Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #51
Empty_Purple_Stars

Honestly, I would think that you would be grateful for the diverse dichotomy of the responses you received. If you will stop being offended long enough to be more objective, you will see that ALL of the responses are informative and useful for the approach you are taking with your paper in their own fashion.

If all of your 'responses' were in cookie cutter formation, just how diverse of a sampling would that be?

In order to be knowledgeable of a subject, you must possess the ability to look at it from all sides. The opinions that you view as 'rude' are just as honest as the replies that followed your guidelines.

If there is One Truth about the Goth Subculture, it is that the people that move among it, for the most part pride themselves on being individuals. They recognize that there is something within them, that they feel sets them apart from the average person.

With that in mind, read those responses again.

There is a wealth of insight to be had on your topic, right there if you simply look at it with fresh eyes.

Normally I close these type of threads immediately, because yes we have been asked these same questions a thousand times over the years.

Your request was well-written, and I chose to let it ride knowing that everyone would express themselves in the manner that they saw fit on the subject.

If every researcher that didn't like the answers he/she received from his Study Group discarded those answers, where would that leave us?

Something for you to consider, perhaps..

Best of luck on your dissertation.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #52
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by student
What i don't understand though is why those people who don't want to answer questions, who think i'm just another idiot writing a 'school paper', don't just ignore the thread instead of unfairly abusing me when they don't even know me.
the best way i can answer this, and the way i figure to understand it, has to do with 'territoriality'. you've waltzed in and decided to pull up a chair in an area where we've all gathered to chill, an area away from the probing eyes and behind-the-back whispers - a place where we don't necessarily have to explain ourselves to anyone else... and i'm one of the ones who wouldn't define himself as goth.

it's an intrusion, student.

i know you don't see it as such, mainly because i'm sure you see yourself as doing something worthwhile without any ill intent and you likely don't see yourself as someone who would intentionally bother someone else. you're likely a good person and you believe you're coming across that way with your polite behavior and non-confrontational way of interacting. all that's well and good. i don't think anyone here would dispute the fact that you seem like a decent enough lady - but one fact remains, that of your microphone suddenly thrust in the face of everyone here whether some are comfortable with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by student
I'm not some snotty nosed kid jotting down a bunch of stereotypes like
'i met some goths and they were good and they wore black and they like poems and vampires and stuff'. I'm 21. I'm in my final year of a degree. I'm writing a dissertation involving serious research. I can't just read books, i have to talk to people involved, to get their point of view, to get valid information. I might get the wrong impression just reading books some academic wrote. But i'm also getting a bad impression from some people on here. And it may be naive of me, but i didn't expect it.
you'll always have a variety of reactions when you approach a group of people whether it's a gathering of gothically-inclined souls, young republicans, lost-and-emo democrats, punks, rappers, or what have you, so yes - that was naive of you. you absolutely can read books. you absolutely can browse websites.

have you tried finding gathering points for goths in your area? perhaps you could conduct some face-to-face interviews. collect your data on facial expressions, commonalities in dress, piercings, hairstyles, words and phrases, etc. for all you know, every single one of us could be a 78 lb. scrawny kid with acne and braces, listening to top 40 and dreaming big.

the point is, if you want your information to be accurate, approach a definitive source for your information. again, you've received some information here - no harm, no foul.

be aware, however that the frustration you receive is just as valid. to think otherwise is to put an excess of stock on the belief that others will welcome you with open arms, just by virtue of you being you. the world rarely works that way, no matter who you are.

Last edited by edible_eye; 03-06-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #53
Blushing Heliophobe

Imagine a group of people hanging out in a deep discussion at a bookstore, minding their own business.

That's us.

Then imagine someone walking up to them, holding a clipboard, and inturrupting their conversation by asking them to explain who they are, and about the subculture that he *assumes* they are a part of.

That's you.

You weren't particularly rude, but I personally am not the type who bothers to fill out questionnaires, especially when hanging out with my friends.

If you're going to be 'that guy' who asks people to explain themselves while inturrupting their hanging-out time, you should be prepared for them to not like you. If you can't deal with that, then don't try to interview people who didn't ask for it.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #54
edible_eye

god dammit, you're a beautiful woman, blushing.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #55
student

Thank you, i appreciate you not closing this thread. And don't get me wrong, i am reading every single comment and taking it in. I'm hoping to use some of the comments that haven't answered the questionnaire to illustate some points in my work, from this thread and from past ones i have been researching. And i will of course ask permission from the writer of the comment.

The reason i have added a questionnaire and not just looked for comments on similar questions ( which probably would have suited you better) is that if i just took information that had already been written, i would only have secondary research. I have to have answers that have been specifically written for questions i have asked, no matter if the questions have been asked before. Thats why i asked if anyone would be 'kind enough' to fill in a questionnaire, because i know you have been asked thousands of times and have already discussed these topics between yourselves before.

And i'm not offended at everything that has been written, people are obviously entitled to an opinion, its more that i'm a bit pissed off with people who keep calling me 'kid' and referring to what i'm doing as a 'school project' - it just a bit patronising. I'm trying to be serious dammit! lol
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #56
Blushing Heliophobe

Aww, shucks...

*blushes*

...speechless
Old 03-06-2006, 02:41 AM   #57
student

While i was writing my rebuttal there i missed a couple of comments! Yeah i see both your points from that. I didn't think of it as an intrusion, that was a bit stupid of me. The way i see forums is that you read what you want to, you ignore what you don't. I didn't think of it like interrupting a discussion. I apologise for that.

Edible_eye, my original research was actually based on just that, one to one and group interviews. However, i've been trying for months and no-one wants to help. I've contacted societies and groups all around my area and across the country and had only two replies. One too far to travel to so they've filled in a questionnaire via email, the other maintained they were interested and organised a date for me to visit then promptly disappeared off the face of the earth.

So i had to change my tactics and ended up here. I would have used forums as research anyway but wouldn't have posted a questionnaire. I suppose part of this is frustration at how badly my research seems to be going. I've only got three weeks left till hand in so i'm a bit stressed.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 AM   #58
edible_eye

well, again - good luck with your work. and hey, if nothing else, your e-mail perks my imagination.

if i sing to you, will you bang me?

boo-yah...
Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #59
Deviant Kitten

Well, since I'm new here and I actually haven't answered one of these before...

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth?

Yes, but I don't consider it to be my sole, defining characteristic.

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you?

As so many have previously said, I see it as having an unusual perspective on life; seeing beauty where others are afraid to look and seeing ugliness in much of mainstream culture. I also equate being gothic with a passion for dark art, music and literature.

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night?

I wear a lot of black - I just seem to be drawn to black clothes when I'm shopping! I also wear some dark red and purple and a splash of silver if I'm in a glittery mood. Chunky black boots, black trousers or combats and a purple or black top for the daytime; if I'm going out for the night I like to wear a black miniskirt and knee-high boots with a mesh or lace top.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?

When I was around 17/18 I liked to dress to shock, with a lot of ripped clothing, micro-miniskirts and eye-catching slogans on my t-shirts. Now I'm a grand old 23 ( *wink* ) I just wear what I feel comfortable and attractive in. I like to look different from the average brand name-covered, pastel wearing folks I see around town, as I don't feel part of their culture - but my message is less "look at me: I'm different!" and more a quiet representation of who I am.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?

Very much so. I'll admit that until I was around 18 I didn't know much about Goth at all. I was mostly listening to heavy rock and metal, and had only the vaguest idea that Goth was all about synth/electro music and lots of makeup! Then my love of David Bowie lead me to listen to Bauhaus and... it all followed from there, I guess! I'm still learning about Goth culture, music, literature etc - it's a fascinating rabbit hole I've fallen down...

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it?

I listen to all sorts of music; 80's goth, punk, metal, black metal, grunge, 60's/70's rock, classical, industrial etc. I like emotional, expressive music and the escapism that comes with it. I also enjoy a head-bangin' riff

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, listen to music, draw, write, surf the net, watch films, spend time with friends, playstation games.

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature?

Creativity and shared expression are what makes life worth living.

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any?

I suppose... the rejection of ubiquitous pop culture in favour of following our own, personal interests.

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?

The marketable, youth-orientated version of goth has already become pretty mainstream (think of Hot Topic). If the gothic "look" became the latest high street trend it would definitely make me uncomfortable, but gothic culture itself will never become mainstream.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?

Only the same differences there always are between teens and adults; our knowledge, experience and understanding increases with age.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?

Content. I think we'd all agree that style is important to us, but without content style is just an empty shell.

It would be interesting if you came back after you've written your paper and let us know how it went!

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #60
student

Lol ta edible_eye

Cheers deviant kitten, i'll do that for anyone who's interested.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #61
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant Kitten
It would be interesting if you came back after you've written your paper and let us know how it went!
now that would be a first.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 AM   #62
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
now that would be a first.
I'm guessing that most people disappear after they've got the replies they need?

I get what you meant about it being an interruption of people's chill time. I must be one of the few people here for whom filling this in was a novelty! Usually IRL I get just questions like "why do you dress weird? Are you a Goth? Do you love Marilyn Manson?" etc, so I didn't mind filling it in; the questions were intelligent and I actually found it interesting to consider my answers to them. I can see myself getting bored pretty fast when questionnaires appear every few weeks though...

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 AM   #63
edible_eye

no one would ever tell you not to fill one in if that's what you wanted to do, kitten. that's definitely not a point i was trying to make - only that after a while, like you said, seeing posts like this pop up does get tiresome.

and yes, for all the pomp-and-circumstance surrounding the collection of data for these supposed papers, we've yet to have one person return with a copy for us to read or ask our own questions about, thus the "guinea pig-ish" remark.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 AM   #64
student

Then i'll make sure i come back and give you a chance to read. Well unless i get a shit mark, then i may be too ashamed to share lol
Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 AM   #65
edible_eye

so, in contrast to your initial post, you do have something to offer in return...

see? a little give-and-take never hurt anyone.

oh... and was that a 'yes', 'no' or an 'i'll think about it'? usually when i ask a girl for sex and she laughs without giving me an answer... i get confused.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #66
Shi'ark

Hi ever one.

Not very often, I prefer to describe my self as Mike.

‘Goth’ is just a word. It is the people who belong to the subculture that maters. To me, and mostly every one who I know who calls them selves Goths are just being them selves and excepted for who they are by everyone. Those who try to conform in a non-conformist subculture are just posers. I have a friend who’s a mod. I like him but he is a conformist to that culture for a identity. At one point ever 10 minuets he’d have to tell some one, any one ‘I’m a Mod’.

At work I have to were a suit and tie my hair back, that ok I like to look smart some times. When doing what ever, I dress in what I feel like. Mostly black and dark blues, hair down, I just look like me.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?
See Q3

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?
As a first started getting into it I thought at the very beginning that: this is what you look like, this is the music your in to, this is how you feel about stuff. but I very quickly found that I just had to be me and was excepted.

Music is music as long as if means some thing and has feeling. I’d love to play clubs in a Metal band. I also like other rock, jazz, soul, at times classical. I can’t stand pop and modern RnB (which in this over here is just a kind of pop) because it’s the same crap being regurgitated over and over by people more interested in fame and glory then art.

Read, play Bass guitar, writing a book, hang around with friend while listening to music, movies, drinking and what ever pass’s the time.

Not an expert in art but I love to talk about it with others.

Anything. Films, books, music, politics, what’s in the news, what we did the other day. As long as I get on well with some one what more can I want.

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?
I will always be who I am and except my friend for who they are as long as they are not fake, argumentative, pretentious, tossers with superiority issues.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?
Age if of little impotents. I’ve know people in their 30s who act younger then 18 year olds.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?
I don’t believe is style over substance. To hell with those who do.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #67
student

ah yes so i do have something to offer.

Its a no, but thanks the for the offer
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #68
edible_eye

well, at least you cleared that up before i groped you and got smacked.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #69
Metatron

I'm still in the process of reading that book you recommended, among others like it. It takes me so long to finally start writing, we'll be lucky if it's done by June. Actually, I have an outline of it...looks like it's going to be longer than I expected.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #70
Metatron

Definitely larger than I thought!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #71
student

That's lovely of you to say, thank you. I hope i have explained myself well to you, because it's you who's doing me the favour so i want you to know what you're letting yourself in for.

And like i said i'll definitely post a copy of the paper when its complete and marked, cos if i get a shit mark i may not want to share! Though i'd actually love to hear everyone's comments on it when its finished, because if its something i decide to explore further then contructive criticism would be welcome.

Just posted myself an introduction, so maybe that makes me an official member now...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #72
mydnyght

after reading all this, i'd like to add something for you student. a while back(2.5 months...or so) i visited a chat room a friend of mine told me about. she raved on and on about this web site. first off, i'll mention that i'm pagan, for setting purposes. so in this site, trusting i was amung kindred, i let my guard down and spoke of my path and what i was doing. i barely got the word "Underworld" out when i was immediately blasted with ridicule!! apparently no-one told them that Paganism is about dark as well as light, a balance. these "pagans" had absolutely no concept of anything outside of fluff and lite.
the point: the search for knowledge is frought with a little pain, loneliness, and rejection. i honor your courage and tenacity!! may you realize all your potential, hopes and dreams.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #73
Iriacynthe

I actually like answering this kind of questions. I've answered quite a few of these lists, and it's often funny and interesting to see how your own views on the goth subculture change during the years. Oh, and I'm somehwhat an attention-whore too, so I do like the idea of representing a subculture in a paper or article.

(I'm not a native English speaker so you'll probably have to correct some of my answers for your work, I'm sorry. Feel free to ask me something if anything's unclear.)

Gothic is absolutely the subculture which I like the most, and I do consider myself a member of this subculture, but I'm not too fond of labeling myself (or other people) as goth. When you call yourself a goth (or a prep, a punk, a hippie, or whatever), people immediately have certain ideas about you that might not be true. I don't want to be limited by a label, and there are so many things I think and do that don't have anything to do with gothic.

It means beauty. I don't really like the gothic-is-a-lifestyle-idea, because I've never found a description of a gothic lifestyle that actually included most people in the gothic subculture. Gothic is, to me, a kind of music and fashion, a kind of literature, that has a certain ambience that I feel comfortable with. Life is too short to read bad poetry, wear ugly jeans, and listen to boring music, so I choose to surround myself with what I think is beautiful. That's not always gothic off course, but a big amount of it is.

The way I dress really depends on my mood, and I don't have a separate style to wear when I go out, I just wear my usual clothes and spend more time arranging my hair and make-up. I tend to mix hippie-like clothing with more classical goth-looks and some punk elements. I don't really like too much leather or pvc, and I never wear short tops or mini-skirts (well, it can be very beautiful, but it's not my style). Oh, and I'm absolutely not into the white-face-black-lipstick-make-up-thing.

Not really, I just wear the clothes that I like. I do hope that people who see me think something like 'hey, it's cool that she wears something that's different from what most people wear', but that's not the reason I wear what I wear.

Absolutely. I was 14 when I started getting into the scene, and I really must have been an annoying child than. I had my phase of 'being goth is soooo cool, and everything that's goth is cool, and everything that's normal is soooo boring and stupid', but actually, I hardly knew anything about gothic, I just wanted to appear deep and alternative. Now I just do what makes me feel comfortable, and I feel very comfortable in my cosy little goth-scene.

I obviously like gothic music, but there are several other styles of music I enjoy, like trip-hop and jazz. Every genre has bands I like, and it also depends on my mood, sometimes I just feel like singing along with the Beatles. I generally don't like music that's too hard, like black metal or industrial or hardcore, but there always are exceptions to that rule. I can't really explain why I like the music I like, it just touches me in some way. Some music makes me happy, some music makes me sad, some music makes me want to jump on a dancefloor and shake my ass all night long.

I love reading, I like to write poems, plays and short stories myself, I spend way too many time on the internet, I'm addicted to shopping, I'm absolutely fascinated bu anything that has to do with religion or philosophy (I even study theology) so that often keeps me busy for several hours a day, and I follow tai-chi lessons. I've played a few instruments too, but I'm afraid I don't have enough discipline to become a great musician. Off course I like doing all sorts of fun things with my friends too, but I guess that's what most people like to do. I'm also fascinated by languages, I speak five modern languages and read classical Latin and Hebrew, and I try to improve my language skills in every possible way. I like children too, so I often spend my holidays at the local summer camp inventing all sorts of fun games for those cute little devils.

Very interested, although I don't know that much of it. I do enjoy reading and going to museums and so on, but I don't have enough knowledge to know the background of all the books I read or all the paintings I look at.

A friend of mine has a handbag with 'be yourself in darkness' printed on it, and I'd like to think that summarises the whole gothic subculture. Unfortunately it doesn't, there still are a lot of people who aren't themselves, and there's a lot of gossip and pretending to be cooler than you really are and so on. I guess you find those things in every subculture.

It would bother me a little bit if people who used to call me a freak started to look like I and listen to the music I like, without really liking it, but actually, it wouldn't really be my problem. Fashion trends come and go, and the people who are only into gothic because it's trendy will move on to the next trend soon enough. Right now you can find corsets and velvet skirts in almost every clothing store in my country, and I love it, I can't wait 'till they sell hoop skirts for 20 euro at H&M.

When you're older, you usually care less about what's trendy and what's not, and you find your own identity. A lot of younger goths are still trying to find out who they are and what they really like, and so they experiment with different subcultures. A lot of the young teenagers who like gothic grow out of it (which isn't a bad thing, I've grewn out of some things too), and find something that fits them better. Older goths are more steady. Besides, older goths can go to parties and festivals and so on, so they get more involved with the scene than people who sit alone in their room listening to their own cd's.

On the one hand, content is off course important for most goths, and I hope for most people, because there's just more to life than dressing up and going to clubs. But I do think style is more important to define gothic, you can call a certain style gothic and say more or less which style is gothic and which isn't, but you can't really say that this or that personality is gothic and the other one isn't.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #74
maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Yeah, we're intolerant of pagans... Right.

We're intolerant of idiocy, sweetheart. Not pagans.

We love people regardless of religion and embrace cultural differences.

When she says this site, she doesnt mean THIS site, but a certain site of no name.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #75
maggot

Well, it's just the way she said it. It sounds like she's talking about a website with only pagans.