Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
weirdgirl

Any Glitter/Perky Goths out there?

If so, how do you guys dress, do your hair, etc? I need some tips; I'm new to this.
weirdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
ShadowxMakerZ

Sounds to me like you suddenly want to try something new? Well I know not about Glitter/Perk Goths but, why not search up goth makeup videos on youtube and throw in a splash a glitter with the make up to give it some glamor as you wish.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdgirl View Post
Glitter/Perkygoff in a serious context
Wait, people still use these terms? ...Anyhoo, try here: http://trellia.deviant.art.com/art/G...-Goth-34833132
(The regular site, blackwaterfall.com is down, and she no longer keeps up with her regular page. I'm sure you know what to do with that extra period :P)
Old 08-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
SiouxsiePernova

I was under the impression that 'Perky Goth' was a self-deprecating term.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Ophelia's Snorkel

Why are you aiming to 'be' a Perky Goth? Why not just follow your own instincts, and if you find yourself trailing glitter on everyone you eagerly hug, I suppose you are justified in labelling yourself one. But do you really need to wedge yourself into a label? Perhaps you are you, first and foremost.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
weirdgirl

lol who said I was labeling myself!? Not me.
weirdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Ophelia's Snorkel

Ah, well, then! *sprinkles you with pink glitter and hugs you*
Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
ShadowxMakerZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
Ah, well, then! *sprinkles you with pink glitter and hugs you*
Haha what an unusual way to complete the task asked.

Also----
Quote:
lol who said I was labeling myself!? Not me.
It's considered to be labeling yourself when you want to be something you have no clue or history of. It's basically saying "Hey Perk goths are cool? Why not become one of them!"

No offense, but it does seem you phrased it in such a way where you want people to instantly label you as perk goth/glitter when in reality most of us don't label ourselves. People tend to just come up with the name that seems to suite our mood/style/music. That sort of sense.

You wouldn't go around telling people,

"HEY I AM A GOTH!!!!" Now that sounds like a wannabe?
MUAHAHA....
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Aren't perkygoths the ones in bright colors with fuzzy legwarmers and synthetic neon dreads who draw their eyebrows on in pink and other such colors and wear obscene amounts of Hello Kitty merchandise?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Aren't perkygoths the ones in bright colors with fuzzy legwarmers and synthetic neon dreads who draw their eyebrows on in pink and other such colors and wear obscene amounts of Hello Kitty merchandise?
That sounds like a raver.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Solumina

Quote:
I'll give you the bright colors but only a few wear the other stuff. Personally I get thrown in this category most of the time (I think it is my love of brightly colored pants and/or leggings) and I wouldn't be caught deal with falls, oddly colored eyebrows, or hello kitty clothing (though I do have hello kitty band aides if that counts) and the fuzzy legwarmers only come out at costume parties or cons.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Mark Anthony Quested

Quote:
No, that's just me!
Mark Anthony Quested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

According to blackwaterfall.com, a perkygoth is:

More of a general attitude than a true type, Perky Goths know how to have a good time. Abandoning the dark and gloomy Gothic stereotype, these Goths are cheerful, friendly and often bouncy to the point of hyperactive. They see the gothic lifestyle primarily as a way to have fun.

Because they often don brighter colours and readily dance crazily to the more upbeat music in the gothic spectrum, Perky Goths are often associated with the Cyber scene. However, you’ll find plenty of Perkies in all other aspects of the scene, from Death Rockers to Victorian vampires. The key point is, these Goths do not make the mistake of taking themselves too seriously.

The typical Perky Goth loves all the cheesiest and silliest aspects of Goth, including cute things, 80s cartoons and TV shows and anything to do with Halloween. While music tastes are diverse, typical Perky Goth bands include 80s electropop (eg. Strawberry Switchblade), silly-as-hell Death Rock (eg. Alien Sex Fiend) and comedy artists (eg. Voltaire).

The Perkygoth Manifesto
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Mark Anthony Quested

http://www.blackwaterfall.com/viewall.php

So what Goth are you!?

I'm a Geek Goth, definitely...but with a touch of Victorian Goth, Steampunk Goth, Medieval Goth, Hippy Goth, Romantic Goth, Fetish Goth, Corp Goth, Perky Goth (depending on my mood), and even Trad Goth! Several stereotypes for the price of one!!!

http://www.blackwaterfall.com/viewall.php

"Essentially, all Goths are Geeks. After all, how can one devote so much time into dressing up, reading old literature and collecting obscure music without being somewhat Geeky? You will hence find typical Geek traits in all Goths, but some will be more Geeky than others.

The typical Geek Goth tends to place less emphasis on Goth as a fashion, and more on its overtones of dark fantasy. So while they may not look as spectacularly Gothic as other Goth Types, their knowledge of the symbolism and artistic influences behind Goth is very often superior. They are more inclined than most to indulge in role play, read sci-fi, fantasy and horror novels, and watch cult TV shows and films with Gothic appeal. Geek Goths are also more likely to be into computer games and anime than other Goths. You are far more likely to find them in Forbidden Planet than in a goth club.

Geek Goths are some of the most intelligent, creative and open-minded Goths you’ll meet. Fittingly, they frequently have diverse and eclectic taste in music, although they may be more attracted to bands who regularly sing about Lord of the Rings, Cthulhu or other subjects with a high Geek interest."

Yes, you are most likely to find me in Forbidden Planet than say the Slimelight!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #15
SiouxsiePernova

I look somewhat like that, but I would be classified as Trad Goth. The Trad Goth and Deathrocker stereotypes seem to be the only ones on that site that are actually affiliated with Gothic Rock.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #16
Solumina

If you think trad goths and deathrockers are the only ones on here who are actually into the music then you need to pay better attention, that or stop trying to fit people into silly little subcategories.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
Mark Anthony Quested

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post

I look somewhat like that, but I would be classified as Trad Goth. The Trad Goth and Deathrocker stereotypes seem to be the only ones on that site that are actually affiliated with Gothic Rock.
One can be any type of Goth and still like Gothic Rock. One can be a perky Goth and still love Gothic rock.

I would probably be classed as a Geek Goth, but I can still remember the good ye olde days of when I listened to bands such as Sisters of Mercy, FOTN, Lords of the New Church, etc, on vinyl records. Remember vinyl records, kiddies!?

Besides, there is more to Goth music than just rock (good though rock is).
Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
SiouxsiePernova

I was referring to the descriptions of the stereotypes on that Black Waterfall site, not anyone on this forum. I was being self-deprecating because I personally do not think that subcategories of Goth exist.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
ShadowxMakerZ

Thumbs up

Funny, I seem to fall into this category
Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
I was referring to the descriptions of the stereotypes on that Black Waterfall site, not anyone on this forum. I was being self-deprecating because I personally do not think that subcategories of Goth exist.
I agree with you, especially since nearly everyone overlaps and mixes it up and generally can't be so easily forced into a tidy box. But the girl's cartoons certainly are adorable anyway.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
ShadowxMakerZ

Talking

Quote:
I agree with you, especially since nearly everyone overlaps and mixes it up and generally can't be so easily forced into a tidy box. But the girl's cartoons certainly are adorable anyway.
very well agreed.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
DemiGoth

Quote:
That sounds like a raver.
Actually it's a cyber or Industrial EBM goth. Sometimes called raver though. It's actually the form I am. But screw the fuzzy arm stuff, I want spikes and metallic objects.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
ShadowxMakerZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGoth View Post
Actually it's a cyber or Industrial EBM goth. Sometimes called raver though. It's actually the form I am. But screw the fuzzy arm stuff, I want spikes and metallic objects.
Right on.....
Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #24
crucifix

Quote:
Why are you aiming to 'be' a Perky Goth? Why not just follow your own instincts, and if you find yourself trailing glitter on everyone you eagerly hug, I suppose you are justified in labelling yourself one. But do you really need to wedge yourself into a label? Perhaps you are you, first and foremost.
true, true. trying with any goth attitude is just so....poseur. Somedays I am a bouncing off the wall perky, and then others I am a good old fashion mopey. I don't like the whole trying-to-hard-look-at-me-I-am-so-deep-and-goff lol
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Mz Devildoll

wow... ALL SHE WANTED WAS TIPS hahaha However that is true.... it is considered labeling yourself if you want to try the "Perky Goth"

According to Dictionary.com perky means –adjective, perk⋅i⋅er, perk⋅i⋅est.
jaunty; cheerful; brisk; pert.

I mean I can be perky and still not wear colors right??? I thought I could!!!
Mz Devildoll is offline   Reply With Quote