Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Can People on Gothic.net have a Real Conversation about Racism?
Yes 4 30.77%
No 6 46.15%
Maybe 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Catch

Talk about Racism?

Opening a real conversation about racism, I have some questions and what I believe might be solutions to think about. Worried about fallout from the white people who seem to have issues about talking racism here is a poll to decide if it would be okay to have a discussion.

People might wonder why I say, “white people,” targeting white people immediately as the problem. Well I have many friends of a multicultural bias and everyone has interests in hearing about what everyone has to say as long as they “keep it real” and it is sensitive without being overly gossipy because they really want to know. I want to know also.

It is like the time this guy from North-Western Africa was working at the local convenience store. Everyone would stop and help him learn English store traffic was slow. I remember talking to him about Africa, about his experience in the USA and telling a bit about myself.

One day there is a line to the back of the store and everyone is getting frustrated. This white chick was at the front of the line having a long conversation and everyone is trying to get to work. Eventually, she took a hint and told everyone off claiming that we were all racist. Frankly, she was the problem. What left her right mind ignoring the fact that it isn’t the middle of the night or midday when there is hardly anyone around? Even the clerk was apologetic and embarrassed about the long line.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Catch

Yep, I see there were a couple votes.... I refuse to post to anything until someone acknowledges this thread.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Elystan

I am, post post post
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
I am, post post post
Ya okay, I guess I'll let it go then....
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Kasdeja

I don't think it could happen without turning into a flamewar or Godwin's Law flying around.

Just my two copper.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Awake Knights

I kindly disagree Kasdeja.

So what exactly are you wanting to discuss Catch? I read your post but unless I just missed it I didn't actually see a question.

(sorry, it's f-ing hot right now.)
Awake Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Kasdeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake Knights View Post

So what exactly are you wanting to discuss Catch? I read your post but unless I just missed it I didn't actually see a question.

Not a problem. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm also looking for a question, by the way.

(and it IS f-ing hot here too)

Last edited by Kasdeja; 09-10-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Awake Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
Not a problem. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm also looking for a question, by the way.

(and it IS f-ing hot here too)
CORRECTION:

Godwins Law may apply...we ARE on the internets.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Kasdeja

Quote:
CORRECTION:Godwins Law may apply...we ARE on the internets.
That is what I figured would be the biggest issue and I don't take Godwin's Law very lightly.

Thanks for recognizing that, AK.

Last edited by Kasdeja; 09-10-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Grausamkeit

OMG!

HIIITLEEEEERRRRR!!!!

There, goddamn it!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Catch

Quote:

The question is whether or not to have a thread that talks about racism, whatever it might be: feeling as though people are acting towards you or someone else based on a race or other race issues.

I placed it in whining, because I already knew that's where it is going to go if not now, eventually.

It seems like a good idea. There are people on the forum who want to talk about race issues, the big question is whether or not people will handle it with grace and share stories without being aggressive or taking it personally.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Kasdeja

I believe I would be able to share my stories without getting aggro and disobeying Godwin's Law.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Grausamkeit

gaaaaaaahhh!!!!!

genocide!

Eugenics!

Hitler!

Charles manson!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Ben Lahnger

Um ... some people are racists, and there's just no talking to them about it.

Other people aren't, and even though they're the ones that a conversation is possible with, there's nothing to talk about because everyone would all agree racism is bad ... except for the racists of course, who would deny that and defend their unreasonable behavior unreasonably.

So what was the point of this thread again?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Catch

That is a good observation Ben Lahnger; however, it appears racism is already becoming a problem on the forums. Perhaps addressing it would bring people back into not hiding who they are because they are not sure if everyone is callous with an evil sense-of-humor with the zingers and the heartlessly poking at whatever anyone senses a weakness or it is a personal commentary. You know, something beyond a poor sense of empathy or even cultural standards of etiquette.

Mmm, yes I believe it is possible to talk about racism, but not the grander issues that tear everyone apart, more the regular stuff that happens in real life regarding people you know and really care about.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Grausamkeit

If I tell you I live you, will you shut up?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Awake Knights

I'm what some would call a racist, but that word gets thrown around a lot these days. When talking about something like that, it is important to define terms and how you're using them. Emphasis on clarity and maturity is the best way to keep conversations from spiraling into a retarded flame war. And then there are some that just simply aren't mature or intelligent enough to have that kind of conversation with.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I'm what some would call a racist, but that word gets thrown around a lot these days. When talking about something like that, it is important to define terms and how you're using them. Emphasis on clarity and maturity is the best way to keep conversations from spiraling into a retarded flame war. And then there are some that just simply aren't mature or intelligent enough to have that kind of conversation with.
Says the racist. You have just invalidated anything intelligent you could have said from here on out.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
Awake Knights

If you refuse to listen, then that is your choice. Just because someone holds a particular view on a matter does not mean they cannot state a legit or factual position in a conversation. That's where the reader (if they choose to read it) needs to use their critical thinking and reasoning skills and agree or disagree.

For example, just because, say, a creationist is completely ignorant to science doesn't mean they still are incapable of saying something that is either true or consistent with science and could possibly even be enlightening to some else in the conversation.

But...that's just from an invalidated raaacist (as labeled by someone who has not heard a single statement on the matter).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Kasdeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Says the racist. You have just invalidated anything intelligent you could have said from here on out.
You seem to have selective reading, Graus... Leave the poor kid alone. He's just giving his opinion, and I don't want to see this thread degenerate into a flamewar.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Alan

If you had read Knight's other posts you wouldn't be telling that to Graus.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #22
Grausamkeit

You two are some silly shits.

Person 1 says: I'm what some would call a racist, but that word gets thrown around a lot.

Typical words from someone who gets called out for their racism on a regular basis.

Person 2(worships Charles Manson, also a racist) says: All opinions are valid! Don't judge people based on opinions!

As you've been told before, all opinions are not equally valid. That's life. Deal with it. I don't put up with racist bullshit or racism apologists. Most of us here don't, actually. If you don't like it then don't respond to my posts. Go find some 'Nationalist' forum like Stormfront that will embrace your views.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Grausamkeit

Why does everyone leave the forum when I'm drunk and spoiling for a fight?

Assholes.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Ben Lahnger

1) Kasdeja, in spite of your exhortation to the contrary, this is precisely the kind of clap-trap thread that starts flame wars, usually because of the misguided intentions of the OP and their complete lack of understanding of their fellow forum members.

2) Catch, this (comment quoted below) demonstrates exactly that you did not, in fact, get my point at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
That is a good observation Ben Lahnger; however, it appears racism is already becoming a problem on the forums. Perhaps addressing it would bring people back into not hiding who they are because they are not sure if everyone is callous with an evil sense-of-humor with the zingers and the heartlessly poking at whatever anyone senses a weakness or it is a personal commentary. You know, something beyond a poor sense of empathy or even cultural standards of etiquette.

Mmm, yes I believe it is possible to talk about racism, but not the grander issues that tear everyone apart, more the regular stuff that happens in real life regarding people you know and really care about.
I'd like to chalk your response up to naivety and inexperience (as I've been around racists a bit longer than you have and unfortunately understand their ways and their irrationality a lot better than you do), but I actually think your lack of insight or wisdom in the matter are largely due to being blinded by your own good intentions ... with which you're paving the road to your own damnation.

... aw, fuck it.

3) On further reflection, I believe we could all do with some 'Black Man' Cookies!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
Awake Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
You two are some silly shits.

Person 1 says: I'm what some would call a racist, but that word gets thrown around a lot.

Typical words from someone who gets called out for their racism on a regular basis.

Person 2(worships Charles Manson, also a racist) says: All opinions are valid! Don't judge people based on opinions!

As you've been told before, all opinions are not equally valid. That's life. Deal with it. I don't put up with racist bullshit or racism apologists. Most of us here don't, actually. If you don't like it then don't respond to my posts. Go find some 'Nationalist' forum like Stormfront that will embrace your views.
Who said all opinions are equally valid? What i'm saying is you have not even HEARD any opinions here. You just started yelling hitler genocide bla bla bla. You're just crying RACIST! RACIST! and no one has even SAID anything yet. You're on a forum. A forum is a discussion site...where people hold DISCUSSIONS. If YOU don't like discussions because they hurt your feelings, you're free to turn off the computer and find something else to do.