Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: How do you deal with 'em?
shave? 14 10.61%
wax? 15 11.36%
pluck? 100 75.76%
electrolysis? 3 2.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #151
Corpus_Draconis

I saw a girl once who was about 8 and had a unibrow... I was rather shocked. Don't see that one every day...

I love having newly plucked eyebrows. I'm too cheap to get them waxed, and I'm not waxing my own eyebrows. I don't save them, either, for two reasons: one, I don't trust a razor that close to my eyes, and I don't trust my skill with a pencil enough to draw decent, symetrical, eyebrows.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #152
MissJames

my mom got me a brow waxin' once when I was at the salon with her. never again! it worked fine, sure, but they were bright red for like a day after that. and, ow. I prefer ripping them out one at a time rather than the whole *yank!* thing. ditto on the ladystache. I just use my brothers discarded electric norelco thing with the built in moisturizer. far less painful, and none of the mythical thick manly regrowth either.

I do have a single thick black hair that grows out of my neck (I know, gross). tough to find with the tweezers, but that particular body hair anomaly must go!

I had a friend try to shave her unibrow with a regular razor. somehow she figured if she just swiped it down the middle it would only remove the offending hairs. alas, she was missing the end of both eyebrows for quite a while until they grew back. ah, DIY beauty treatments at 14 years old...
MissJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #153
Icarian Decoding

I could have sworn you'd said, "What with your Bros?", and I was going to respond with,

"Up Here Yo! I'm a white G-Boy".

But Upon closer inspection, it appears to ask me about my eyebrows. Until this moment, I didn't know you could do anything with them. I just leave them as is.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #154
Icarian Decoding

Pam Anderson has eyebrows?
Like I was looking at her face.

I just thought tweezers were for slivers, and getting the popcorn out of the keyboard.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #155
Icarian Decoding

How can you see those eyebrows? It's like they're two tiny streaks....
Huh. I found this picture of her at two in the morning, and she seems to have eyebrows:
http://lglan.net/vbdump/ButtThunder/...en-unibrow.jpg
Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #156
Nardol

For the moment they are only a problem between the brows, but it takes a while for them to grow in. When I get old I will turn them up at the ends because my grand father did and it made him look devilish because his eyebrow hair was quite long. :)
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #157
Morrigan_Dubh

I have never touched the hair of my eyebrows because I was always told and believed they were naturally a nice shape. But recently I've become obsessed with eyebrows. I think they make a huge difference to the face.
I want to get mine waxed now. I don't want to do it myself because I'm terrified of f*cking it up, so I have to put some time and money aside, but I just always seem to have something better to do. So, for now, I remain an eyebrow-sculpting virgin.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #158
Sanctus Dei

To be up-right with you Morrigan, I almost suggest you engage in that act first hand. You may fear your own talent in shaping, but atleast you have some notion as to what is astheticly pleasing to you without getting out of control. Many of those styling yahoos strip so much you leave looking surprised and unnatural.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #159
Morrigan_Dubh

What which method would you recommend I start?
I think plucking would be better for control, but arduous and painful. Waxing would be quick and something I'm used to on other parts of my face (damn upper lip hairs make me feel like Groucho Marx sometimes), but it would be difficult to be precise with it.
And shaving would make them grow back even hairier, no?
I just don't know what to do... *Furrows fluffy brow*
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #160
WolfMoon

I'd recommend plucking, personally. It just takes practice.

Since you're a beginner, I'd suggest just plucking stray hairs, at first. Once you become proficient at that you can experiment with shaping. Or you can jump in with both feet, like I did. It took tons of practice to get them even and straight. I ended up walking around with one eyebrow a little higher than the other for awhile.

I definately wouldn't suggest anything like Nair for removing eyebrows. I think it even says on the bottle not to get it near your eye area. That's why it wasn't on the poll.

Waxing, I don't trust that near my eyes. I only wax the overpopulation of hair near my upper lip. I am thinking of getting a brazilian wax this summer, though.

edit:Morrigan, you will need a decent pair of tweezers. I use a red pair made by Lacross(I think it's owned by Sally Hansen) it's got a very fine point on it and grips quite well for plucking those individual hairs.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #161
Morrigan_Dubh

Thanks for the advice. Especially the last bit - I am so desperate to tidy up my brows I think I might have launched into a plucking frenzy with my 99c tweezers, if it were not for your wise words.

As for the Brazilian wax, I didn't think that could be applied to the face :S
Old 04-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #162
MissJames

I've heard putting ice on your brows for a few minutes first helps with the pain. But after you do it a few times it doesn't hurt so much.

I like the tweezers with the pointy tips. when I use the slanty ones I end up grabbing more than one, usually where I didn't mean to tweeze. A few hairs at a time does indeed hurt, I don't recommend it.

Is anyone else so obsessed they spend a decent amount of time every day with brow maintenence? Or is that just me? It's kind of like trimming a bonsai tree, very relaxing. Or maybe that's just me as well.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #163
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Okay,I've wanted to ask that to quite a few people!

Is it supposed to be a 'goth thing' to shave you brows and draw little sticks in their place?Or that annoying \ / that looks oh-so-tacky on just about everyone,it makes me want to laugh.

Those both scream of 'Look at me!I disdain you other people of the world!Look at my tasteless brows and be in awe!'
I haven't read anything else of this thread yet, but I think you're wrong at this point. Not eveyone who like to draw her(or why not his?)brows disdains people. It's quite narrow-minded of you to think like that and that makes you sound like you think people prepare themselves only to please or offend other people, but somebody, like me, only makeup the way I like and never even think of what others might think of me. It's not wanting to offend others.

Im not saying that everyone is like that. Probably someones DO want to catch attention by makeup. But I also know people who certainly don't, like my friends. Yet they draw their brows themselves and I bet they've never thought someone would think like that of it.

I myself have tried many ways of making brows. Never that \ / though. For a long time I used to dye them, with dark brown. Then I switched to drawing. I also have tested different colours, like red and violet(by kajal). They were nice. Not using anymore, tho.

Currently I line my eyebrows and pluck them a little. My own colour of browns is very pale, almost non-excisting. As such they look stupid.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #164
crimsonjoy

I used to keep my brows their natural width, only plucking a bit at the ends and to clean them up a little, and then I'd use powder or pencil to darken them a little. But then I got bored. So now I pluck them REALLY thin and pencil over them. I make the ends go out a bit longer and higher than natural just for fun. It'll only be a matter of time 'til I'm shaving them off. (I can get REALLY bored sometimes.)
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #165
MissJames

oh yeah, here's another one - do you dye your brows when you dye your hair? my hair's about 75% silver (family blessing to go all gray in your 20s) - and yes, I know, I should totally let it grow out cause that would be so awesome, but problem is I have really long hair and it would take many years... anyway... I dye my hair dark red and whem I remember I do my brows too. they're sort of dark brown and the dye just gives them a reddish tinge but I think it looks better than having dark brows and red hair. I also use a reddish pencil (from avon, thanks mom) to fill in the bald spots from overplucking. I just wonder how much matching the brows matters? especially if your hair's like, blue? I didn't match when my hair was purple or orange.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #166
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonjoy
I used to keep my brows their natural width, only plucking a bit at the ends and to clean them up a little, and then I'd use powder or pencil to darken them a little. But then I got bored. So now I pluck them REALLY thin and pencil over them. I make the ends go out a bit longer and higher than natural just for fun. It'll only be a matter of time 'til I'm shaving them off. (I can get REALLY bored sometimes.)
Oh yeah. Me too yesterday - I was bored cuz I'm sick and I can do almost nothing - so, plucking brows, there. And I decided to change my style again - and now they're reaaally thin.
I always make the ends go longer than they are, or else it'd look stupid with me... Or I just have done so for too long time that I find it crazy-looking if they're shorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJames
oh yeah, here's another one - do you dye your brows when you dye your hair? my hair's about 75% silver (family blessing to go all gray in your 20s) - and yes, I know, I should totally let it grow out cause that would be so awesome, but problem is I have really long hair and it would take many years... anyway... I dye my hair dark red and whem I remember I do my brows too. they're sort of dark brown and the dye just gives them a reddish tinge but I think it looks better than having dark brows and red hair. I also use a reddish pencil (from avon, thanks mom) to fill in the bald spots from overplucking. I just wonder how much matching the brows matters? especially if your hair's like, blue? I didn't match when my hair was purple or orange.
If you meant making your hairdresser dye them for you by the same colour as hair then I say, no. For two reasons: one, I always want to dye my brows by myself(I learned to do so from experience)so I don't let a hairdresser dye them for me. And two, I don't dye my hair... yet. I have a plan, you see. I'm growing them longer, somewhat 20cm longer, and then I'll dye them - surprise - dark red.

Matching the brows with hair is of course a necessary thing, if one wants to, but not essential. Blue-haired person can have black or grey brows instead of blue, too.(just my opinion). But I don't think it'd look very esthetic if one had blue hair and brown brows or something.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #167
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by end.of.eternity
It's quite narrow-minded of you to think like that and that makes you sound like you think people prepare themselves only to please or offend other people, but somebody, like me, only makeup the way I like and never even think of what others might think of me.
If you and your friends had never seen a mirror or shiney, polished surfaces akin to mirrors do you think you would apply make-up?
If you lived alone and never saw another living soul, do you think you would apply make-up?

To say that you do your make up without thinking of what others might think of you is false. We alter our faces to alter the way others look at us - whether this is to impress, disgust, frighten, offend, entrap, bewitch, puzzle, or gain the respect of others - we do it so, to a greater or lesser degree, we can have power over the way others judge us.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #168
CreepyTendencies

I wax them on occassion, but I pay someone to do it because it can be expensive. Plus, I generally don't have the time to get it done on a regular basis. So I pluck in between.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #169
CreepyTendencies

Oops. I mis-typed that. I meant to say I pay someone to do it BUT that can be expensive :-P.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #170
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
If you and your friends had never seen a mirror or shiney, polished surfaces akin to mirrors do you think you would apply make-up?
If you lived alone and never saw another living soul, do you think you would apply make-up?

To say that you do your make up without thinking of what others might think of you is false. We alter our faces to alter the way others look at us - whether this is to impress, disgust, frighten, offend, entrap, bewitch, puzzle, or gain the respect of others - we do it so, to a greater or lesser degree, we can have power over the way others judge us.

In a way you are right. Of course I put my everyday-makeup to cover my bad spots of skin and so on, because I don't want to look 'bad' or 'ugly' or 'dislikable' or whatever one might call it. But why don't I want to look ugly? Now, here you are: I don't want others to think like that of me, so I don't want to give an impression of that from me.
In this you are right.

But the others makeup than the substratum, like green mascara which I use sometimes, is not for making others think like I'm beautiful or make them offended or anything. It doesn't make me more beautiful nor it doesn't make me less it. Still I use it once in a while, why, for my own fun. It's not that when I'm adding it on my lashes I think: "Now, what might people think of this, this is exciting".

Like people who have high forehead can have high brows for that - because it fits them, not because people'd get offended. Now I'm repeating myself.

I realise WolfMoon didn't mean it literally like that, but anyway it's exaggerated to say "Look at me! I disdain you other people!" of someone's brows.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #171
Virulent Dryad

Eyebrows, pah, such bothersome little things. My shape is lovely really, only I wish it were more arched, so I can look like a bitch *ahem*
My eyelashes are long though so it makes up for my lack of arch.
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #172
Virulent Dryad

Ah, but it's not quite the arch I want. It's rather hard to explain, I want a steeper arch, it's quite unrealistic but I've seen it on some ladies and it looked rather fine.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #173
Virulent Dryad

Ok, I'll have to look for some.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 AM   #174
Morrigan_Dubh

I tried a product from Australia callled "Nad's Facial Wand". Anyone heard of it? I though it was going to be hair-removing creme in a stick, but what it turned out to be was wax, and I had to apply it and press the cotton strips that were supplied with it to it, then pull. It didn't work at all for me. It did warn that it might be difficult, but I tried and tried again, to no avail. So I do not recommend this product.

I got so frustrated that I just decided to use wax strips on my brows. It worked quite well and I'm happy enough with the result. My brows are lovely and slim - I just have to use the tweezers now to tidy them up.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:45 PM   #175
Malady

i shave my eyebrows. . .then draw them in, usually heavily arched, like a mannequin. . .I have drawn them in different colors, but usually just dark brown. Does anyone know if there is any truth to parts of your eyebrows not growing back EVER if you wax them off? . . .that's the main reason i havn't done that yet. . .i may want them back someday
Malady is offline   Reply With Quote