think should win and why, etc. Should be entertaining to see how this one unfolds.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Solumina

I love it and I will cut you if you say that Raja didn't deserve to win, I love the hell out of that bitch. Shangela drove me kind of crazy and I hated how much help she needed from the other queens for pretty much the whole fist half of the season, but I will give credit where credit is due and she killed it when they did stand up. I also thought that Manila was fantastically tacky (I mean seriously who, not only has a pineapple dress but can look flawless in one?), I didn't think she deserved to win but I am so happy that I got to see her go that far.

Also Carmen Carrera kind of makes me feel like a failure as a woman. No one should look that good, let alone a drag queen in a very, very small bikini.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Saya

I love the fuck out of RuPaul's Drag Race, but alas, am unable to watch as I don't have a channel that shows it. I have to wait until its online. And I hate you all.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Solumina

I'm in the same boat as you for the current season as I don't have cable anymore, it makes me really sad
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I also thought that Manila was fantastically tacky (I mean seriously who, not only has a pineapple dress but can look flawless in one?), I didn't think she deserved to win but I am so happy that I got to see her go that far.
LOL that is the beauty of drag. I don't know of any "real" girls that could look as stunning in a pineapple dress. Or any other dress for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Also Carmen Carrera kind of makes me feel like a failure as a woman. No one should look that good, let alone a drag queen in a very, very small bikini.
LOL.
Carmen got on my nerves. He had a constant "I deserve it and if you don't see that you're just stupid" attitude that made me want to choke him, and none of his gowns were all that great that I can remember. Yeah he was sexy, but sexy is boring. Drag requires way more than just sexy and his ego proved to be his downfall.

Yes Raja deserved it, I just didn't want him to win. BUT, in the end it really humbled him and somehow showed he really wasn't as big of a bitch as he portrayed himself to be. He could have been a bit nicer, but drag queens aren't nice, they're fierce. And nice drama isn't drama.

I LOVED how Ms. Needles showed everyone else up, especially after all the others were bitching about how scary and freakish she is and how she had no business being there. Fucking AWESOME. Her costume was beyond fabulous. There was some serious Lady Gaga/Manson lovechild influence in that one. I'm rooting for her, the guy that hit on her and the older guy that looks like Cher. And maybe by next week I'll have all their names right. But, it's too soon to really pick someone just yet cause we gotta get to know all the others first and see what they can do.

That one bitch that walked in first has GOT to go tho. That's the kind of attitude I fucking hate with queens. Who gives a fuck if you've been on TV, everyone there starts at zero, bitch.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x View Post
Carmen got on my nerves. He had a constant "I deserve it and if you don't see that you're just stupid" attitude that made me want to choke him, and none of his gowns were all that great that I can remember. Yeah he was sexy, but sexy is boring. Drag requires way more than just sexy and his ego proved to be his downfall.
To me Carmen is just like any of the girls from Jersey Shore (just better looking) unnecessarily rude and conceited with no discernible talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x View Post
Yes Raja deserved it, I just didn't want him to win. BUT, in the end it really humbled him and somehow showed he really wasn't as big of a bitch as he portrayed himself to be. He could have been a bit nicer, but drag queens aren't nice, they're fierce. And nice drama isn't drama.
Maybe that is why I like Raja more than most people do, he was such a sweetheart on America's Next Top Model (don't judge me for liking that show), he was seriously the stereotypical supportive but gossipy makeup guy.

Side note: it looks like RuPaul is going to be back at DC's pride event this year, which I am finally going to attend so fuck yeah I get to see RuPaul. Be jealous.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
satanicangel66689

Love the show! New episode is tonight
satanicangel66689 is offline   Reply With Quote