Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
xcedaniels

Wearing wigs as a male goth?

My style has always been goth and I've always either had weird colored hair, or jet black and long. I'm starting to loose my hair and I want to consider a wig but I'm just wondering if that would be a bad idea? Are there any male goths who have/currently wear wigs or hair pieces? I really hate the bald look, I think it looks fine on alot of guys but just not for me
xcedaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Acharis

Just go for it man, even if you only try wearing it at home. Do what you want to do. Try a cheap one off eBay and knock some of the artificial shine off it with a tiny bit of talc.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
shadowynne

Do what makes you comfortable. Wigs are all good man, if you are comfortable in a wig than that's all that needs be said. Bald, wig... does not matter. What makes you feel good is good.
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Anise

I wear a lot of wigs because I do cosplay .. prefer wig wearing as opposed to wash in wash out dyes When I was younger I tended to go mad with hair dye, and to be honest it really takes a toll on the hair! So overall wigs are great for changing a look instantly .. and if you look after them, they'll last; so less upkeep.

I think you should go for it! As a friend, I'd suggest some research into the type of product/s that will suit your needs. There's heaps of wigs on the market, but they vary in quality. I reckon a real human hair wig is probs what you're after?
Synthetic wigs .. some are great, but some look like wigs

Have a look around, try to get feedback from those who purchase and once ya get a brand that you like stick with it, invest in other styles/colours by that maker .. and rock on!

Making yourself feel good .. comfortable .. ain't nothing wrong with that bro.
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
mrtrashy

I have a very long black wig with a long fringe, I don't think it looks bad but really very good and I've only gotten compliments from it, and it does make me feel great. Just gotta make sure it's fitted correctly on your head and doesn't fall off which is something I find if I'm not careful.
mrtrashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Anise

Do you wear a wig cap? Have seen them around Ebay ..
I use a pair of thin denier tights with legs cut off (I'm classy).
But I find it gives the inner skin of the wig something to adhere to.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
Stormbringer

No, at the age of fifty I'm comfortable with my almost bald head, I usually get a #1 hair cut too. I wore a wig once when I went to a costume party as Ozzy Osbourne - it was fuck'in hell.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
Molster

I don't see why not, as long as you are happy wearing it and the look it gives that is all that matters.
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
Anise

Hmmm yeah, there is that .. Stormbringer's right, they can be a tad itchy or hot to wear. That's why I mentioned real hair wigs, tbh as mine are purely for cosplay purposes I've only ever purchased a reasonable quality synthetic wig - suffices for my needs. And actually the Kanekalon type products, some are pretty ok in terms of quality. Realistic looking etc .. haven't tried real, but maybe they're more comfy, less scratchy?
Defo realistic - it IS hair

I think in reference to thinning, receding or balding hair, it's a very personal issue. It's how each individual feels .. of course this is in the majority an experience that is more likely attributed to males .. but females can relate to hair loss issues too. Alopecia doesn't discriminate, nor do cancer treatments that cause hair loss. Some women experience hair loss or thinning due to pregnancy. Like Molster, I believe in doing whatever's appropriate to your personal needs, regardless of gender. Personally I find a shaved head on a guy to be a rocking look, particularly if sported with a devilishly good goatee or long beard, or braided beard = lush!

Throwing out a random example here, but Mudvayne bassist, that's a totally hot look and no one can dissuade me that it's not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_5UOkUDti8
Old 12-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
SoftShocks

I use to wear wigs before I grew my hair out. I say go for it.
SoftShocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Rats

Go for it if you really want! Make sure you start with a good quality wig. Make sure you research the type of wig you will get before making the purchase!
Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:06 AM   #12
Acharis

I'm bored with my hair, but it's not like I can maintain an actual style.
If I was braver, had the room to store them and didn't forsee lapsing back into clutter I would buy a couple of wigs just for variety.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote