Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #76
Cicero

All white can look even more gothic than all black. Especially with ice queen, bride of frankenstein and even corpse bride connotations. Black still makes up a majority of my wardrobe, but I have absolutely nothing against the opposite end of the colour spectrum.

I think I'll end up having a white wedding dress just to surprise everyone. Black would be too predictable for someone like me. Even when I wear just a white top I get the "OMGZ, ITS NOT BLACK!" comments.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #77
maggot

I look terrible in white, although I love black and white stripes.

I get that too. At one point all my clothes were dirty but olive drab clothes. I wore those and some people obsessed.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #78
She_Is_My_Sin

I was unsure about the whole black & white thing for when I purchased one of the dresses (I was a vampire bride on Halloween, I picked the black, but considered white), but which one would you guys go for?

She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #79
maggot

I'm quite fond of the black one.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #80
She_Is_My_Sin

I preferred the black anyways, but the sleeves are so delicate. The white one has stiffer flowery lace sleeves & the black had thin spider web sleeves. If I have the effort I'll post a picture of me in it sometime.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #81
maggot

Cool. I can't wait..
Old 03-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #82
Jane13

The black one, because I can't get past the fast that the model in the white one isn't wearing shoes

Also! Someone posted a pic from Kambriel! I freaking love them.... I ordred the scalloped batwing overdress, and there were incense sticks, halloween sequis and coupons for metroplis records in the box! I know, I'm shilling, but I like them.

If I had all the money in the world to do so, I would totally have the bridesmaids in this outfit with half in green and black and the other in silver and black :http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue2.php?p=86

And something like this under some sort of tulle or lace thing.... http://kambriel.com/ivoryslipdress.html

yeah, I'm a loser... I don't even have a bofriend >.<;

I think the white idea is fine. Mana from Malice Mizer did it and looked great. It was a white and blue thing that really looked nice.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #83
She_Is_My_Sin

Those outfit's are gorgeous! I <3 The Dark Angel clothing, but I can never be bothered to order a catalogue.
I'd love to have a deep blue for my wedding dress, along the lines of it being my favourite colour.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #84
pheramoans

My opinion - White clothes dirty way too easily for me to wear all white.

But if you like it, and don't mind the smell of bleach i'd say go for it.
pheramoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #85
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Post a pic, and I could tell you.

Without a picture, how would we know?
It's not working; I tried
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #86
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
(...) And I don't think the same contrast works for black people. Their skin is brown, not black or dark grey so the same level of contrast doesn't work. White people's "White" skin is generally closer to white than most black people's is to black.
White doesn't work in the same way as black, anyway. For a start, there are going to be shadows that won't be noticable on black.

Goths don't look good just because of the contrast, it's a particular type of contrast.

It's not all relative, some things just plain look tacky. I mean look at ganguros.
Hm, that would all depend on how dark the said person's skin is. It's true that most black people have a more yellowish undertone, and are not truly "black" anyway. They would therefore be better suited to wearing cream or beige colors.

But, a *very* dark African (they'd probably have to be purely African to be that dark) nearly has a bluish tone to their skin. That would look fantastic against white or silver. I was looking through a wedding magazine one time (man, most wedding dresses today are really boring looking.../end sidetrack-rant) and there was a picture of a very dark black woman, with bluish undertones to her skin, wearing a stark-white dress. She was just gorgeous.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #87
marianne faithfull

I think if you want to wear white go a head I think you should wear whatever makes you feel good.
marianne faithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #88
Grandieur

go for it.
Grandieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 AM   #89
victoria rain

white is actually okay, but not good for tight things and such. i did this not too long ago, but where i would normally wear a black flowy skirt i wore a white one. the contrast is good, and me being of light skin and dark red hair (natural, yet i dyed it black in the winter) it looked a tad strange. of course i felt silly, so now i'm back to the black look. anyways, the all-white is a good thing to try on certain days. and it really gets some attention if you normally wear black (that was why i felt weird- everyone ooggling over the fact i was in white).
if you really want to take the white to a higher stage (as if there could be one), try making a costume-like look out of it. i've thought about this one, but never pulled it off. choose a theme, like a spirit of something, or just a spirit (i had spring fever, so this is the one i thought of). i chose spring things, like small flowers, and would glue them to a pair of white or light blue sandals. also i took a flower clip and held back the hair. it was odd, but got way too many complements than i was going for.
the choice is up to you how you want to wear it. personally, i think it's a good look, but not for me.

Victoria Rain
victoria rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #90
Virulent Dryad

Don't the goths in Japan wear all white?
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #91
Panic

Virulent, I don't know about that, but I do know that in some of the eastern cultures, white is considered the "mourning" color. It would make sense.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #92
WizardElement5

When I got married I wore all black leather and my wife wore all white leather. For our divorce, (which is in court at the moment), I guess it would be cool if we did the reverse. (Though in truth I don't intend to be there.)
WizardElement5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #93
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic
Virulent, I don't know about that, but I do know that in some of the eastern cultures, white is considered the "mourning" color. It would make sense.

It would indeed. Then again, the Japanese really are quite original in the Gothic fashion so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #94
Virulent Dryad

Ah, they are quite in their own league, in my opinion.

Do show us how it looks then.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #95
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Don't the goths in Japan wear all white?
You just opened a can of worms...

There are "goths" in the western sense, but they are not a large subclture in Japan (yet).

What you are refering to is more likely "visual kei", which is a genre of music in which the artists feel that their appearance and stage antics are as important as their sound.

White is the traditional color of mourning in Japan, though in most pictures of modern funerals that I have seen, people have worn western-style clothes in colors that westerners would consider somber.

In conclusion "Do goths in Japan wear all white?" Sometimes.
"Do western goths wear all black?" Sometimes.

*shrug*
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #96
Blushing Heliophobe

Well, also maybe the reference may be to the Gothic L*lita thing that they have going on in Japan - they tend to wear a lot of white and black on purpose to contrast each other. Kind of like schoolgirl/frenchmaid/Victorian mourning clash. I think it looks amazing on the stereotypically thin and childlike Japanese girls. I don't think it works out as good on the more voluptous frame, maybe because part of the appeal is the childlike innocence.

They have something called the Gothic L*lita Bible - if you google it you'll see what I mean. On Ebay there are some Japanese sellers who sell some of the coolest DIY L*lita I've ever seen.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 AM   #97
Virulent Dryad

It appears you are both more well versed in this than I am. I was thinking ****** though.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #98
Jane13

Goth loli was started as a result of a visual Kei band called Malice Mizer, so yeah, I was mostly refering to that ^^
I love goth loli ^^ I'm almost done making a skirt, actually.
-Cinema Strange
Old 04-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #99
Panic

Oh Jane13, you've made a mistake akin to saying "Marilyn Manson invented goth". I'm sure you'll be forgiven, though.

From what I understand, goth loli was already a trend before the guitarist from Malice Mizer, Mana, picked up on it. The style just didn't recieve any real attention until they popularized it.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #100
Panic

However! you are correct in saying that it's seperate from "goth". There is a Japanese goth scene, as in, people who listen to things like Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc.

...and then there's the Visual Kei people, who just use the aesthetic. Although there's some over-lapping, it's not really the same thing.