Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #51
NME

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X
There is a new fashion that is sweeping englands youth...it is called emo,
It's new in England? Consider yourself lucky.
NME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #52
DarkGothikaAngel

Jillian, she thinks she is goth. I told her that she is not goth. I am not trying to win this argument.
DarkGothikaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #53
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGothikaAngel
Jillian, she thinks she is goth. I told her that she is not goth. I am not trying to win this argument.
Jillian's a guy, miss/mr soapbox.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #54
Draconysius

Oh, and you two, please break it up. Goth is an opinion, nowhere is it written in stone, so you get nowhere by trying to prove its meaning to each other.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #55
Opera

Hi everyone !

I'm a neophyte here, I leave in France. I hope you could help me.
Opera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #56
xxkissxmexgoodbye

ahahahhahah!!!!!!! the emo kids are invading you guys now?? ahahahha!!! this gives me the greatest laught that i ever neeeded!!! ahahahahahha!! i told you that emo kids are taking over the world!!

"dudes that look like chicks, chicks that look like dykes... emo is one step below transvestite"
"paint of my nails, make-up on my face. i'm almost emo enough to start shaving my legs"
xxkissxmexgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #57
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NME
It's new in England? Consider yourself lucky.

Nah, it's not really. Emo started a few years. I guess a little while after I began getting all gothed up (about 3 years ago). Though at the start they were the little babygoths, that tried too hard to look dark & scary...I guess emo sort of flourished from stuff like that. Well for the people I know.

Though honestly, what is everyone's deal with emo's? I don't get it properly. The ones I have met are just ordinary people. Fair enough I don't particularly like the fashions or the music, but that doesn't mean I have to hate them.

Once again I go back to my statements of it all being rather too hypocritical.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #58
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGothikaAngel
i am somewhat sorry. because it is pointless to feud over something like this.
the first thing you typed:i told her that she was not goth. she told me whatever.very preepy-like.it pissed me off because i don't like wanna-bes. the make me sick. it is okay to hear other peoples opinions.
i never actually hit her. but i wanted to. instead it went in my basement and practed my kick boxing and pretended that was Hart. i do not react to the way i feel about her. because there have been fights at my school. many people have gotten arrested and expelled at my school. but i would never hurt anybody else.
My, my, you -are- stupid, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkissxmexgoodbye
"dudes that look like chicks, chicks that look like dykes... emo is one step below transvestite"
"paint of my nails, make-up on my face. i'm almost emo enough to start shaving my legs"
I hope to fucking GODS you are quoting a song and not actually using hate speech like that. That's one of the most unintelligent things I've heard you say, Yuki... I really thought you were better than that.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #59
Broken_Pixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkissxmexgoodbye

can you at least show some respect?
Broken_Pixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #60
VisciaDacia

That's a quote from this this little song/video that went around the internets a few months ago, if you didn't realize. "The Emo Song". I found it quite funny for a little while but after my friends got ahold of it and started abusing it, I decided it's not really funny to mock each other.

I don't find these types of things to be amusing in general, and really, making such things and sending them all around just perpetuate stereotypes.
Plus, it's an effing annoying little jingle.
VisciaDacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #61
Delkaetre

I was kinda surprised they didn't recognise it... it's a pretty well known little clip by now.
In responnse to various things- Northern Ireland has had emos for some time now, we think. But they move in phases. They used to be metallers, then they were spookykids, then they were baby-punks, then back to spookykids, then indie-kids, then 'I'm NOT Emo!', and now a few of them are heading into the strange territory of Freezepop and the like.
I approve of the Freezepop, those children have promise. The rest are little lost causes. I'm wondering how things will look when I get back in December.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #62
kitten

i don't understand why they have to cover just ONE eye. just make yourself blind and get it over with. lol.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #63
Broken_Pixy

ermmmm because we like how it looks? it's a hairdo...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #64
natharliak

I Hate Emos

i agree that 'emo's are gay and they all should be shot because there try hards.... but let them be and get a group of your friends(goths) and bash the emos/emoes.?? just a thourt...
natharliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #65
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by natharliak
i agree that 'emo's are gay and they all should be shot because there try hards.... but let them be and get a group of your friends(goths) and bash the emos/emoes.?? just a thourt...
My god, you're stupid.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #66
Broken_Pixy

Quote:
maybe YOU should be shot
Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #67
NME

Quote:
Am I the only one that can't make heads or tails of this post?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #68
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NME
Am I the only one that can't make heads or tails of this post?
Don't worry; that user has the language skills of a three-year-old. We get people like him quite a lot around here. It just comes with being a counter-culture.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #69
Splintered

I had an odd thought about this.
I'm wondering if there are truly any other cultures, like "Goth", "Emo", or "Punk", or whatever sub-genre you would lay on it, who get upset when other people try and copy the fashion.

It just seems like a compliment to me. To me, it says, "Hey! You guys look cool! I like that look, so I'm going to look like that too!".

Yet, it seems like there is a general hostility towards people who do that. It just seems that way.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #70
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Pixy
ermmmm because we like how it looks? it's a hairdo...
And not even one unique to the Emo genre. It was pioneered ages ago and made popular by the likes of Veronica Lake. If you're going to make fun of the emo hairstyle, don't make fun of the eye thing. That's been around since before this generation of emo kids was fashion conscious.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #71
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
I'm wondering if there are truly any other cultures, like "Goth", "Emo", or "Punk", or whatever sub-genre you would lay on it, who get upset when other people try and copy the fashion.

It just seems like a compliment to me. To me, it says, "Hey! You guys look cool! I like that look, so I'm going to look like that too!".

Yet, it seems like there is a general hostility towards people who do that. It just seems that way.
For me, when someone dresses the part without living it, it feels like the subculture, the lifestyle that I've become part of, is being bastardized, distorted, stolen from me.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #72
NME

Edit: Never mind.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #73
kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
And not even one unique to the Emo genre. It was pioneered ages ago and made popular by the likes of Veronica Lake. If you're going to make fun of the emo hairstyle, don't make fun of the eye thing. That's been around since before this generation of emo kids was fashion conscious.

I wasn't making fun of them!! I'm just not a fan of the one eye thing...my brother is growing out his hawk, and it kinda tilts to the side so it covers one eye. It just drives me insane when I try to talk to someone.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #74
Broken_Pixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered

Yeah I feel flattered when someone says he/she likes my style and asks the name of the stores I buy my clothes.
One thing is the style, the other thing is being part of a subculture.
All subculture individuals dress alike, but not all individuals that dress alike are in the same subculture.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #75
Delkaetre

All subculture individuals dress alike?
Pixy, no they don't. If you're ever in London, go to Slimelight. You will notice that even amongst goths, the only predominant theme is black. ONLY predominant theme, and yet you can tell they're goths because the clothing is still distinctly not anything but goth.
Maybe I notice differences more than you, but the subcultures have always had visual separations between theme. Goths are not punks are not metallers are not emos, you know? One of the reasons for the visual divide is that our dress reflects our subculture, so leeching off another's subculture is both really unoriginal, and suggests that something must be lacking if your subculture doesn't have a visual identity.
It's nice if someone likes your way of dressing, but if I had a flock of emo kids- distinctly non goth creatures- asking me where I got my shirt, I'd think I did something wrong.

DISCLAIMER
This is just me, and my interpretation of things. To anyone reading this- due to recent mini-flamewars erupting across the board, I'd ask anyone with a problem with my or anyone else's opinion to discuss it calmly and not resort to name-calling or swearing.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote