Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
aspiring

What was your high school experience like?

Did you do any sports?
what classes did you take?
who did you befriend? Were you in a clique of other like minded individuals?
how did you like your high school experience?

I personally am going INTO high school, so i was just curious as to other's experiences.
aspiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
carakitty

I was on track + field until I let my grades slip + got kicked off the team.
I did choir and drama all the way through.
I took the usual required HS stuff. My electives were the artistic things.
I was friends with and mainly hung out with the artsy-hippie-grungy kids.
I also had friends from other groups, though we didn't hang out much.
I generally think my HS experience wasn't that bad, all things considered.

Enjoy it while you can and make the most of it!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Hearts_Purple

I didn't go to High School for even a full day. I dropped out after the 8th grade and got my GED due to panic attacks.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Anarasha

I tried to take one class in high school as kind of a special arrangement.
I tried to take an english class lasting 2 years. 6 months later, I dropped out because my co-students in fact did not speak english.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
allyssa

I went to a catholic school which sucked. I had severe problems after graduation with identity. I had to wear uniforms and other nonsense.
I spent most of my time hanging out with the university crowd, and going to dance parties, mdma, drama, won a lot of visual art awards, and wrote a lot of poetry. Basically I tried to develop my talents so that when I went to university
I would excell...I also got expelled (that's complicated) and reinstated for getting high grades.

basically I was trained to forever be a tortured artist/bohemian
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Sinjob

So I attended a therapeutic boarding school for two years. Pretty much a dystopia I complained about and attempted to "fight the system" in the most retarded ways possible.

And oh do I have stories. So many. But we should save that for another time.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Solumina

I liked high school. I suppose I was the token "weird kid" that was friends with the cool kids, my close friends were mostly history and/or drama geeks, but my two closest friends were kind of cliqueless like me, and they are both still some of my best friends. I hung out with everyone, if you sat near me we became friends, if you had a locker near me we became friends, if we had a mutual friend then we became friends. I didn't play on any school teams but I was in a bunch of clubs, the only one that I actually stayed in all four years was the Latin Club, because we all know that is where all the cool kids are.

I mostly took advanced classes and ended up taking 5 AP courses my senior year. My favorite elective was psychology, although etymology was pretty awesome too. My favorite core class was Latin, mostly because my teacher was amazing, also because the Latin students got to go on a trip to Greece my senior year (I mean sure it wasn't like the school payed for the trip or anything but it was still an incredible experience).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
JCC

It was great.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Ben Lahnger

I was bored to tears. I got stoned and drunk a lot, refused to do most of the homework, got A's on most of the tests thereby irritating my teachers and parents profusely when I graduated with a C average. Socially, it was one party after another. Good times!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I got stoned and drunk a lot
Ben wins this contest.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
honeythorn

I was bullied all day almost every day by the same group of boys who bullied me in Primary school. I was overweight ( but nowhere near the biggest in school by a long shot ) had acne ( like a great deal of others of a similar age ) and was quiet (like many ) . Most days I felt like walking into traffic so I could end up either in a hospital or dead,and be free of them and have some peace and quiet .

I hung out with an average ( in popularity ) group of people, many of whom I still hang out with now, 3 of them have recently got married (2 to eachother) which was great .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Kids weren't nice to me at all, but I had a good time anyway in my junior and senior year.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Anarasha

Kids are often mean to people who deviate just a little from the norm. It's sad really.
Or is that just in Denmark?
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Tam Li Hua

Did you do any sports?

Only in PE.

We didn't have many electives, so pretty much just the standard.

who did you befriend?

No one. I just wanted to be left alone.

Were you in a clique of other like minded individuals?

No. Unfortunately.

Meh; wasn't the worst, wasn't the best. Was glad to graduate and go on to bigger and better things.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Fruitbat

I didn't do any sports. I hung out with a group of eight other girls, all of whom weren't in any cliques. High school was ordinary.

Boring, full of teachers who didn't give care about the students, who didn't control their classes and I spent a lot of time not going to class.

I still refuse to go to High School reunions - I'd want to take down the school bullies - LOL.

All I remember is that the supposedly cool kids at school turned into the most ordinary people outside of school. I thought they would fly high and be amazing people but the mega biatch at school became a hairdresser and a mom.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
LenorePoe

My first high school was great. a very artsy alternative type of high school, I wasn't the most popular but I had a few good close friends, and I had a good time.
I then transfered when I went into the foster system, to a foster home/ high school. most miserable time of my life.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
All I remember is that the supposedly cool kids at school turned into the most ordinary people outside of school. I thought they would fly high and be amazing people but the mega biatch at school became a hairdresser and a mom.
Hahaha, yeah. Most people got a trade after high school and now have to go to Alberta or live out around the bay. One person I always thought was a bitch is actually pretty cool now, though. And they're all getting married and reproducing, its scary.

High school for me was good after they closed down the old high school and moved everyone to a bigger high school, I got to make more friends that way. I guess because we were the first class in a brand new high school, it was like everyone was the new kid so we didn't form cliques, although there was a group of friends I mostly stuck to, we didn't have anything that defined us.

Although there was a group of girls who became like a pro-anorexia group, closest thing to a clique I think we had. They idolized the characters of Mean Girls and had pita bread and lettuce every day for lunch O.o I think they're all okay now though, one's a mom and decorates cakes.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
vindicatedxjin

I was homeschooled, it was pretty much uneventful.. and involved way too much reading. In my sophomore year, I started taking college courses. This involved hanging out with kids who were much older than me, which in turn got me in a tad bit of trouble

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
ape descendant

I was in high school for a bit then I got pulled out to be home schooled, then I got put back into high school.. it was a confusing and traumatizing time in my life, something I'd never ever want to repeat.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #20
d0p3y

like Ben I did'nt feel challenged enough in high school so i basically turned to skiping school and getting high.

Behind my school there was a vast wooded area and when one wanted to skip you would just go in to the "woods" and get lost there so I basically did'nt have much of a "high school" experience i just hung out with the kids that were "too cool for school" I guess.

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0p3y View Post
Behind my school there was a vast wooded area and when one wanted to skip you would just go in to the "woods" and get lost there so I basically did'nt have much of a "high school" experience i just hung out with the kids that were "too cool for school" I guess.
d0p3y, you didn't have much of a "high school" experience, but you had a great "high" school experience!

*insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here*

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
Azareal Crow

I did try to join the wrestling team but they wouldn't let me because I am female and so obviously so but I was part of the Drama club and the art club.
I took all the required classes and actually spent a term as a part of the gospel choir.
Friend wise I was part of a small but growing group of outcasts because I went to a fully urban school and it wasn't acceptable to them to be anything other than an aspiring thug or gangsta or just plain ghetto. I did however get along with a lot of people in like the band and like literally two jocks.

All in all my HS live was normal, eventful, there were only three ways people felt about me, you either hated me (I never did anything to anyone) you liked me (I don't really know why, I didn't and still don't think I'm that attractive) or you didn't know who I was. I think that's normal tho for HS.
I made a lot of friends that I'm still friends with to this day and learned a lot about being comfortable in my own skin. So of you're looking for advice, I'd say be yourself and see what happens, never regret anything just learn from it, most the the people you're going to meet are temporary so don't let them make lasting negative impressions on your life and your vision of yourself.
Azareal Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Did you do any sports?
ANSWER: Yes, handball, raquetball and scuba (yes we had a wealthy high school, they provided the scuba tanks and gear and huge pool and everything).

ANSWER:Besides the electives, electronics every year (they had Electronics I, II and III and my senior year I had open class and just built equipment and researched). Also astronomy, chemistry and English.

who did you befriend? Were you in a clique of other like minded individuals?
ANSWER: Almost everyone. I was very fortunate in that I had many friends. On my 18th birthday one of my best friends said "let's go cruising" and took me to a restaurant on Pacific Coast highway in Newport Beach, and in a banquet room in the back I was presented with a surprise birthday party by 18 of my closest friends! I am still in touch with a dozen of them to this day 36 years later, so try to keep in touch with the friends you make in high school, they are the best treasure of all in life.
But we were not like minded. We were all different, had different aptitudes, hobbies, intelligence etc, just like any other high school population.

ANSWER: I loved it. the teachers, the subject matter, the field trips the friends, the proms and other dances are all some of my favorite memories.
Here I am at 16 going to a homecoming dance:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...mecoming-a.jpg

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Breathless Horror

Quote:
I was bored to tears. I got stoned and drunk a lot, refused to do most of the homework, got A's on most of the tests thereby irritating my teachers and parents profusely when I graduated with a C average. Socially, it was one party after another. Good times!
That's basically me except more stoned and less drunk, as well as a little tweaked. The only classes I enjoyed were grade 11 World Religions, and grade 12 Writer's Craft and Law. "Writers craft" was basically creative writing, and my WR and Law teachers were the two best teachers I'd ever had.

I played two fucking awesomely fun years of Rugby (I was hook). It fucked up my back a little, but the twinge is, at the moment, still worth the fun it was at the time.

On the whole I would have happily dropped out, but I ended up graduating to make my parents happy.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #25
d0p3y

Quote:
d0p3y, you didn't have much of a "high school" experience, but you had a great "high" school experience!

*insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here*

wow ben, hurt your brain with that one?

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote