Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #151
MEAT NUGGET SPAndEX

The worst I've ever gotten in that area is when I first started getting into my gothyness, my father screamed "Hes into that fucking goth shit." from the other room. Since then I've had no serious comments about the way I dress
MEAT NUGGET SPAndEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #152
Tea and Cake or Death

Earthworm Jim?! Wow! Now that is some Old School action!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #153
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I got a lot of crap in high school, mostly from teachers, when I was at the height of my ubergoth phase. Those were the days of black lipstick, black fingernails, in retrospect, even though I had yet to see The Crow, well, you get the idea. Not quite that extreme, but shocking to most people none the less. Now, I don't get treated quite the same. People really don't bug me too much about it, aside from people who know me a little bit. I live in a very conservative, Mormon town, so I get alot of Anti Christ comments. Which I have no problem playing into. More often than not, I get comments on my tattoos, usually that is the bigger concern for me. Like if the one on my chest pokes out, they want to see it, or if my arms are uncovered and they see those, then they decide they want to see the rest. They usually shut up when I take off my shirt, if they want more, then the pants get rolled up. Granted this isn't in public places, but people have that curiosity, and I really don't have a problem with it, unless they are being complete jerks. Oh well, live and let live. Nothing for me to get worked up about.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #154
GothicChristian

I'm in high school, I get a ton of stupid comments. I just laugh them off, or fire back at them, wangster kids are particularly easy to make shots at. You just have to be careful not to go over their heads. Make sure to only use small words; you know?
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #155
drewsilla

I live in the Deep South also, and in an area that you are looked upon as a freak if you don't have some kind of Nascar fave or particular football team that you root for every weekend, (which I don't).

I do dress in black alot, but that's mostly b/c its my favorite color. I do like other colors, and will wear them when the mood strikes. Its usually the old ladies that comment on anything that I wear when I do "go goth".

One funny thing that happened not too long ago was in Wal-Mart. I had bought some random thing and was headed out when I saw this extreamly muscled man walking towards me. I stepped out of the way and behind him was the poster child for Victorian Goth Man--top hat, black and grey pinstripe suit with a cane and full pale makeup. I was so shocked to see something like this in Anniston, AL that I just froze. Me and Top Hat Guy locked eyes, and he tipped his hat to me. I smiled and they went past me. I was all thrilled to see someone like him that! These women that were standing right by me were shocked, too, but for different reasons. "Oh my god! Is that a devil worshipper?" "Is it Halloween?" is what I heard. There was mouths agape everywhere. I turned to the women and told them that it would be wonderful if everyday was Halloween and I thought he looked awesome. They didn't have too much to say, and I left.

I hate living in such a redneck part of the world, but you do what you have to do, I guess.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #156
Metabolik

Yep...I get emo comments far too much.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #157
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Yea, well today I was walking from the mall to the bus station, and on my way I passed a mother and her kid. I saw the mother glance at me and say to her kid, "stay away from freaks". that sucked, it showshow judgmental people can be in Sault Ste Marie Canada.
Now I laugh at what happened.

I take pride in dressing how I want to dress. I don’t want to be like everyone else! If I look strange to them, who cares. I wear the clothes I like and feel comfortable in them. I can’t stand the thought of trying to blend in with the rest of the dullards.
I say wear what you want to wear and fuck everyone else.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #158
Pancakes of Doom

I get the most interesting split of comments. On one hand, I get told all the time by people that spend a prolonged period of time around me that they misjudged me; on the other hand, I also get homophobic comments thrown at me by southern children who barely stand higher than my belt line. (And I'm a short guy)
Pancakes of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #159
xphoenix

Of course, sadly.

Lately the only ones that bother me are the 18 year old jock boys calling out 'emo'

Its not because its offensive. It's because, its not emo. I've neither the time nor the bother to explain to their little minds the music movements of the past 30 to 40 years to explain the style of the way I dress.
I mean. really.

Also, I've been called pippi longstocking more times than I can even count, including once on the train home this afternoon. I'm not sure why that one is so popular among the plebeian class.

My friends arent the type of people who really make fun of clothes, and my family are more the 'say nothing' type if they really have an issue.. which isnt often at all.
xphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #160
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoenix
Of course, sadly.

Lately the only ones that bother me are the 18 year old jock boys calling out 'emo'

Its not because its offensive. It's because, its not emo. I've neither the time nor the bother to explain to their little minds the music movements of the past 30 to 40 years to explain the style of the way I dress.
I mean. really.

Also, I've been called pippi longstocking more times than I can even count, including once on the train home this afternoon. I'm not sure why that one is so popular among the plebeian class.

My friends arent the type of people who really make fun of clothes, and my family are more the 'say nothing' type if they really have an issue.. which isnt often at all.
Well, maybe if you didn't so haughtily think of them as plebians just because they don't get your inclinations for black velvet and the like...

http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?cat=6
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?cat=7
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?cat=9

I know I shouldn't throw links but this place is quite helpful.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #161
KontanKarite

I like that lady. She's so awesome.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #162
xphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Well, maybe if you didn't so haughtily think of them as plebians just because they don't get your inclinations for black velvet and the like...

er, well, they're plebeian because they find it appropriate to shout abuse to ANYONE in the street. The fact they are shouting meaningless abuse is quite secondary.
xphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #163
Mo1010427

Hello,

I'm new here having registered a couple days ago. I seen this thread and found it very interesting, so I decided I would share some of my comments/moments. I've heard my fare share of stereotypical names. While it did aggravate me at times, I decided unique was far better than mundane. However, I have also been complimented on my tastes. One time I remember I was stopped by two girls in the mall and asked where I got my clothes at. I was wearing BDU (camo) pants, combat boots, and a black straight jacket. I saw that particular outfit as a metaphorical statement as well as just cool clothes. Now what I'm interested in is 19th century influenced clothing. I also enjoy walking around the mall with my red sclera lenses in. Get a lot of people doing double takes.

Mo
Mo1010427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #164
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolik
Yep...I get emo comments far too much.
Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #165
roserougesang

I don't often get that many negative comments; whenever it's casual clothes day at school I get many compliments on my outfit ensembles from teachers. Outside of school, I'll occasionally be complimented by a little old lady that likes what I'm wearing ^_^

I've only ever got 1 or 2 negative comments from people, and the occasional emo comment.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #166
Solumina

It isn't really the negative comments that bother me (although maybe they would if I ever got more than a handful) it is when people offer me money to be a dominatrix or be in some weird fetish movie that gets under my skin. I don't even wear clothes that are all that revealing so I just don't get it and it creeps me out
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #167
taxidermy

I don't really get negative comments, I just get stares, which are easy enough to ignore. I try to make up for my appearance by being extra sweet and polite, yet firm and direct (at least at my job, which is a corporate area). It helps tremendously. Most people that I work with are very antsy about anything 'different', but they've really just come to realize that the appearance doesn't always affect the production.
taxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #168
Opteron_Man

I get lots of stares from people. I had one fellow cautiously approach me in the mall asking me where he could find a punk hangout or bar. He kept apologizing, and he said he thought I would know where it is because I am Goth. He was bigger then me and was wearing a track suit that is popular. He apologized again, and walked away. He looked nervous about coming up and bothering me, maybe thought I might bite him. I just smiled and said "I have no idea, sorry".
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #169
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I get lots of stares from people. I had one fellow cautiously approach me in the mall asking me where he could find a punk hangout or bar. He kept apologizing, and he said he thought I would know where it is because I am Goth. He was bigger then me and was wearing a track suit that is popular. He apologized again, and walked away. He looked nervous about coming up and bothering me, maybe thought I might bite him. I just smiled and said "I have no idea, sorry".
Awww bless.
^_^
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #170
raggedyanne

The stares mean I'm doing something right. When my clothing makes people think, then my services to society are done for the day.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #171
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
The stares mean I'm doing something right. When my clothing makes people think, then my services to society are done for the day.
I like the way you think. I salute you
http://www.variety.com/graphics/phot...ewm/rmetal.jpg
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #172
Maldarion_Haliax

The other day I was on my way home and it was hot as hell so I only wore a black T-shirt and jeans and my spiked collar,well anyways this car full of preppy lookin' people were driving by and one the girls leaned most of the way out of the car and treid to spit on me,I couldn't beleive it.what the hell is wrong with people?I'm just glad she almost fell out and missed me.Though I woulda gone to help if she had fallen,I think my kindness may one day be the death of me.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #173
Arkayem

Around my way anyone who dresses in more than 90% black and has spikes anywhere on there clothing is bound to be called a "rockstar" or "goth" or something like that. I always get stares, and sometimes I get verbally attacked by religous people.

I'm normally looked as the "goth" kid in the community, and I'm surrounded by a very strong hip hop culture so naturally people have their say, but most of them are ignorant and uneducated so I pay them no mind.
Arkayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #174
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
Honestly, I kind of doubt you're making people think with your clothing.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #175
PhenomenalTranquility

Huh? *wears a turtle* why do you doubt it?
PhenomenalTranquility is offline   Reply With Quote