Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #26

Sounds like you went to a good school.

Circle Jerks? Husker Du? They aren't in my list of Anarcho-punk bands...

Should they be?
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #27
Empty_Purple_Stars

Well back in their day, I suppose they were the pioneers of that whole ideal, in my opinion.

There are a few Husker Du tracks HERE.

Zen Arcade & Flip Your Wig were their best albums in my opinion. "Pink Turns to Blue", "Celebrated Summer" and " Don't want to know if you're lonely " are still on my "Best Punk Songs Ever" list.

Keith Morris from Black Flag started Circle Jerks. They are truly one of the first punk bands, and were as loud and anti-establishment as they came back then."Live Fast, Die Young" was one of their best songs, and an angsty anthem for me, way back when.. There are some sample of a few of their tracks HERE.

All in all they are both definitely worth a listen, if you're interested in the roots of Anarchist Punk.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #28
Blushing Heliophobe

It's a great idea but it's really not feasibly possible, for reasons that many have already stated. I think the best thing to do is keep the spirit of the Anarchy movement alive by working to make positive change within our societies and governments today.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #29

Woah, E_P_S, I'm impressed! I managed to listen to the Husker Du songs from the link you gave me. Great link by the way!! Quite a selection they have there. The link for the Circle Jerks only works within the US so I couldn't listen. But I went to the HMV site and listened to some songs from Group Sex. All songs less than 1 min 40 secs, I like those numbers!

Blushing: "positive change". Wise words sister. Secret meeting at the docks tonight. Be there.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #30
Blushing Heliophobe

Take Anti-Flag for example.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #31

Not sure I follow you. "Anti-Flag" is that a band? Or are you suggesting we burn all national flags.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #32
Blushing Heliophobe

Anti-Flag is an awesome punk band. They are anarchists, but they do a lot to change what's going on politically today.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #33

And I though I was going to learn about Anarchism in this thread! Silly me. I'll check them out, thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #34
CptSternn

Anti-Flag, Anti-Heros, The Descendants, Moral Crux, they all are good. Oh yeah, and I booked em all at da club I used to work.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 AM   #35
Kali Maxwell

If you give everything to a person, they will only want more.

If you turn a blind eye on mistakes, less and less care will be taken to avoid making them.

If you tempt a person to steal, lie, or cheat enough -- if you can rationalize it enough -- that person will steal, lie, or cheat.

If there is no punishment, there is no reason not to do something. Take away the penalty for murder and you imply that murder is not that bad. More murders will inevitably result.

The only reason people obey the ten commandments is because God threatens them with Hell. It has nothing to do with mankind's inner angel. It has to do with man being afraid of pain.

Take a look at little kids. If they want something, they'll just try to take it. This is without conditioning, without being told that they have to play nice and share, and a lot of the time even with this conditioning. Humans think about the individual first.

If somebody gets something stolen from them, we say, "Oh, that's too bad." If somebody steals something from us, we want heads to roll.

Anarchy can never work, at least not until mankind has "evolved." And mankind has been around for a *long* time. If we were going to outgrow this sort of behaviour, one would think we'd show signs of it by now...
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #36
tenet_2012

I am a closet anarchist. I would have to agree that in today's society, it wouldn't work.

We are not getting any better, either. Greed is ruling the world, the number of violent crimes is skyrocketing, people are killing each other, not only in the cities, but also in more rural areas, and I can't help but notice a kind of sinister aura about these days.

Something is going to break soon. If the hman race survives that we may be able to have a very loose anarchy. We may have evolve to that.

But right now, it would be impossible.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #37
tenet_2012

"I pledge the grievance to the flag
Of the United State of America
And to the Republicans whom I can't stand
One nation under smog, indespicable
With liberty and justice for some, not all."

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #38
Snugglekeeg

I view Anarchy like I view Marxism, they are excellent ideas but I have no confidence in my fellow man to fully see them implemented without resorting to chaos or totalitarianism. My personal beliefs lie somewhere betwixt Anarchism and Nihilism.
Snugglekeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #39
Cambodian Breakfast

I think that a brief peroid of Anarchy would be good for the world. It will rid ourselves of overpid fatcats that makes our laws and rules for us. It couldn't last though. It would make me to tired. A little revolution is nedded from time to time.
Cambodian Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #40
A Simple Poet

Someone wrote that Anarchy is fine when it is Romantic. Well, that's what the French Revolution was....but I understand your point.

Shiny Happy People Holding Hands.

The Wikipedia article also talks about various degrees of anarchists which by it's very nature of categorization does not seem to me to resemble true anarchy.

Nice theory.

It'll never work due to the myriad of reasons previously cited.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #41
Cambodian Breakfast

I know and it makes me weep ever night. I just hope I wake up one day with the world crashing around me and find the goverment revised. That would be a good day.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #42
dreamydancer

No……just, no. Anarchy is for thirteen year olds with bad taste in music (excluding the real anarchists). When at least you can’t imagine anything worse than a corrupt government there’s anarchy. I don’t believe there would be much left after a brief period of anarchy. Think of how gross it would be if convicts were free to roam the streets and not even hesitate to commit any violent act. The whole point of an established system is to protect people from their natural calling of the flesh. Heehee, it’s funny that we have to protect ourselves from our own subhuman tendencies. It would make more sense if we were ruled by a superior race. (Forgive me if I’m full of shit.)

Conspicuous public murders, wrecked businesses and companies, and the mere thought of dumb people and their even dumber and more so unmotivated ideas do not strike me as a very uplifting revolution.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #43
Cambodian Breakfast

Anarchy is for little punk that really don't have any concept or grasp on reality, but I am trying to convey that to reset the system people need to taste a little horror. Poiltations need to see what theie are doing and relize that personal gain shouldn't matter in a public office. I am the furthest thing from an anarhist but it is a fun idea to kick around. Just an idea.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #44
Crom Crauch

...since this is an anarchy thread... why not look up anarchy literature? A good place to start would be with a copy of "Patterns of Anarchy" which was published in the '70s...

Iucunda macula est ex inimici sanguine

Quod sum eris
Crom Crauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #45
Icarian Decoding

I think the best authority on Anarchy would be textfiles of the eighties, but I'm not sure where you'd find them. I know textfiles.com has some good ones, but it's mostly mixed with, "Mk ur wn b0ms!".

Anyway, my opinion of Anarchy is this: No.
That's right. A single word: No.
Any benefits I can see it having, would be shot down by one thing: Human Stupidity.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #46
Lackluster_Heavens

Icarian, it would not be shot down by human stupidity, it would be shot down the evils of humans.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #47
Wise Child

I think you're both right. All too often, the two go hand in hand.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #48
Cambodian Breakfast

Human stupid ruins most things. Even Chaos. That's sad.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #49
Engulfed_in_darkness

Anarchy is already ruling, one way or another.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #50
Cambodian Breakfast

With Anarchy ther is no ruling.