Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Death_Mask

Try hards

Ever come across someone decked out velvet and a corset whilst grocery shopping? I mean do you see this as a tad otp?
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
TopHaggardDoll

No

If you wanna go out wearing a corset and velvet to go grocery shopping in...then do so.

If you feel comfortable that way and would rather present yourself a certain way in public (like EVERYONE does) then, i'm not really bothered.
Hell! sometimes I goth up to the eyeballs just to sit at home and do shit all day to make me feel good. Not because I MUST be goth beyond reason ALL the time but because it just makes me feel good.

Do you catch my drift!?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
maggot

YEAH, STUPID_MASK.

Or something. :P
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Lucretia_my_Reflection

lol @ maggot, I wear that sort of thing around the house does that make me a "try hard" No. just because we're more stylish and interesting then you doesn't mean you need to go make a dumb thread about it. :]
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
DeathChii

hey! HEY!
Ever thought that maybe those people are stopping at a grocery store on their way to a goth fashion show??? huh??? huh???
that's right bitch! I thought so.
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia_my_Reflection
lol @ maggot, I wear that sort of thing around the house does that make me a "try hard" No. just because we're more stylish and interesting then you doesn't mean you need to go make a dumb thread about it. :]
LOL! Nice one
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
raggedyanne

Very nice. Anyways, if the ladies can wear manalos whilst grocery shopping, I can at least get a bith gothed up.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
prophecyofdoom

I love seeing gothy people arrayed in all their most striking attire for normal day to day life. If that is who you are, you're going to naturally express that oftener than just when you go out to the clubs. I do suspect , though, that some of the younger folk try too hard due to a lack of confidence in themselves to stand out without the clothing....

The other day I saw a group of mall goths fully decked out in spiked leather and denim, and it was 95 degrees out and suffocatingly humid. I suspect they were trying a bit too hard.

Then again, they were probably perfectly comfortable once they got inside the mall.

I think time will teach them it isn't necessary to at all times have an outfit that screams out how unique and interesting you are, if you are in fact interesting and unique it will show through regardless of what you are wearing.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

Just because young people are at the mall, doesn't mean they are mall goths...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
raggedyanne

THANK YOU! Some of us have friends who like shopping and aren't good at making up excuses.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

Who needs an excuse, It's a mall, take it or leave it. It's not a sin to be at the MALL. XD
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 AM   #12
DeathChii

I just wear what ever I feel like wearing... regardless of where I am going =P
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #13
Death_Mask

Ha! You guy’s are hilarious. Really. But I don’t think the Goth dressed in a long velvet cloak in a heat wave looks like a happy camper, especially when their carefully applied make-up starts running down their faces. But whatever, if they want to dress like they’re going to the Whitby Goth fest every blinking day then who am I to tell them not to, right?

Oh, and I was simply making a point, my opinion is mine and yours is yours. I wanted to hear it and that’s why I asked you in my post. But for giving mine, I don’t want to receive ridicule from you. I’m an open-minded person, I accept what you think, so don’t call me a “bitch”. But whatever, I have a life and it doesn’t involve decking out in full-on Victorian outfit’s whilst going out to buy milk because it makes me look “different”.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #14
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
YEAH, STUPID_MASK.

Or something. :P
Your killing me.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Mask
Your killing me.
It is you're not your.

As for dressing up to go everywhere...it's not dressing up if those clothes are the only ones you own.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 AM   #16
Death_Mask

“You’re” then if it’s really important. But I doubt anyone would own only PVC cat suits and trench coats if they lived in a really hot place, that would be a bit silly even if they were dressing like that because they like the clothes. But I guess you do have to suffer to look good, right?

Oh and do you know why my name thingy has changed from babyGoth to mopeyGoth? I’m new to this place so I don’t know how it really works.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #17
electrosexual

The more posts you make, the cooler your title is :]
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #18
Death_Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
The more posts you make, the cooler your title is :]
Aaah I was starting to think it was something like that. So what's the "coolest" title you can get?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #19
electrosexual

I'm a perkygoth. Suits me right down to the ground. I don't want it to change >.<

Back on subject though; for me, dressing out of the ordinary is the norm rather than the exception. Platforms, tight white jeans, legwarmers, hair extensions and rubber spikes are usually part of my daily outfit :]

And I just couldn't resist posting these pics xD

Ayumi
&
Sisen
^_^

Eep eep I wanna live in Japan.

(I was gonna just add all this to the post I already made but I was outside the 5 minute thing >.<)
Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 AM   #20
Death_Mask

Cool, but I find the whole idea of dressing up in an elaborate outfit or a costume just to look Gothic ridiculous. It’s just painful watching a woman stumbling and falling over in her platform boots and not being able to get up because her plastic trousers enable her too whilst in the park trying to play tennis ( I’ve seen this happening and it just made me cringe).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #21
Death_Mask

Oh I LOVE their hair!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #22
electrosexual

I agree with you there. When people can't pull it off it looks pretty bad. But then again I really couldn't give a damn what people wear, and even if they feel comfortable in it or not. Of course I do think there are cases where it's just for attention, and I think this can make anyone who dresses unique look like that. Quite frankly I couldn't give a shit about the attention I get (and I do get quite a lot). For me fashion is an extension aswell as an expression of someone's personality, and I think it's way too precious to waste on "boring" civilian clothes.

Infact what pisses me off more is those really fat and ugly goths who dress terribly and smear vulgar black and white paint over their faces. They're like the opposite of what true goth was meant to be.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #23
Death_Mask

Oh I know what you're talking about. Goth to me is about beauty, elegance and grace and if you keep tripping over your gown in the check-out line then I don't see it as beauty. That's my opinion though.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #24
Porphyria

I don't dress up every day. Honestly, I just don't have time. But sometimes I do dress up just for the sake of it and go somewhere boring... like the post office. It seems like a waste to get prettied up and then sit around the house all afternoon. Other times I just take pictures.

I have found myself in a supermarket at two in the afternoon in a Victorian ballgown. A friend and I were going to an outdoor photo shoot and had been asked to pick up a case of bottled water on the way. It was actually kind of fun getting all that attention, but I don't think I'd like it all the time. I usually wear jeans when I'm grocery shopping.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #25
Edward Strange

I remember when I went to Camden in my outfit I had prepared for Slimelight (namely, PVC Trenchcoat, velvet vest thing, frilly shirt blah blah blah...) and that was fun, it felt nice.

I am very fond of various items of clothing that would identity me as a try-hard I suppose, so I do panic at the back of my mind hoping people don't think that of me. >_>
But yes, usually the I just wear generic black 'things' day to day.

Although I was shopping the other day in my place of work (in civvie clothes) and someone called me a freak... I thought I looked rather normal actually! Crazy peoples...

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote