Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
crucifix

pale face powder

anyone got a good recomendation? I normally use coty powder in naturally neutral. Beautiful, super pale beige shade that blends amazing and looks completely natural when I blend it in carefully. It also has good coverage on its own, as I can never find a foundation light enough for me. It is like my skin is in between light and super pale. Anyway, it is getting really hard for me to find it. Walmart and my work, walgreens, only carry the translucent shades now and that is great for oil but sucks for paling out and for coverage. The only place I can find it is at a CVS about 25 mins away. Any other brands that are good?
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Unimatrix 00

Mac do a lovely pale powder in NC5. But if you want a powder with good coverage, its best to go for their powder foundation, called Studiofix. They go from super pale (nc15) to deep colors. I'm NW35.
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Solumina

Mac does make some very high quality powders and foundations including those for very pale individuals. Origins also makes a wide range of products for those of us with fair complexions, you can get them online but I would highly recommend getting matched in a store.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
All Shall Be Judged

Baby powder is what you seek.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Unimatrix 00

Actually, that's a bad idea. It's not milled finely enough, and therefore makes your face look cheap and ashy. Not to mention it dries the fuck out of your skin. Also, its perfumed which can irritate skin, and also it doesn't stay on at all.
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
ragamuffin

here it is, i have your answer! i JUST got done buying 5 of these (powders), cause im about to move far away, and i know i cant live without this stuff. its perfect, worth every penny, and it goes on smooth, and doesnt give you zits. if you are naturally very pale, as i am, it leaves you looking a little bit unearthly more pale, but naturally so.

go to goodgoth.com (dumb name i know) the MINT colored face powder is what i use, but they also have white and lavender. the mint is really good to make you look a little bloodless as it evens red tones.

hope that helps!!!
ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
XxBloodyrosexX

I personally love bloody Mary's make up. This brand has eyeliner nail polish stuff too but I love their face compact in white heat. It is snow white in colour but it is so very shear that it doesn't look like costumey make up. It will not make a tan person pale but it does make your skin go down a few shades. I love it.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Minyaliel

I use Ben Nye´s neutral face powder and am very happy with it. It´s a loose powder though, I´m not sure if they make compact powder too.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00
Actually, that's a bad idea. It's not milled finely enough, and therefore makes your face look cheap and ashy.
It's very finely ground, and only makes your face look "ashy" if you over-apply. Over-applying ANY kind of face powder looks terrible. Apply, and wipe off - it's not a mask, it just takes off the shine.
Quote:
Not to mention it dries the fuck out of your skin.
Not if you exfoliate and moisturise properly.
Quote:
Also, its perfumed which can irritate skin, and also it doesn't stay on at all.
There is an amazing invention I like to call unperfumed baby powder.

It's for babies, and as such, is one of the most non-irritating things you can put on your face.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Solumina

Baby powder isn't really the best for your skin, it isn't really bad either so if you have been using it and are satisfied then good for you. Cornstarch powder is a better option, it is a bit finer as well as having lots of vitamins that actually improve your complexion.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
strange_pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
I personally love bloody Mary's make up. This brand has eyeliner nail polish stuff too but I love their face compact in white heat. It is snow white in colour but it is so very shear that it doesn't look like costumey make up. It will not make a tan person pale but it does make your skin go down a few shades. I love it.
Is that the stuff they sell at hot topic? I always wondered if it would look good but then I figured it was cheap and would look tacky.

Normally, I just use the lightest foundation I can find and then MAC powder on top.
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Baby powder isn't really the best for your skin, it isn't really bad either so if you have been using it and are satisfied then good for you. Cornstarch powder is a better option, it is a bit finer as well as having lots of vitamins that actually improve your complexion.
Certainly - if you enjoy having your airways inflamed, it's perfect.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Are you guys seriously arguing about what face powder is best...?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Solumina

I wasn't intending to but is seems to have gone that way.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Are you guys seriously arguing about what face powder is best...?
Correcting statements one believes to be untrue is not an argument, but a perfectly legitimate discussion.

However, the Judge would not expect you to grasp the difference, having observed your posts. Though she IS amused that you feel able to make the above statement with a straight face given your own propensity towards pedantically correcting others over even more insignificant matters.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged
Correcting statements one believes to be untrue is not an argument, but a perfectly legitimate discussion.

However, the Judge would not expect you to grasp the difference, having observed your posts. Though she IS amused that you feel able to make the above statement with a straight face given your own propensity towards pedantically correcting others over even more insignificant matters.
Don't talk shit about Ophelia.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Don't talk shit about Ophelia.
It's no wonder that your mind revolves around the subject of shit, what with your tongue being lodged firmly up Ophelia's arse. Remove before giving orders, you mumble something dreadful.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #18
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged
It's no wonder that your mind revolves around the subject of shit, what with your tongue being lodged firmly up Ophelia's arse. Remove before giving orders, you mumble something dreadful.
You're truly a master of the cheap retort. All that really proves is that you feel the need to be bitter, probably out of your own insecurity. If you'd like to tell Dr. Albert about your childhood, feel free to. Otherwise, piss off.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
You're truly a master of the cheap retort. All that really proves is that you feel the need to be bitter, probably out of your own insecurity.
I have no insecurities. Just grievances, but since these are born out of love for My world, bitterness doesn't enter into the equation.

Verdict: my "cheap retort", despite not even being that, still contains more truth than yours.

Quote:
If you'd like to tell Dr. Albert about your childhood, feel free to.
Well, I always like to talk about myself, so if you wish. I had a charmed childhood (being the univere's chosen ruler, it took good care to raise me right).
Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

To be ever more goth and quote The Crow--This shit's boring me already.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
To be ever more goth and quote The Crow--This shit's boring me already.
You're leaving Mond to defend your honour?

Good luck with that...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #22
XxBloodyrosexX

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_pleasure
Is that the stuff they sell at hot topic? I always wondered if it would look good but then I figured it was cheap and would look tacky.

Normally, I just use the lightest foundation I can find and then MAC powder on top.
Back to the discustion =)
They sell bloody mary at hot topic?! I guess that shows the last time i was in there to look. Man, I was ordering off the Internet I guess I don't have to do that now!! Thanks! And no, it's not cheap bad stuff, it works very well.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #23
girasol

Stella has quite a sheer white powder that can help get rid of pink cheeks or just to fix the previously applied make-up.
If you apply more, you can get a china doll look.
I don't really like the look of a face paler than the rest of the body.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_pleasure
No, the stuff at hot topic is made by Manic Panic. It can also be ordered off the Manic Panic website. I've never used it though, so I can't attest to how well it works. At least the only kind they used to sell was Manic Panic's brand. It's been ages since I've been in there.

As far as baby powder, I've never used that either. I would imagine it wouldn't work very well, but how well it works may also depend on skin type. I have extremely dry skin, so I doubt it would work for me.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #25
crucifix

Quote:
Actually, that's a bad idea. It's not milled finely enough, and therefore makes your face look cheap and ashy. Not to mention it dries the fuck out of your skin. Also, its perfumed which can irritate skin, and also it doesn't stay on at all.
I would have to agree with that. I have tried baby powder in the past and it never seemed to do what I wanted it too. It never "soaked in" with my skin oils after application and it just seemed to sit there, cakey and way too matte looking to be believable. I like too look matte, but there is that fine line between having your oil controlled and looking like you caked powder all up in your face.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote