Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
I think for a lot of people they just fade into it...once you go through puberty and start developing a taste for your main interests, you lean towards it
I'd agree. I think I was around twelve when I 'faded' into it. I was however lacking a few things to be a true minigoth like the Manson T-shirt, angst & black lipstick. But overall I can't really remember much of how I 'started'.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
She_Is_My_Sin

Oh no wait I did have the Evanescence minigoth thing going on. Except I had my natural hair colour but tons of badly applied eyeliner to make up for it. Oh & many fashion fiasco's in a desperate bid to be Amy Lee *blushes* I used to think she was the bee's knee's...
Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
Tall One In Black

I "got into" goth in a strange way. I was working at an eclectic jewelry store/gift shop in a mall. One day a customer asked me, "Are you a goth?" I didn't know what she meant; the only Goths I'd heard of were the Scandinavian tribe we discussed in History class. (Yes, I was that sheltered.)

That night, I got online to find out about goths. If I was going to be called a goth, I wanted to know what it was. As I searched, I realized that I'd found a group I might just be able to relate to. Thus began my life as a net goth. That was 1997.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #29
Iriacynthe

I discovered gothic because it was mentioned in the Jerry Springer show, how stupid is that?
I've been fascinated by weird looking people for as long as I remember, but I didn't know there were different styles of weird looking people, as a child, I just called everyone who didn't look average 'punk', so I was rather happy when I found out they had a name for those beautiful people in black. Thank you Jerry!

I started dressing gothic and listening to goth music when I was 14, and I guess I have made a lot of the obvious beginner-mistakes, like wearing a long velvet skirt over ugly sneakers, and wearing ugly make-up just because it was 'goth'. But luckaly, I grew out of that pretty soon, and now I'm just a kind of hippiegothygeek, which is just fine.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
Circle V

Even if I made a conscious decision not to be a Goth (which I did-- sorta...) I would still gravitate toward it.

I tend to judge people by their appearances when I first see them, although, unlike some, my initial judgement is always open to revision. I unconsciously judge most people that dress differently from the norm favorably. I judge people that look like they're trying too hard to fit in (many "skaters," mallgoths, Mansonites, and some preppy types fall into this category) negatively, and I tend not to judge people that don't care about their appearance.

Sometimes people are surprised when I mention or display a piece of dark art or read a horror story-- I can't understand why other people label anything disturbing as "ugly." The best part of the Gothic culture-- one of the few redeeming values, actually, and probably the sole reason I call myself a Goth-- is that Goths tend to be able to see beauty in things that others don't.

Then again, some Goths will reject traditionally beautiful things because they "aren't dark enough." I, for one, am immediately drawn to *all* types of art, including-- especially-- disturbing pieces.

Sorry for rambling. I hope you got my point: that I am attracted to "Gothic" things, so I will always be, by nature, a Goth of sorts.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 AM   #31
Cruel Intentions

I started 'proper goth' about the same time I started death metal. The first 'metal' track I ever heard was Sonne by Rammstein. From there it went to Linkin Park to Evanescence. Somehow I made the huge leap from Evanescence to Cradle of Filth. What the hell happened there? But yeah, since Rammstein I have become progressively darker as has my appearance. Although it's not a good sign when you're so pale with sunken eyes you don't need the make-up! Maybe that's just a sign that I need to get out more...

But I agree with Circle V on how people label things as disturbing or ugly. It depends on your own taste. What I would consider normal would give my parents nightmares for a week. I really should stop playing 'Lord Abortion' so loudly!

Thanks for the confidence booster guys,

Goth until death do I part...
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #32
WolfMoon

You went from Rammstein to listening to Linkin Park?

It boggles the mind. That is a huge leap down.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #33
KeltikAon

I think I fall into that group of people who sort of faded into the whole goth thing. When I was in high school, a lot of people referred to me as being punk, but I never felt like I was part of the punk movement. Then again, I grew up in a small town, and it was before the great age of the internet so when you didn't fit into one of the established high school genres you were pretty much called a punk because no one else knew what to call you.

It wasn't until I was well out of high school that I started meeting other people that dressed more or less like I did, listened to the same music I did, and had the same interests. I was bloody thrilled.
KeltikAon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #34
peeves

I've always seen "elder goths" as more goth because a lot of teens have a poserish stage where they try being goth to see if it's something they like. "elder goths" have gotten past that and are truely being themselves, not experementing anymore. And Xng, you could try an art mueseum. A lot of the admision people (I'm not sure what they're actually called) at the one nearest me the person I payed to get in had purple hair and was wearing all black
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #35
IlGato_DiDiablo

Well I do agree that most teens are poserish but some of them know exactly what the hell they're doing and who they are. Take me for an example. I don't like to label myself and I don't like being labelled. I basically grew up into the subculture from my brother and the rest of the family and just extended my knowledge more and more through research and alot of questions to make sure I know who I am. At least that's what I know about myself..
IlGato_DiDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #36
peeves

Sorry if I made it seem like all teens are poserish, I didn't mean it that way. I just ment if you're an adult and still goth-like there's far less posibility that you are the way you are because you want to be one of the cool kids or something like that. I happen to be a teen too and in my school alot of the people who call themselfs goths or punks listen to green day (not that they're a bad band) and talk about how goth or punk they are. I happen to be in a poserish stage right now, only I don't consider myself goth, I'm just interested in the subculture.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #37
Circle V

I try to distance myself from the high-school "Goths" as much as possible-- they wear Tripp pants, Evanescence t-shirts, bad makeup, and have dyed hair, so I keep my natural blonde hair color, wear dress shirts, and wear a (fucking awesome) fedora. My style is... I suppose you could describe it as business casual, though still rather, ah... eccentric.

I'm also in the blessed position of being well-liked enough, threatening enough, and with a such reputation for eccentricity that no one raises an eyebrow if I dance around the room to music that only I can hear (and sometimes the music is just in my head, as opposed to my headphones...)
Old 02-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #38
tekajo

i've been sitting here racking me brain trying to figure out if i've ever "dressed" dark. Or even appeared half-assed "goffik". Several instances come to mind:

when i was going to college in East Texas, i painted my pinkie and thumbnail black!yeah, how's that for goth?

The only other times i dress in all black attire when i go to local rock shows...because black blends in with shadows which comes in handy at the after show parties way out in the deep dark woods.

i have no idea what i'm saying. i wish i were goth. ;(

Go Dale Junior!
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #39
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
You went from Rammstein to listening to Linkin Park?

It boggles the mind. That is a huge leap down.
Yeah, I know, it was some of their older stuff like Hybrid Theory. As soon as they linked up with J-what's-his-face, it went downhill and I disowned them. I'm now into Cradle of Filth and Children of Bodom. My dress sense has changed to match.

Although I wouldn't say I dress to be like the band, it's because I like my darker side and want to reflect it in my. This may seem like a whining Emo statement but it's great when your spiky trousers mean you get a whole double seat to yourself on the bus! I wouldn't say I was a goth. I just use the term loosely to describe the look.
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #40
sheridan

np: DeathBoy - Two to the Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
I "got into" goth in a strange way. I was working at an eclectic jewelry store/gift shop in a mall. One day a customer asked me, "Are you a goth?" I didn't know what she meant; the only Goths I'd heard of were the Scandinavian tribe we discussed in History class. (Yes, I was that sheltered.)
This is roughly what happened to me - a few people called me a Goth, or mentioned it to me, though I had no idea what they were talking about. I was pretty surprised to find out that half of the music I listened to fitted into this category that I hadn't even known existed.

Quote:
That night, I got online to find out about goths. If I was going to be called a goth, I wanted to know what it was. As I searched, I realized that I'd found a group I might just be able to relate to. Thus began my life as a net goth. That was 1997.
If only I'd had the web when I was young - I'd have known about the wonderful world of Goth earlier...
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #41
sheridan

np: New Model Army - Green and Grey (live)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Knee-high boots look good on guys.
Yup - what they said! I don't know what I'd do without my knee-highs...
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #42
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions
Although it's not a good sign when you're so pale with sunken eyes you don't need the make-up! Maybe that's just a sign that I need to get out more...
Meh I'm naturally pale. Ever since I got sunburn I vowed I'd never stay out in the sun again. & that was a while before I started dressing like this. However my freckles are impossible to hide.