Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
DarkPrayer

Location: In a place covered in darkness but filled with only good people
Who here does not wear make-up?

It takes me a long time to get on eye liner, and unless I have eye liner, lipstick looks terrible on me, so I don't wear make-up. I am allergic to some eye shadows, so I can't wear it unless I am SURE that it is safe.
DarkPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Arashi

Many moons ago I did not wear makeup as when I tried to put it on, I'd poke myself in the eye which would then cause horrendous screaming and result in the 'blak tearz' look. Not very desirable. It took me twenty freaking minutes to properly put eyeliner, shadow, and mascara on without it looking like somebody loaded a paintball gun with makeup and shot it at my face. And even if I managed to get that on right, my left eye, which DOES have a mind of it's own, would then somehow acquire the friendship of some foreign object and cause, once again, a very red eye and more black tearzz.

Practice, my pet. I can slap on perfect eyeliner in several seconds nowadays.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
ForgetThisLostLenore

I completely agree with Arashi. I used to look like an awful raccoon of doom and gloom when I first started wearing eyeliner. Now it looks pretty good, and I can apply it on a rather bumpy bus ride with no problems.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Cyberbat

I wear makeup every now and then, only on special occasions. Its really bad for your skin and I'd rather keep my good looks for longer.
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
sintakz

I used to wear eyeliner and eyeshadow but having deep set eyes really messes up the way makeup look on you so I just quit with it.
sintakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Solumina

Most days I go without (who they hell wants to wake up any earlier then they have to for class) but when I go out I like to play up my eyes and it only takes about 10 min to completely do my makeup (15 if I am going to a goth club and about 20 for a gay bar)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
DeathToLems

Most days I just wash my face slap on some moisturiser (if I'm a bit shiny Ill use a tiny dusting of powder foundation) then put on mascara.
If I am going out with my Boyfriend to a restaurant or shopping Ill put on a thin line of eye liner. Starting from the (bottom) outer corner. Sometimes I don't even go all the way along. Just the corners are enough.
Keep in mind the eye liner I use is a pretty thick pencil (Miss sporty 090 Black beauty) Probably the best eyeliner (it actually says eyeshadow pencil to shine and define, but meh its doing a good job at being an eyeliner) I've ever bought.
And that's it.
As long as my hair is clean and shiny I'm not too bothered about any more make up then that.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
DarkPrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
Many moons ago I did not wear makeup as when I tried to put it on, I'd poke myself in the eye which would then cause horrendous screaming and result in the 'blak tearz' look. Not very desirable. It took me twenty freaking minutes to properly put eyeliner, shadow, and mascara on without it looking like somebody loaded a paintball gun with makeup and shot it at my face. And even if I managed to get that on right, my left eye, which DOES have a mind of it's own, would then somehow acquire the friendship of some foreign object and cause, once again, a very red eye and more black tearzz.

Practice, my pet. I can slap on perfect eyeliner in several seconds nowadays.
I try to practice, but I end up having raccoon eyes. XD
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Minyaliel

I can't imagine not wearing makeup... seriously... but then I find it enjoyable to experiment with such things and plan on studying makeup next year anyway. I think the longest time I've ever used for a properly applied makeup was six hours, but then that was really complicated theatre stuff too. Normally I can use anything between 20 minutes to an hour on makeup, depending on my mood, every morning.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Arashi

Trust me, I've looked like a raccoon much more that I've cared to acknowledge... I think that most of us who wear makeup (us referring to the people on this site, rather than people who wear makeup in general) have resembled raccoons at some point, it just takes time to learn to do it properly rather than end up looking like a raccoon/ a clown/ and any other funny similes that people want to come up with.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
I can't imagine not wearing makeup... seriously... but then I find it enjoyable to experiment with such things
I agree with this. I love to experiment with my eyeliner and shadows ( as seen in the pic thread by some of you, also see profile and avatar ) .

Darkprayer, if it's eyeliner you're having trouble with, rest your elbow on something. Start with a cheap pencil liner , a big bottle of hypoallergenic eyemakeup remover, and some cotton buds/Q tips to correct mistakes . Then experiment and practice.

When you get comfortable with pencil, try liquid, even if only to see if you like it. If not then get yourself a better quality pencil liner . With liquid I found the spongy nib type applicator, was easier than that long brush many have.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
DarkPrayer

Quote:
Trust me, I've looked like a raccoon much more that I've cared to acknowledge... I think that most of us who wear makeup (us referring to the people on this site, rather than people who wear makeup in general) have resembled raccoons at some point, it just takes time to learn to do it properly rather than end up looking like a raccoon/ a clown/ and any other funny similes that people want to come up with.
I'll keep practicing. Sadly, I am still at an age where my parents can control me like a remote. Whenever I go out wearing make-up, my Mom freaks and I have to wash it out. Otherwise she will give me the, "this is my house, and while you live in it, you have to go by my rules" lecture.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
mindless1

I don't wear makeup most of the time...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Arashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPrayer
I'll keep practicing. Sadly, I am still at an age where my parents can control me like a remote. Whenever I go out wearing make-up, my Mom freaks and I have to wash it out. Otherwise she will give me the, "this is my house, and while you live in it, you have to go by my rules" lecture.
Hmmm... posts like this make me extremely grateful of my awesome mother, who is amazingly accepting of the way I do my makeup, my clothing choices, and such. She's even brought me home interesting eye shadow colors that she saw in the store and thought that I would like.

Well, then all that I can say is that you should practice whenever you can, even if you then have to wash it off. This way, when the time comes when you are of age to do what you like with your own face, you'll know how to put makeup on without being plagued by the whole raccoon look.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
BlkGothGrl

I am truly The Suck at putting on makeup. At most, I can do eyeliner, some shadow (if I push my luck I can get TWO shades on! whoot!) mascara and lipstick (a bronzy brown, topped with black--makes some coolness).

And that is about it.

I am pathetic....
BlkGothGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
Clockwork

I've gone without for about a week now, as I need to be in character for this movie we're making in my French class, and he isn't a goth. I almost always wear eyeliner at least, however, because I think it's necessary to compliment my hair... and if I don't do either, then I'm utterly bored throughout the day.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
DarkPrayer

Quote:
Hmmm... posts like this make me extremely grateful of my awesome mother, who is amazingly accepting of the way I do my makeup, my clothing choices, and such. She's even brought me home interesting eye shadow colors that she saw in the store and thought that I would like.
You have an awesome mother. As long as my make-up looks "normal" and "realistic" my mother doesn't care. I think she just doesn't want me to be thought of as a freak, so she monitors the way I dress and act.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Sinless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPrayer
You have an awesome mother. As long as my make-up looks "normal" and "realistic" my mother doesn't care. I think she just doesn't want me to be thought of as a freak, so she monitors the way I dress and act.
It sounds like she really loves you. Maybe a bit too much DarkPrayer. Try to ask her to give you some space. You sound very protected.
Sinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
korinna5555

I gave up on makeup.. I feel so much more attractive without gunk on my face.

No makeup:
http://a820.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...504920d5c3.jpg

Makeup:
http://a164.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...a3a01cc7d3.jpg
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
Green.Lady

Ahhh, sea of tie-dye...
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #21
korinna5555

Yeah.. I went on a spree this weekend. Eight shirts and a pair of underwear later.. XD
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #22
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I hardly wear make up aside from the odd photo shoot or halloween fun.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #23
Sinless

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I gave up on makeup.. I feel so much more attractive without gunk on my face.
Good for you. I wish all girls felt that way.
Sinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #24
korinna5555

I've had some fairly serious self-esteem issues.. I hid behind my clothes, and hid behind my makeup.

I am fucking sick of hiding.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
badteccy

I OCCASIONALLY wear lipstick. Fuck makeup, it's boring.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote