Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
violetrevolution

blush contouring help!

I simply cannot figure out how to get that sunken in look on my cheeks that most deathrock kids have. Anyone have any tips? Every time I try it I just look like I have 5 o'clock shadow. I want something like this... or this
violetrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Red Menace

You're never going to look like those pictures in real life, because they've almost certainly been tweaked in software.

I would actually suggest not trying to use black or grey in the first instance. I'd try practicing without the whiteface over natural skin or normal foundation, using a taupe blush or a buildable bronzing powder without too much shimmer. The Barry M bronzer is good, I have very pale skin and use it to contour as it can be applied lightly and has a very neutral undertone: whttp://www.barrym.com/products/product.asp?id=90

Get yourself an angle contour brush. I've got this one from Sally Beauty which is super-cheap and decent quality: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Angle-Blu...ml?cgid=Cosm07

Now start by applying the product very lightly using the angle brush. Hold it so the longest part of the bristles are downwards and sweep at an angle along your cheekbones. There are loads of great contouring tutorials online.

Once you've got the technique down, it's pretty easy to apply it to a more gothic colour scheme (although personally I'd stay away from the whiteface.)
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Lady Ruthven

I don't use blush. Getting a foundation or powder a shade or two darker than your usual and putting a very little bit just under your cheekbones and then some kind of highlighter on top works pretty well. As you get more confident you can make it a bit darker with grey or black.

I think the key is not to overdo it. Like Red Menace says, those photos were probably digitally manipulated somehow. You have to know the structure of your face as well. If your cheekbones aren't very defined naturally, doing it with makeup will be quite risky, and if they are you probably don't need to.

Don't worry though - you probably can get something like the look you want, just not quite so extreme.
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote