Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #101
dead_dreams

I was called "Emo" several weeks ago. I was sitting under a tree at my local park reading book and several high-school girls started screaming "EMO!!!" at me. I laughed at their stupidity when they finally left
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #102
crucifix

my old roommates use to always call me emo because they had 'goth' friends in highschool and because I did not worship marilyn manson and have a 'I am going to blow up the world' attitude like they did therefore I wasn't goth, I was emo. Yeah....whatever.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #103
dead_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
my old roommates use to always call me emo because they had 'goth' friends in highschool and because I did not worship marilyn manson and have a 'I am going to blow up the world' attitude like they did therefore I wasn't goth, I was emo. Yeah....whatever.
Your friends have a lot to learn about this sub-culture.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #104
Corpus_Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
I was called "Emo" several weeks ago. I was sitting under a tree at my local park reading book and several high-school girls started screaming "EMO!!!" at me. I laughed at their stupidity when they finally left
Sorry to break your heart but you are an emo.
Corpus_Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #105
TheBloodEternity

Not if he doesn't listen to emo music.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #106
dead_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Not if he doesn't listen to emo music.
Thanks Lauren.
I don't listen to "emo" music, I listen to "The cure, Bauhaus, Siousxie and the Banshees, etc."

Plus Corpus, who are YOU to say someones an "emo" when you do not know them?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #107
lied

i live at a place where 75% of the subcultures is emo... it happens to be called emo and asked about why am i so sad... wtf :S
lied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #108
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem

African American
Fuck off.

stupid politically correct nonsense
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #109
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Fuck off.

stupid politically correct nonsense
Actually, some of us do use the term referring to ourselves. I prefer black but whatever.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #110
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by lied
i live at a place where 75% of the subcultures is emo... it happens to be called emo and asked about why am i so sad... wtf :S
If I'm thinking I usually have a blank expression and people are always saying "why are you so sad?".
People even tell me to smile. I laugh and smile at a lot of things it's just that usually they're being stupid and I don't find this humourous.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #111
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Actually, some of us do use the term referring to ourselves. I prefer black but whatever.
I don't care who uses the term.
"African American" is offensive to both black and white people.

First off, there are people who are black who are neither African nor American.
Maybe he or she is British Hatian.

Second, if people are calling black people "African American," why don't they call me "Irish Dutch British German Native American."
Why is it ok to call me white, but wrong to call black people black?

(Yes, I do realize many black people don't insist on being called African Americans.)
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #112
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia

Second, if people are calling black people "African American," why don't they call me "Irish Dutch British German Native American."

(Yes, I do realize many black people don't insist on being called African Americans.)
Slosh this devotchka, she's got it sorted.

I've had one friend in my life who was truly African- American, and he was Egyptian.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #113
jack_the_knife

In this case I would have to be an Irish-Manx-Scottish-Briton.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #114
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia

*points to first bit* That.

As for the second, it's more often than not that some people just can't help but think that black is an adjective they can use for anybody of my color when they can't or don't bother to take notice of anything else about that person. "The black one." And the usage of "white" isn't any better either.

The fact that it can also be from other races doesn't help at all.

Somewhat veering off-topic: I also had a painfully politically correct history teacher who was forever using that term until I actually told him in class it was okay to use the term black. And he replied that he just wanted to be sensitive (read: Avoid reports, lawsuits and cuss-outs) to the other black students, who said nothing about it to him or backed me up.

Overall, that's my take on it. I just wish there was remotely good input from any other black members who won't get squashed in a sentence or less.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #115
lied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
If I'm thinking I usually have a blank expression and people are always saying "why are you so sad?".
People even tell me to smile. I laugh and smile at a lot of things it's just that usually they're being stupid and I don't find this humourous.
exactly...
but since emo is whats hype these days, all people see will be linked to that.
maybe because even emos are confused about what they are (generally speaking) and deny being something theyre clearly making efforts to be.

and the sense of humour thing is so true!
lied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #116
DementiaNocturne

I let my friend Frank borrow a striped hoodie of mine to walk down to the convenience store with. We passed by another denizen at our old apartment, a lady who'd known him for a couple of years, remarking that she'd never expect him to 'go emo'... -_-''
DementiaNocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #117
RavenHallows.

lol you know I don't really recall ever being called goth by random people. I get called emo, a vampire, I've even been mistaken as punk. Then again I don't believe the people to call labels like that are very educated in any matter, really.
RavenHallows. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #118
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHallows.
lol you know I don't really recall ever being called goth by random people. I get called emo, a vampire, I've even been mistaken as punk. Then again I don't believe the people to call labels like that are very educated in any matter, really.
No one outright calls me goth that often either. Someone did tell me that I looked like the prince of darkness the other night when I was all gothed up. Made me feel so proud, lol.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #119
DementiaNocturne

And I got told I looked like an El Vira impersonator.

And I wasn't even in a dress. @~@

"Mmm-hmm. Hm. Yeah? Mm-hmm. WELL FUCK YOU, MR BEAR!!! YOU SPEAK LIES!!! LIIIIES!!! Stuffed with pure venom, you vile, lint-infested bastard!! How many more, like you, are there!! How many more?!!! You can't even imagine the things I've endured!! And always at the hands of shit like you!!! YOU DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH!!! *stabs Shmee repeatedly*" ~ Kudos to whoever knows. :3
DementiaNocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #120
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Same here. Most of the time I am lost in thought and have a blank/non expressive look on my face. I also don't tend to talk to strangers unless they talk to me first. Therefore, they always ask me why I am sad and that I need to smile more. I smile alot, just not at stupid stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #121
KontanKarite

Apparently, I get mistaken for a gay punk. Go figure.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #122
jack_the_knife

When I had my hair dyed black I got mistaken for Dustin Dollin numerous times, which I still haven't decided if that was good or bad.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #123
Fae-wolf

ha ha ha.
It's cool your a good sport about it.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #124
~~Auriel~~

I don't think that mainstream culture understands that there is a difference between the two.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #125
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
I don't think that mainstream culture understands that there is a difference between the two.
It won't and the sooner the overreactionary goffs get over it as well as a perspective that's NOT so myopically grounded in Gothic Beauty the better.