Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
*~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*

Angry Grandparents freaking out

My grandparents are freaking out because i want to be goth. They hate the chains and bondage and all the black. I feel like sliting their throats in their sleep because they keep complaining. HOW DO I GET THEM TO SHUT THE FUCK UP?!?!?!?!
*~Kendra_666_gothgirl~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
horrorgirl

Oh dear god......yet another angst post. If you think that being goth is all about dressing in black and acting angry then just give up...okay?

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
*~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
Oh dear god......yet another angst post. If you think that being goth is all about dressing in black and acting angry then just give up...okay?
I know its not about wearing black, they are just not leting me express myself
Old 01-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
horrorgirl

When you are 18 move out. Just saw that you are only 13.....oh well...you will have to live without 'dressing in chains' for quite a while. Sorry to sound pissy but I'm sick of angsty teens complaining about parental issues.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Circle V

Think about what the Gothic style of dress and its components symbolize to your grandparents.

Black = death, darkness, often associated with people like the Columbine killers
Chains = confinement, torture, potential weapons, sadomasochistic sex
Bondage = sadomasochistic sex
Dark makeup/pale skin = sickness, death

Keep in mind that your are much too young (in the opinion of most) to know anything about SM sex. Whether you wear bondage for practical reasons or because it looks cool, it still symbolizes a twisted sexuality that most grandparents or parents would find unacceptable. How would you like it if your grandma started dressing like a hooker? Believe it or not, it's not that different. It is obviously in your best interest for your grandparents to steer you away from things that have to do with death and sex.

You've already proven that your grandparents have reason to worry about you by saying "I feel like sliting their throats in their sleep because they keep complaining." When you say things like that, it only reinforces the negative stereotypes that your grandparents no doubt know about.

My advice is to talk to them about what the Gothic culture really is. I'm of the opinion that you don't quite know very well yourself-- your name, for example, demonstrates a need for you to prove to yourself and others that you truly are a Goth. Goths don't need to label themselves as such in order to prove their worthiness, nor do they need to use references to Satan to prove their "darkness."

There are a few things you need to figure out:

Why exactly do you want to dress like a Goth? If it's just to piss off authority, guess what? You got your wish. If it's to express your individuality, I'd suggest you develop your own style rather than imitating others. If it's because you truly like the style, or feel that it suits you perfectly, fine.

Why exactly do your grandparents want to stop it? They may want to spare you from the negative attention that your style of dress *will* attract, or they may simply be intimidated by it. They may just think that it "looks bad." Perhaps they believe that the Gothic culture and style of dress have a lot to do with things like the Columbine killings, drug use, and violence. Find out what they believe, and correct them. Politely.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Tall One In Black

Slitting their throats would be a really bad idea. You think you're miserable now - try juvenile prison, which, depending on your area, may come complete with an orange jumpsuit. There's your serious bondage gear right there.

Why don't you try accepting the fact that you're a teenager and you depend on someone else to take care of you? And for taking on that burden, those people deserve some respect. Stop acting like a whiny little brat and maybe your grandparents will back off.

Read what Circle V wrote - it's very good advice.

And next time you feel angsty, post in the Rant thread. Do not create your own thread in the Fashion forum.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
*~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Slitting their throats would be a really bad idea. You think you're miserable now - try juvenile prison, which, depending on your area, may come complete with an orange jumpsuit. There's your serious bondage gear right there.

Why don't you try accepting the fact that you're a teenager and you depend on someone else to take care of you? And for taking on that burden, those people deserve some respect. Stop acting like a whiny little brat and maybe your grandparents will back off.

Read what Circle V wrote - it's very good advice.

And next time you feel angsty, post in the Rant thread. Do not create your own thread in the Fashion forum.
ok, first of all my grandparents are way too over protective and i have a 12 year old cousin that lives with me, who is a prep, who wants to do the same thing. Second of all, i may sound like a little brat but people think i am very mature for my age. Sorry for all the problems.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Circle V

Those points have very little to nothing to do with what any of us said. Do your grandparents prohibit you from wearing what you'd like to in order to protect you, or is there something else?

Don't label people. If you call your cousin a "prep," you'll no longer be able to complain when people call you a "weirdo," "Goth," or whatever else is popular right now. Recognize that "preps" are as much individuals as Goths. Don't say anything about their conformity-- I see just as much of it demonstrated by those who call themselves Goths.

You have the "number of the Beast" in your name, as well as gratuituous symbols and "Goth." To quote your interests, you like "staying in the dark as much as possible." Sound anything like the Gothic stereotype you hear so much about?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
*~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
Those points have very little to nothing to do with what any of us said. Do your grandparents prohibit you from wearing what you'd like to in order to protect you, or is there something else?

Don't label people. If you call your cousin a "prep," you'll no longer be able to complain when people call you a "weirdo," "Goth," or whatever else is popular right now. Recognize that "preps" are as much individuals as Goths. Don't say anything about their conformity-- I see just as much of it demonstrated by those who call themselves Goths.

You have the "number of the Beast" in your name, as well as gratuituous symbols and "Goth." To quote your interests, you like "staying in the dark as much as possible." Sound anything like the Gothic stereotype you hear so much about?
it dont bother me to be called goth or weird OK & im just trying to make a point & yes the try to prohibit me from wearing i'd like to in order to protect me and the number of the beast is 616 i just like the # 666
Old 01-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
xXambivalenceXx

The number of the beast is 666. It is also a very cliche gothic number, and stereotypical of the mainstream to connect the two. Perhaps you should just respect your grandparents' decision and wait about 5 years. If you still want to be "goth" then you can do it then. Hopefully you'll have matured and smartened up by then, and you're idea of the subculture will be less cliche.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
PhilSmith

Get it out of your system while you're young, eh? The main purpose of adolescence is to build character -- and the main way in which that's accomplished is to make such a tit of yourself that in the future you won't be able to look back on your past self without wincing.

Move along, folks. Character-building in progress.
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
edible_eye

http://www.geocities.com/edible_eye/satan_laugh.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/edible_eye/piss_SATAN.jpg

i should report you to the police for even hinting at slashing your grandparents' throats, especially since they're doing what they're supposed to do - which is to take care of you. you're 13.

spoiled, little brat.

you should have your internet priveleges taken away and your mouth slapped for even thinking such a thing.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Jane13

SERIOUSLY, E_E. My goodness... stop being a brat, Kendra. You can find plenty of "dark" clothing without looking like a bondage freak. Your grandparents are damn good to be your legal gaurdians (if that's what they are. if not, why the hell does it matter?). How dare you suggest you would hurt them for trying to protect you.

sorry for sounding like a big meanie head, but you're a zero charisma, so there.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
Needled

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*
My grandparents are freaking out because i want to be goth. They hate the chains and bondage and all the black. I feel like sliting their throats in their sleep because they keep complaining. HOW DO I GET THEM TO SHUT THE FUCK UP?!?!?!?!
As a fellow teen, I was extremely disappointed with your post.. This is why many 13 or 14 years olds are not taken seriously. I can understand that it is probably a little irritating that your grandparents wont let you dress the way you wish, but that is certainly no reason to even THINK about slitting their throats. That is disrespectful and ungrateful. So you want to be goth? It's not all about "the chains and bondage and all the black". For starters, why not do some research first? You have access to the internet, use it, it's a wonderful tool. After you do your homework, you might appreciate the gothic culture and all it's glory. This is assuming that you wont get bored and move on to the next fad...

By the way, I think your username sucks.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
syn

Well to start, I was more or less raised by my grandparents, having no dad and a mum who was always busy. Guess what they were over protective of me, and yeah when I was 13 it drove me nuts, but I would never have even considered slitting their throats. They didn't have to do a thing for me, but they did, and I'll always be greatful for that. And you damn well should be too, Cause when they aren't there anymore, like mine aren't you're seriously gonna regret what you've said.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #16
Circle V

I was deleting my old passwords, and I discovered that I --or my brother, though I must admit that it was probably me-- had registered for an account at Nine Inch Nails' website with the name "teengothlion."

Teengothlion. I ought to stab myself in the heart with a fistful of car keys for that. I no doubt don't remember registering with that name because my mind blanked it out like the traumatic memory that it is. Meh. That was during my formative phase, when I had just begin to research the Gothic culture and wear more black. I didn't have any Gothic role models, nor did I have access to actual Gothic music or clothing.

I maintain, however, that I never sank so far as to ask others how I should act or dress. I may have gone through a strange phase, but I never was stupid or conformist. I may reference the Devil indirectly through my current forum name, but at least it is a literary allusion rather than a cliche.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
missbites

You spoiled.... I wont even continue on that thought. If one little thing doesnt go your way, you want to be a brat about it, huh? You want to know a crazy idea? Maby the world doesn't revolve around your astoundingly large ego. Apreciate you grandparents opinion and move on! Slit their throats? You better watch your mouth little one, before someone really puts you in your place. Its a pity how younger people are always saying stupid shit in order to fit in a crowd, or to be looked upon as someone "cool".
missbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #18
Needled

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbites
Slit their throats? You better watch your mouth little one, before someone really puts you in your place. Its a pity how younger people are always saying stupid shit in order to fit in a crowd, or to be looked upon as someone "cool".
That's exactly what I thought. I believe her "slit their throats" statement was all an atempt to impress us with how hardcore and malicious she is.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
FenrisQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
http://www.geocities.com/edible_eye/satan_laugh.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/edible_eye/piss_SATAN.jpg

i should report you to the police for even hinting at slashing your grandparents' throats, especially since they're doing what they're supposed to do - which is to take care of you. you're 13.
Ohh, Edible, your post gave me the warm fuzzies.

Okay, onto my two cents. Seriously, Little Miss Teen Angst. Even at thirteen I knew better than to say something along the lines of what you "feel" like doing.
Personally, I think you deserve to be eaten by weasels, but I do understand what you are going through with your grandparents on a certain level. Only mine aren't trying to change me for my protection, they're ashamed of how I portray the family image. Be grateful you have family who are caring enough to want to protect you from what they see as dangerous. Have they taken you to country clubs, cotillon? Have they set you up with "normal teenagers" and made you go on dates with sons of business associates?

Be grateful they care about you as a person, not as a bragging right at the Country club.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
edible_eye

did you make that thread yet?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #21
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrisQueen

Personally, I think you deserve to be eaten by weasels, but I do understand what you are going through.
I spit Merlot on the monitor with that one..

*Snort*

Friggin Funny Fenris..

Book of Quotes for sure.

Missed You..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #22
winged_dreams

Stop whining little child. Yes, you are lucky that your grandparents care about you. My grandparents raised me most of my life and help support me (even though I still live with them). Just chill out and try to work something out with them. What Circle V was very smart and well thought out. Try reaching some sort of compromise. Plain black clothing won't be so scary as chains and you still can 'express' yourself. And you don't have to wear black to be goth. You can be goth on the inside like me. XD

And where did you get that 616 was the number of the beast? I hope that was a typo. Just read the bible and you'll find out the number of the beast. And if you use that in your name then you must believe in Satan and you must also believe in God (can't have one without the other). And if you don't, then why use that number?

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kendra_666_gothgirl~*

the number of the beast is 616 i just like the # 666

----------->http://www.schulseiten.de/hps/dcp_0133.jpg
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #24
winged_dreams

I am amused.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #25
edible_eye

http://www.schulseiten.de/hps/dcp_0133.jpg

it's because of something like this as well as many other reasons that i absolutely adore the chinese.