Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Honestly, people are too self-absorbed to really notice or care when someone's looking a little bit worse for the wear. They're usually too busy focusing on how bad they think THEY look.

Aside from the "Obese but healthy" thing, body acceptance websites and stuff are something to look into. I suggest having a google-thon on Fat-O-Sphere and DietsNotRiots.tumblr.com if the issue is weight.
Do you mean Riots Not Diets?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #27
Fruitbat

So what is your motivation to exercise/improve your fitness?

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #28
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
To keep up with my hyper children and be fit for my future nursing career. Being fit also just feels good. My husband is pretty much oblivious to my waist size no matter how big or small so I don't really do anything on the basis of keeping him around. He does enjoy watching me attempt to bellydance, though. Another goal is to never gain so much weight that falling when I'm olde will ensure a whole day or two of being stuck like my grandmother.

BlacKat, for everything that you find that you dislike about your body, find at least one thing you like. I think that maybe for me age has played a part in mellowing how I once felt about myself. To a degree, I'm still insecure, but I no longer let it eat away at me. Think of your accomplishments when you feel down on yourself.

Saya, l'il help, hun? I'm not great with the motivational stuff.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #29
Versus

Quote:
Girls are watching.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #30
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Girls are watching.
Yes, yes we are!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #31
Fruitbat

Quote:
My motivation was that I knew at my age and fitness level that keeping up with a small child was going to be impossible.

Plus there is a myriad of health benefits with working out and it's my last chance to look great before I get too much older.

I work out for me. No one else. I compete against myself, trying to increase my weights, or time/inclination on the treadmill and I don't care what anyone else in the gym says or does or looks like.

Why be fit? Because everything in life is easier, you have more energy and you improve your long term health.

Versus Don't you mean Saya is watching? I don't watch, I only glance, and even then it's only at your boots.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #32
honeythorn

Quote:

I'm overfat, I have been all my life and I have wasted just over a quarter of a century being that way. It's not right and it looks disgusting.

The health benefits are minimal for me as I wasn't massively unfit to begin with and have always been active. I simply consumed more calories than I burned and gained fat ( which can easily be done even for extremely active people never mind anyone else)

My health hasn't really improved at all to be honest, and I have actually had my first ever colds and more coughs ect, which I never ever had when I was fatter.

But I look better and that's what matters to me. Anyhoo, I'm off to the gym again so ta-ta for now.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #33
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat
I think exercise can be fun, I really like playing badminton for example, yoga is relaxing and belly dancing looks like a blast, and I'd like to have some strength and endurance, because right now I'm pretty pathetic XD

And right now its an excuse to go down into the basement for privacy, where its nice and cold.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #34
MissCheyenne

My motivation? Hmmm, a few reasons really. I have a hyperactive, autistic seven year old to take care of/chase after, a sick mum to get around (wheelchairs are so much heavier than you expect them to be) plus, I like wearing nice clothes and all the really nice clothes just aren't made for fat people. I know I'll never be super slim, I don't have that kind of frame (cheers dad) but I can at least try to be healthy. It just sucks super balls that the biggest side effect from two of the medications that I really need is weight gain

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
BlacKat

I think my motivation died around when the weather hit 90 degrees...
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Fruitbat

Blackat heat can certainly be a de-motivator, but you could always try exercising early in the morning when the temperature is at it's lowest.

MissC
- wheelchairs are heavy and medication weight gains are a bitch.

HT Weight creep is a major issue for most people. It doesn't take much to overeat.

Saya So what are you up to in the basement? I agree exercise should be fun. I remember Oprah talking about how she absolutely hated to exercise. Everything that we hate is always harder to do. It's a matter of changing our mindset.

I'd do bellydancing tomorrow if there were classes closer to where I lived.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
Saya

So far, mostly hula hooping.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #38
Jonathan

I have decided to officially stop dicking around and become less lazy. And also get strong like ox.

I have started a lifting routine, and have nearly met the bench pressing standards of an intermediate female of my weight. I hope to surpass this humiliating milestone within the week.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #39
Solumina

Lately moving boxes around has taken the place of working out, it isn't as much fun as my normal workout but it was kind of necessary (okay so it was only necessary to move my stuff, I didn't/don't have to help my friend with her move but I'm nice like that).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #40
Fruitbat

Saya Hula hooping is awesome fun. My hoop as LED lights in it, so I can glow in the dark.

Sol What is your usual workout.

Jon We all have to start somewhere

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #41
Grausamkeit

Hula hoop! I wish I still had mine.

Saya, why do you hula hoop in the basement?

Jon are you saying that it's humiliating that you can only lift as much as a strong girl or only as much as a weak girl? Either way, sex shouldn't matter as much as fitness.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
Saya

Because its cold down there! And no one else goes down there, so I have privacy.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #43
Grausamkeit

I wish I had someplace to go to get some privacy. How much does that cost?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #44
Catch

It costs gas out to a park or graveyard.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #45
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Jon are you saying that it's humiliating that you can only lift as much as a strong girl or only as much as a weak girl? Either way, sex shouldn't matter as much as fitness.
Key word being shouldn't.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #46
honeythorn

I don't know how anyone finds working out fun. I absolutely HATE it. I have not once found a type of exercise I actually like ( I personally do not class things like bellydancing as exercise, they tone the body somewhat but unless the dances are extremely energetic and done several days a week , will not make anyone lose fat )
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #47
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I don't know how anyone finds working out fun. I absolutely HATE it. I have not once found a type of exercise I actually like ( I personally do not class things like bellydancing as exercise, they tone the body somewhat but unless the dances are extremely energetic and done several days a week , will not make anyone lose fat )
I find exercise enjoyable, but not fun - but not fun in the same category as really fun things. I'd class bellydancing as exercise, just like I'd class any form of dance exercise.

But then I use my time exercising to work through plot problems in my book or work out my frustrations. Plus I'm one of these really annoying people who can't get motivated to do anything she hates, so I change the way I perceive things so I don't hate exercise and I look forward to it and make it a challenge (and I love challenges).

Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #48
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I like to workout and exercise. *shrug* I also consider bellydance and anything where you are getting up and actually engaging your muscles and cardiovascular system for 45 minutes or more 'exercise'. I don't know about most people, but I do workout several times a week using bellydance for cardio and it's longer than 45 minutes(closer to an hour).

I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I can do more pushups(plank, not on my knees) in a row than before. I like that I can open my own jars and lift heavy objects without needing to call on a man to do it for me.

Screw you, I can open my own jars!

Even if you're only doing low impact cardio you will still lose fat if you are creating a calorie deficit each day and doing some type of physical activity.

Most people think of working out as a chore. To me, it is 'my time' that I get to myself and I often work through things in my head like Fru does during my strength training. When I'm dancing I'm too busy concentrating on doing the moves correctly to be bothered by anything else.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #49
Saya

Wii Fit again let me think of it as a game, and that was fun and made me feel competitive XD

I enjoyed hula hooping, jump rope, badminton and hiking when I was a kid, so it continues now. I also used to love floor hockey and volley ball, but not enough to join a team anywhere. If I ever stop being frail and delicate I'd love to take up roller derby. I really hated Mom's excercise tapes, so I avoid work outs like that.

And exercise isn't about losing weight, I can't afford to lose any. Its just keeping fit and active.

Man now I want to play dodge ball or capture the flag XD gyms should have more games we played as kids.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #50
Grausamkeit

I was just responding to what Honeythorn said about bellydancing having to be extremely energetic in order for the person doing it to lose weight.