Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Manipulation

It would be awesome if you could answer these questions for me :)

Hi there, I am currently studying fashion, and will be designing a collection on goth fashion. As part of my brief, I need to get to know your identity, and it would very much appreciated if you could answer these questions so I can gain a very brief insight into your minds so I can design my collection accordingly. Thanks for answering these questions, you don't have to answer all of them, some topics can be touchy, very personal and such, but as much as you can would help me do a very detailed analysis, and if you don't want to post your answers here, you can PM them to me.

On a scale of 1-10 how well off do you rate yourself? (money)
1- very poor 10- very well off

Do you have a religion you feel closest to?

What is your most valuable possession? Why?

What possession in your opinions represents/ identifies you the most?

Would you say you are comfortable and confident in your environment doing everyday stuff based on your identity (i.e goth culture, eg. wearing clothes that identify you to your identity without caring whether people are critical of you/ or their opinions)

What kind of things consume your spare time?

Do you dress similar to your friends? Family? Affiliations?

Do you have any stereotype you feel you are drawn to?

Does the season/ environment affect your day to day clothing choice? (e.g Type of clothes you wear, feelings you have, things you want/ don't want to do, etc)

In your opinion, do you think your personality is one that stands out in the crowd? Does it blend in? Or do you prefer not be noticed at all? Please provide reasons?

What is the state of your bedroom right now?

How well do you get along with your parents?

Are you a music person? What genres do you feel yourself drawn to?

If you believe you have a soul, does it affect your clothing style?

What colour are the majority of yours clothes? Why?

What would an idea garment for you be?

Do you have any tattoos/ piercings? Where/ what/why?

What opinion do you have on corests?

Are your family uncomfortable by your clothing choice?

What is your most common piecce of clothing/ Why?

What does the colour black mean/ symbolise to you?

I do realise this is a long questionnaire, but thanks in advance for answering them. You can also email me your answers to miserably.stunning@**********

Have a great day xD
Manipulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Porcelain

Ok I got bored.

Traditional Anglican.

valuable or valUED? my most valued posesion is my guitar. most valuable....laptop?

paint/canvas/brushes/easel.

Would you say you are comfortable and confident in your environment doing everyday stuff based on your identity (i.e goth culture, eg. wearing clothes that identify you to your identity without caring whether people are critical of you/ or their opinions)
I don't think I'd call myself a GOTH. But...yes, I am comfortable. My school people are un-judging and my parents dont care.

painting, music, internet

no.

not personally. I don't necessarily conform to them, but I enjoy the styles.

Does the season/ environment affect your day to day clothing choice? (e.g Type of clothes you wear, feelings you have, things you want/ don't want to do, etc)
Not particularly.

In your opinion, do you think your personality is one that stands out in the crowd? Does it blend in? Or do you prefer not be noticed at all? Please provide reasons?
I have multiple personalities, so it's hard to say.

Neat and tidy.

I despise my idiotic stepfather, my mother is a lunatic and I love my dad to bits, we're best friends

uhh....classical/opera, punk rock, melodic metal, horror punk, acoustic/indie, industrial, gothic, metal, inudustrial industrial industrial.

huh...? My clothes reflect on things I...like I guess.

White/cream and black. because I like white. and black goes well with white, in small quantities.

a very lacy, long skirt...which is short at some parts. basically, gives the appearance of modesty when really its kinda skimpy.

piercings--nose, took my septum out, angel bites, labret, earsx6, bellybuttton, took tongue bar out.

I LALALALOVE them. Don't know why. I like reducing my waist....and they're just pretty and comfortable.

They love it.

My ragdoll skirt. because I made it. and it's perfect.

if in large quantities, it mean's im in a shit mood and i hate everyone and don't talk to me.
in small quantities, im in my normal mood.
aka, indifferent and i am indifferent to everybody and indifferent to whether or not people talk to me.
Porcelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
Minyaliel

Can't send you PM's, Manipulation, and your email's been censored. :P Sort of difficult to help you out then...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Man In Room 5

10 on payday. 1 throughout the rest of the week.

Yes, but since you didn't ask me to name it I won't reveal it.

Money is obviously my most valuable possession because it's the only one which stores will accept in exchange for food and clothing. Have you ever tried bartering at Wal-Mart? Doesn't work.

Obviously, my driver's license and state ID because those are the ones the police always ask me for.

Surveys

Yes. No. No.

Sony.

This question is lame and vague. It would require me to write an entire book to cover all the options which it could imply. I think what you mean to say is, do I wear a leather jacket in 98 degree weather because being cool in the cultural sense is more important than being cool in the literal sense? Yes. Every good punk knows it's always leather weather.

They say there's one in ever crowd. It's usually me.

Illinois

Are you a music person?

You tell me. See illustration

Contact your local police department for a free copy of my rap sheet.

Every spellchecker should have one.

Sometimes, but it's their own fault. They shouldn't be wearing my shit anyway.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Cptobvious

Not particularly, although I was raised Protestant.

I don't really value my possessions, the things that mean most to my are friends.

Strait Jacket.

I'm very comfortable in my environment, I don't set out to impress anyone. It keeps things simple when you just don't give a damn.

No.

No.

Obviously the weather is going to affect what I wear, I live up north and a jacket is always nice on a cold day. Rainy days tend to make me a little more chipper, and night time for some reason always makes me more destructive.

I stand out, my sense of humor is rather dark and catches most people off guard.

Messy, very messy.

Not at all.

I listen to virtually all kinds of except for gospel, modern country, and opera.

No.

Black shirts, blue jeans... mostly. It's easy to find an outfit.

What would an ideal garment for you be?
Anything comfortable that suits my style.

My lip, simply because I was losing my mind in a random spell of boredom and went to get it pierced.

Corsets are very attractive on ladies.

No.

Jeans, comfortable.

“I'd like to wear a rainbow every day, and tell the world that everything is okay, but I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back; until things are brighter, I'm the Man in Black.” -Johnny Cash
Cptobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Cptobvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
Are you a music person?

You tell me. See illustration

Simply impressive.
Cptobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
girasol

*closest to atheism.

*the most valuable thing is one of my dresses, but most valuable to me is my organizer =)

*My books/ my shoes.

*I never think of myself as goth when I pick clothing. It just so happens that I like a lot of black, and fit in. I would never wear platform boots during the day, no because of what people think but because I don't need any negative attention or to be pissed off by reactions.

*reading, parties, playing pool, burlesque classes, etc.

*I share dress sense with maybe 4 people I know here. But dress like some of my friends in the sense that - I like corsets, high heels, cute dresses as much as any. I do not dress like my family.

*I am drawn to awkward people. Once they feel comfortable speaking to you, they generally have moe interesting things to say. I am drawn to interesting.

*yes and no. I always wear short sleaved dresses or sleaveless dresses/tops when out and just bring a coat. Summer makes me bitchy and temperamental because of the heat. In winter I tend to want more makeup, darker stockings and gloves. In summer I just want to stay inside and take shawls because I burn.

*Yes. Because I am not very shy/awkward, I am not loud and annoying, have fallen out with 'the cool people', and people seem to either like me or hate me. I like my peace but I also like positive attention.

*My bed is covered with clothes that I am going to sell, give away and maybe forgive and stash somewere. My dressing table is dirty from powder, ash and has products evereywhere. The cupboard is full of plastic/paper bags that I will use some time and my clothes rack is broken because I hung too much on one side of it.

*I get along with Mum now that I live in a different country and she misses me. I haven't spoken to or seen my dad since I was 18. I don't speak to me step-dad after the crap that hapenned in December.

*I am not really a music person, I don't know loads about genres, albums, artists that I haven't heard and don't interest me but I couldn't go without listening to what I like. I like synthpop, some industrial and am pretty open to new music.

*Sort of. I know what suits me and what I like but sometimes we dress as who we want to be seen as.

*Black. Because it goes with almost everything I own, it can be a lot of things. Red. Because it suits my skin and it is attactive. And burgundy. It is my favourite.

* ideal garment? Just above the knee 40s/50s dresses

*No tattoos. Am waiting for my ears to close up. a. I have things I want more than my tattoo and I change my mind - not about the tattoo but about whether I need it. Also a portrait of a beautiful person for me doesn't have tattoos, tan marks, or piercings. Its perfect without.

*Corsets are great but the nice ones are expensive. I wish normal fabric cinchers wouldn't be out of place as officewear, they're awesome for posture and enhance everything you have or don't have.

*Not anymore. They are relieved I don't look grungy and unkept anymore. They have told me I should wear colours and make a point of telling me I look really nice and normal when I wear tracksuits to go to the gym

*skirts. they suit me, and I get paranoid people check me out when I wear pants.

*It doesn't mean anything to me, it is just adaptable.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Minyaliel

MiR5, you made me roflmao. Thank you, I needed it. xD
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
MiR5, you made me roflmao. Thank you, I needed it. xD
Anytime you want to roll on the floor, just let me know.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Minyaliel

Hahaha... xD I'll give you a shout if I get too bogged up with writing my goth paper. (It's certainly better than mentally kicking myself because I can't stop procrastinating, lol. Oh well, I'm half through it now... 8 pages out of 14 isn't that bad.)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Minyaliel

...talking about procrastinating... oh what the bleep. I really should stop spamming this thread and just answer the questionnaire.

Yes. I'm a Satanist.

My musical instruments. And that goes for both monetary and emotional value. My mother paid insane amounts of money for my concert flute, piano, guitar and whatnot.

My pentagram necklace. I never take it off for anything less than being required to do so when I'm acting.

Errrr...? I'll have to re- read that, the question is quite confusing. Oh... I think I get it now. Of course I feel comfortable. Why shouldn't I?

Music, studying, reading, painting, socializing, dancing. Oh, and debugging my Linux box. Now *that* is time- consuming.

My boyfriend's a goth, and I have some goth friends. My style might sometimes look a bit similar to theirs if you don't know much about goth. Apart from that, no, no, no.

The "I dislike stereotypes and want them to die" stereotype.

I will still stubbornly wear my boots even when it's 25+ degrees (celcius) outside if I feel like wearing them. However, we've got really cold winters up here, so I tend to dress Victorian in winter for warmth.

*giggle* Honey, I'm an exhibitionist, I can't help myself. Yes, I do stand out in a crowd. Heck, tourists come to ask me if they can take a picture with me when I'm walking around the main touristy places in summer. I really should start charging them for doing so, I would be rich by now if I did.

Why's that relevant? Oh well, I'll humour you. It looks like it could sprout a new civilisation any day soon. It's a scientific experiment.

My father ditched me when I was a kid, so I don't presume he would get along very well with me. My mother loves me, although she can get on my nerves very badly if I stay at home for a very long time. Fortunately, I live a far way off, and am very grateful that I have such a great mom.

Yeah, I'm an opera singer and musician so, obviously I am. I like a lot of styles; opera/ classical, jazz, rockabilly, new wave, rock, indie, cabaret, chansons a la Weill and Brel, goth, avant- garde, punk.... really, I can't name it all. I dislike electronic music and anything even remotely related to hiphop and rap, and I am bored to death by reggae and "normal" pop.

Uh... I guess I'll have to say Not Applicable... I'm me, I dress the way I feel like dressing that particular day, that's it.

Black, white, blueish and berry hues. I just happen to like those colours. And they suit me really, really well.

Something elegant, well- tailored and comfy.

Only my earlobes, and those don't really count. I will get a tattoo one day though, when I have money in excess. :P

I will just skip commenting on the spelling mistake... I prefer corsets to bras, they support my bust a lot better than a normal bra because I'm rather well endoved. And I like the way they shape my waist - I am quite slender already, but I get really hourglass shaped when wearing a corset (mine nips in 8- 12 cm...). I rarely wear it over my clothes, though, because, being mass- produced, it isn't really high enough for me to trust it 100% (my back is quite long). If I had one that was made to my measurements, I would consider it.

Depends what I'm wearing. My grandmother drools over my clothes when I'm dressing in Victoriana/ gothabilly, as does my mother. I don't think they appreciate it as much when I'm in the mood for some deathrock, though, but they never say anything.

Uh... that's a really odd question. You mean, what I wear most often? Or whether I have one single garment that I wear all the time? My way of dressing changes all the time, and thus this isn't really applicable to me, since my stylistic choices vary so much.

It's a colour. I tend to feel comfortable in it, but that might just be because I'm a trained actress, and we used to be required to wear black clothing for school. I tend to wear black when I need to feel comfortable and centred.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Probably a 3.

I guess paganism, but I'm an atheist.

I don't feel too connected to possessions, but I guess my cellphone. Because I can call people.

My journal?

Yeah.

This nonsense, clubbing, sex, reading, eating water ice.

No, not really.

I'm getting more and more dykey every day.

Well, sure. I'm not going to wear a sweater if I know it's going to be 80 degrees one day, and I won't wear long pants if it'll be humid.

I stand out, but would prefer sometimes to blend in. I won't lie and say I don't like attention, but I couldn't stop getting it if I tried.

It's clean.

Not very well at all.

Yes. I like 80s music, classic rock, and pop music. I'll listen to anything, I just happen to listen to those the most.

I don't believe in it.

Black, because I like black, but actually, it's sort of rare that I wear black now.

You mean "ideal?" Nothing. I prefer nakedness.

I used to have my nose and my navel pierced, but I let them close. I have both ears pierced three times, but only very very rarely wear earrings. I have four tattoos. On my upper inner right arm I have the phrase "Happy As A Clam" with a little clam, on my ribs I have some orange and white flowers accompanied by grasses, I have a compass/pentagram for a tramp stamp, and between my shoulderblades I have "First Fig" by Edna St. Vincent Millay.

I like them, and wish fewer people wore them. Most people know dick about them, but have a sort of undeserved feeling of superiority when they wear them. That and most people can't pull off the look.

Sometimes.

Tank tops.

It's just a colour. Looks good with most things, traps heat in, and shows hair and fuzzies.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
NachtSorcier

I'm a practicing Wiccan.

I assume you mean "valued." I suppose it would be my grandmother's cast iron skillet. She taught me to cook.

All of them, I guess. If it didn't mean something to me I wouldn't have it.

Yes.

Reading, meditation, creating herbal mixtures, mindlessly surfing the 'net.

No.

I like to get laid with a minimum of bullshit. Some would say that's a stereotype of the gay man.

I don't wear my trench coat when it's above 60 degrees.

I would say that I prefer not to be noticed, but that doesn't work out. Being quiet and introverted is a sure way to get attention in the form of whispers and covert glances. They think I'm hot but dangerous. Yeah, baby.

It's a gigantic mess.

Hmm. Well, the sperm donor lives like twenty minutes away but he hasn't bothered to contact me in the last eight years so he doesn't really exist in my world. My mom and I have no animosity toward each other, but I'm not a family-oriented person.

I know what I like, but I'm hardly a connoisseur. I listen mostly to classic goth rock and new wave. I also like some 80s pop, industrial, and classical.

That question doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I do believe in souls but mine has little to do with my choice of clothing.

Black, because it's my favorite color and it looks best on me. At least in my own opinion.

Ideal? I dunno, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.

Thus far only my left earlobe is pierced. I'll have more done when I'm rich.

Frank-n-Furter looked good in his.

My mom doesn't give a rat's ass. The rest of my family appears to be confused by my choices but that's their problem.

Black jeans and a band t-shirt. Because I said so.

Emptiness, potential, truth, infinite, sensuality, serenity, death and its inevitable rebirth. And it's slimming in terms of fashion.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

First of all, if you're gonna do a collection of gothic fashion, try not to make something that looks faux victorian. That's terrible.
Look at some deathrock models and that's the path you should go.
It's way cooler, more diverse, somewhat edgy, and creative.
Like this girl http://www.deathrockmagazine.com/images/about2.jpg
that's fucking sweet

anyway

None, just Atheist.

My books. It gives me a sense of pride to see all I've read.

My saxophone. I'm an amateur but I don't give up and while I feel I'm below what should be acceptable, many people that have heard me are impressed. That parallels other aspects of my life.

I'm very comfortable. I wear things that express my political opinion. I like expressing it and I like when people comment on it because we get in cool discussions.

When there's no one around I practice saxophone. Other than that I research stuff online or read. I do waste like an hour everyday on some videogame or another.

My friends and I clearly look like friends, but we dress entirely differently. It's more of our use of accessories. One looks kinda punkish, one looks kinda reggae, one looks kinda hipsterish, one kinda hippyish. Hell, I just realized we pretty much each fits one cliché, but we own them. We're awesome.

Not really. I used to be into deathrock, but it's too much effort even if the look is cool. Now I look more like a punk but I hate most punk scenes. I'm just drawn to cool people and that's all. That transcends cliques.

I live in a fucking desert, so yes. We all suffer unless we wear very light clothes. I have to find a balance between looking good and feeling good. For instance I can't wear my vest anymore because it's just another unnecessary layer of clothing.

A little of both. Half the time I walk with confidence. Half the time I try to be unnoticed. But I never am. People don't approach me when I'm obviously trying to blend in except to ask me what's wrong. But honestly I prefer people seeing me and not being able to pretend I'm not there.

Messy

My parents are awesome. I with I will raise my children half as good as they raised me.

I care about the attitude of music. I like Jazz and Ska because Jazz is inherently expressive and creative with its emphasis on improvisation, while Ska is inherently friendly with fun music created by the combination of different instruments each playing extremely simple melodies. Other than that I like punk that has substance.

The hell? I have no idea what this question means.

Black, red, white, brown, green. I used to like black for the same wannabe reasons a lot of people do.
Now I like its semiotics. Black and red are the anarchocommunist colors. White with black is anarchopacifism. Brown is an important color in Chicano culture, and green just goes with all the above.

You mean ideal garment? Some tight but comfy pants, a Zapatista shirt, and a vest with numerous patches and buttons of local bands or political movements. And a book in my hand. I really like that.

None. I might get a tattoo eventually.

I dislike them. But mainly I dislike most people that like them.

Quite so, much more now that I don't have a mohawk.

My belt. I only have one. My boots and loafers might be another common piece, alternating between them.

It's just a nice color, but it's also the anarchist color par excellence so I use it with other things that, as I said, shows movements I support.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
HavelockV

About a 5

Roman Catholicism

My sanity, for obvious reasons.

An antique German crucifix made of black wood and silver metal. To me, it represents my faith, my slightly conservative nature, my interest in art and things from ages past, the colors I most identify with, and, with the skull and crossbones of Adam underneath the crucified Christ, my fascination with some of the darker aspects of human nature.

I would venture to say that my day-to-day style of dressing is not quite so conspicuous as to make me really stand out in a crowd. As such, I am generally quite comfortable going about my business. Occasionally I may receive a compliment or a look, but nothing that would make me self-conscious.

Reading, watching movies, listening to music, talking with friends, browsing the internet, perusing flea markets, thrift stores and antique shops.

Some of my friends dress in varying degrees of similarity, though generally with their own particular flair. No one in my family even comes close.

I enjoy a wide variety of styles and looks, though I will always retain something of a soft spot for Victoriana (much to the chagrin of some) and Militaria.

I resent summer because the heat often makes it necessary to dispense with the coat or jacket that I would normally wear over my other clothes.

I have been told that I give the impression of being 'on a mission' and slightly unapproachable. I do not mind being noticed, but neither do I go out of my way to draw attention to myself.

Surprisingly clean and well-organized, but that can be attributed to the fact that I have family visiting.

Generally well.

I enjoy a wide variety of musical genres, including classical, classical crossover, some opera, musicals, film scores, rock, techno, and power/epic metal. I am particularly fond of certain classically-influenced interpretations of the latter styles, especially those featuring choral and orchestral parts.

Why should it?

Black. I find it to be an elegant color that is also appropriate in a variety of situations. Plus, it just naturally appeals to me.

A well-tailored black tailcoat or frock coat, though obviously worn with other garments.

None to speak of. I have never felt compelled to engage in even the most innocuous forms of body modification. Simply not my cup of tea.

They can be quite flattering to the female figure, but can be unsightly in situations where their constrictive qualities further emphasize obesity instead of concealing it.

Not particularly, though my mother often comments that I have far too much black in my closet.

I have a variety of tailored jackets and coats that I pair with button-up dress shirts.

It is a dignified color, also slightly intimidating and timeless.

I wish you well with your project and would be quite interested in seeing your concoctions when completed. Good luck!
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #16
Maxim_Macabre

[quote=HavelockV;538874]On a scale of 1-10 how well off do you rate yourself? (money)
None.

[i]Time, obvious./I]

An antique German crucifix made of black wood and silver metal. To me, it represents my faith, my slightly conservative nature, my interest in art and things from ages past, the colors I most identify with, and, with the skull and crossbones of Adam underneath the crucified Christ, my fascination with some of the darker aspects of human nature.

I usually get only recieve complements in this regard, however I'm usually wearing a uniform for school so the only chance I have to wear what I want is outside of it.

Painting, Reading, Listening to Music, Attempting to play Guitar, Writing.

No I don't, most of my friends and other relations are rather concervative and mainstream in their approach.

Not really drawn to in the sense of wishing to mimic but I do appreciate deathrock fashion.

Summer is usually worst for me as I dislike wearing shorts due to the heat.

A little bit of both, I'm not the most social or charasmatic individual but still draw attention for various other reasons.

Looks like a bomb went off.

Well enough, probably more so with my mother then father.

Very much so. In concern to genres ranging from; Deathrock, Post-Punk, Punk, Coldwave, Darkwave, Dark EBM, Black Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Post-Black Metal, Depressive Rock, Classical, Cabaret, Dark Cabaret.

Eh?

Black and red. They are my favourites, and therefore its reflected in what i wear.

[i]Usually I wear: T-shirt (Generally DIY'ed Band), Denim Vest/Jacket with Pins/Band Patches, Skinny Jeans, Boots or comfortable shoes./I]

None.

It depends entirely upon the physique of the individual wearing it, either they can be too small or too large.

I get the comments of wearing too much black, but generally they don't mind much.

Band shirt?

Curiosity.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #17
Technowitch

3. I'm not completely destitute, but it's pretty difficult paying for necessities sometimes.

I've learned not to discuss religion in public. It always ends in tears.

Monetary value? Probably my laptop, though not anymore simply because it's seven years old. :<

My sketchbooks, probably. Though I suppose my LJ counts, too.

The whole "goth" thing is only apparent when I dress up. Usually I just wear jeans and t-shirts, which is pretty comfortable and doesn't stand out enough to attract any negative attention.

Reading, drawing, interwebz/iRO, D&D.

Yes and no. Just bumming around or going to school, I don't look any different than the majority of my friends--I mean, when you're just wearing a black shirt and jeans, it's hard to stand out from other people who wear black shirts and jeans, right? The fact that all my friends are male and I tend to shop in the men's department doesn't help. However, dressing up for special events, I do look distinctly different, simply because I actually wear women's clothing then.

I don't dress anything like my family.

What, fashion stereotype? ...I like the whole flapper look. I want to be a flapper, but tracking down vintage 20s clothing in my size is a bitch. It's either damaged or too expensive. :<

No. I wear black all the time and long sleeves most of the time. I don't register heat very well, I'm always cold, and I burn very easily anyway so I tend to keep covered up.

It depends on the crowd I'm with at the time. All of my coworkers and most of my customers from my two previous jobs were very different from me, and I'm kind of the black sheep of my family. I fit in just fine with my friends, since we share a lot of similar interests and they don't seem to mind my odd quirks.

Like a F-5 disaster zone. :<

About average. They fuss at me a bit for my nocturnal habits and odd dress, and we can't see eye to eye on any political, social, or religious topics. But we still care about each other and try to get along. Usually we succeed in that.

I listen to goth rock and a little deathrock, some punk, EBM, industrial, post-industrial, darkwave, new wave, and a bit of classical/symphonic here and there.

Also, a lot of video game soundtracks, because I'm a huge nerd like that.

lol wut? How would having a soul affect my clothing choices? This question makes no sense.

Black. It's slimming, hides most dirt and stains (useful for someone like me, since I frequently end up splattered in charcoal, paint, graphite, ink, coffee, et cetera), is easy to match, traps heat, and can work in casual or formal occaisions equally well.

Anything based on Victorian or 1920s fashions, though it would also be nice to have EGA for chubby girls like me. :<

Two lobe piercings, with three cartilage and an industrial planned in the future. Also, I've designed a Steampunk-influence tattoo that will be my graduation present to myself.

Body modification is both an aesthetic and a spiritual thing for me. I believe that, by decorating my body and making it a living artwork, I am creating a more pleasing shell for my soul.

What opinion do you have on corsets?

Fix'd ur spelling. I don't have a corset myself, but I have worn them in the past. I rather like them; they offer better support for my bust than most bras, force me to adopt better posture (which in turn takes a lot of pressure off of my lower back), and are very flattering.

Yes. They aren't particularly fond of my monochromatic wardrobe.

Black t-shirts. They're cheap, easy to find, comfortable to wear, and fun to alter when I'm in the mood.

...It's a color. =/
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
Solumina

Well I don't exactly have a ton of money but I have zero debt and actual significant savings/investments which is apparently unusual for a 22 year old so I'd say about an 8

Pagan I suppose

Hard to say, I have a lot of very sentimental items

um...my dream catcher

Yes

At the moment I am spending a lot of time packing since I will be moving at the end of the month but most of that time would be devoted to reading, curling up with a nice cup of tea, and hanging out with friends

Not really, though there are some items of clothing that I borrow from friends and some that they borrow from me

I guess deep down I'm really one of those candy goths/gravers/whatever you want to call them

Does the season/ environment affect your day to day clothing choice? (e.g Type of clothes you wear, feelings you have, things you want/ don't want to do, etc)I do dress in accordance with the weather and I'm not exactly going to wear a corset to a job interview

People seem to think I'm somehow "different" but I don't really get it. This isn't to say that people think I'm dark/scary/intimidating/whatever, most of the reactions that I get are overwhelmingly positive, there just seems to be something about me that makes people take notice

Slightly chaotic due to the upcoming move but not terribly unmanageable

Yes, up until his death my father was the first person I would go to for advice and my mother and I continue to be close friends

I like bit of everything really though one could say that my tastes are somewhat stuck in the 80's

Well the soul is kind of like your essence so to me that would be like asking if your personality affects your clothing style.

I don't really have a singular color that permeates my wardrobe but there are an awful lot of jewel tones. I like them and they look stunning on me

Something really well cut, fitted, and tailored, slightly deconstructed, and a bit torn in a few spots so that you could see just a peak of layers of fishnets or something underneath

I have my ears pierced but nothing else, I have been thinking about a tattoo for a while now but I'm still a bit indecisive about exactly what I want

I love corsets, at least I love well made corsets that fit correctly (you can pull them as tight as you like but if it is too short or too low cut they can give bulges to even the most slender figure

Not really, I don't think my Nana would approve of what I wear to the club but she is 94 and doesn't really approve of skirts that don't cover your knees

Tank top? They are rather comfortable and are easy to layer

Nothing, and not nothing as in it is the essence of nothingness rather it actually doesn't mean anything
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #19
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_Macabre View Post

Mr. Macabre, that it seems you accidentally quoted my response to this question. Understandable oversight, really, but I thought to point it out to you should you wish to correct it.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
SiouxsiePernova

5 or thereabouts.

I am an atheist.

My camera, because it is essential for my coursework.

Again, my camera.

Yes: I do and wear whatever pleases me and makes me feel comfortable.

Photography, spending time with my boyfriend, listening to music, reading, shopping, making accessories.

I do dress similarly to some of my friends and acquaintances, but definitely not to my family.

I probably seem like a stereotypical Goth in many ways.

I live in Australia, so it is not practical to wear a black velvet vortex all year round. I try to make a compromise between looking aesthetically pleasing and wearing garments that are comfortable.

I don't purposely try to differentiate myself from others, but I suppose that that is what inevitably happens.

A shambles.

Extremely well.

I prefer Gothic Rock and Deathrock.

I don't know.

What colour are the majority of your clothes? Why?

Predominantly black with touches of burgundy, purple, deep blue and emerald green, because I feel that they are most flattering to my complexion.

Preferably one that fits.

No.

What opinion do you have on corsets?

They are overrated.

I don't think so, although my mother has told me that she is not very fond of the bone/skeletal accessories.

What is your most common piece of clothing/ Why?

Skirts, because I dislike wearing pants.

Laziness, as an all-black outfit means that colour co-ordination is not necessary.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #21
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
I can determine, by this paragraph alone, that I do not like you.

3 or so

Depends which religious official I'm kicking down the stairs at the moment.

My computer, the connection to the world.

My messenger bag covered with political patches and buttons.

I feel most comfortable in my most extreme clothing.

Making clothes, listening to music, playing music. Hanging out with friends, drinking

Not remotely

Meh, punk I spose.

Yes, I don't wear sleeves in summer.
I would say so.
A mess

Usually well

Yes.

I don't believe in a soul.

Black. It's versatile.

My jacket.

My ears. Tattoos coming soon.

They look good on a few people

Sometimes

Pants. You figure it out

Anarchy baby.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Cicero

On my own - 2
With the support of my parents - 9

I'm atheist, but have a keen interest in the religions and beliefs of hunter-gatherer societies. Animism, shamanism, etc.

Being ridiculously sentimental it's hard to choose one, but I'd probably be most shattered if I lost my bone collection. Yes, that's a 'collection' of possessions rather than a single one, but bleh.

If we're talking monetary value, then my Jaguar guitar would be pretty high up there.

The bone collection again. It represents my interests since the age of 8, what I hope to go on and study as a career, and the basis of my personal aesthetic.

Most of the time, yes.

Making jewellery and clothes, the internet, listening to music, dancing, socialising

Similar but not the same as many of my friends, definitely not similar to any of my family.

Not really. Some might say 'deathrocker', but that's actually not true at all.

I rarely sacrifice comfort for achieving a certain look, if that's what you mean. I won't wear leather in a heatwave.

Sometimes I prefer not to be noticed, other times I'm quite happy to stand out, and I usually do. It's all a matter of confidence, and it fluctuates quite frequently for me.

Messy, just like everyone else's apparently.

Extremely well.

Very much so. Deathrock, gothic rock, coldwave, shoegaze, punk, horrorpunk, and all kinds of post-punk.

No and no.

Black with splashes of green, purple and red. I like these colours, and they often match my hair.

Fitted, comfortable, probably some form of green animal print. Minimal detailing that I'll make up for with accessories.

Ear piercings. I have a lot of earrings, and I like to wear them.

They can look beautiful, but are worn too frequently by people who make them look awful.

My parents enthusiastically help me collect the bones I wear, if that's any hint.

Most frequently worn... Probably one of my patched up jackets.

A colour that's easy to match.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
Lady Christine

Hinduism

The book 'Phantom' I own. I say this not to be cliche, but I first red the book at a turning period in my life. I read this book and it really other then being a good story, put things into perspective for me. Up until this point I was very self pity 'Woe is me' in personality. After reading that book, not to say I don't have moments of self pity or such, just I turned around. I realized that my life isn't as bad as it could be.

My Glasses. When you first look at them, you see a dark shade and automatically assume it's black, but as you get closer you see it's a dark brown. Things aren't always what they seem, and that's sort of who I am as a person.

Yup. I'm pretty confident in who I am.

Painting, Drawing, The Internet, Reading, Listening to Music... lots of music :3

Not really. I have friends who dress similarly, but not all my friends.

*shrug*

Meh, I put a big coat on in the winter, that's about the only change.

I'd say so. I can't really explain it, I've been told so though, so I guess it must be true.

Mess.

Decently. It's more of a friend basis though, and I tend to be a Mom to my Mom more often then not.

Yes, Classical, Metal, Showtunes, Alternative, Goth?, Rock, Techno.

No

Black, because it's what I feel most comfortable in.

A Black Corsetted dress, and by that I mean a more accurate Corset, not a Hottopic thingy.

Just my ears, I want more, but I'm waiting to see how my life pans out before altering my body.

Good on some people, bad on obese people.

I hope I don't get jumped for this... My grandmother supported me being my own person, when she died my mom stopped pushing me to fit into a mold and became more open to my lifestyle choices.

A Black T-shirt, because I'm lazy and I like hiding.

All color. The color black to me is a color that is elegant and unifying. It's sort of comforting too... I don't know why really, I just like it.

Joker - Just out of curiosity, why is it that because Havelock V seems to identify with a crucifix you're turned off by it? I'm not trying to be offensive, it's honest curiosity.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #24
Duane

None, I don't like religion

My H2 Handy Recorder

My guitar

Yeah, very comfortable.

Writing lyrics and spending time on computers.

Not really.

To be honest... no.

Somewhat.

Kind of just blends in. Reasons? REASONS?! I doan need no stinkin' reasons!

It's 75% clean.

Pretty well.

Rock music

I guess.

Black.

AC/DC jacket... maybe a Fedora.

nope

Depends on the woman wearing one.

Not really.

excluding the obvious, nothing.

Just a color.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #25
Manipulation

Thank you for all the responses. I am currently writing conclusions & generalisations based on the results received here, and other online communities I have asked for to help with. When I am done, I will begin sketching the collection and will be scanning + uploading here for feedback/ critique. Once again thanks heaps, and hope to see you people soon. ---> thead closed
Manipulation is offline   Reply With Quote