Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
poisondawn

Greeting ^^

Hello, Im new here. Im here to put my opinions out on things, make new friends, and learn new things. Ive been Goth since 2nd grade, and Im turning 17 in two weeks ^^ I love making new friends and debating issues, and I like to learn as much about people as I possibly can. If you have a Facebook, you can add me there, as it will be easier to get ahold of me on there. I live in Schenectady, NY, and if you know the location, you know the Goth scene is extremely low here. Anyways, Nice to meet anyone who wants to meet me ^^ Oh, and my name is Dawn, but people just call me Poison.
poisondawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Versus

Hi. spookyposertext
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
poisondawn

I like your avatar. But to the person who said I havent been got hsince second grade, I think you'd be surprised, my brothers Goth and he raised me a majority of my life. So congratulations, you're wrong whoever you are.
poisondawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Timeless Rebellion

Welcome to the forums, I hope you have a great time here
Now, you don't actually need to defend whether or not you see yourself as a goth, because truly, who can tell you what you think or feel?
Now if we have to go into the technical definition, it has to do with the gothic rock music genre, but feel free to put whatever labels on yourself that you feel you need
Personally, I am a flying cheesegoat, and no one can come and tell me I'm not!
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondawn View Post
I like your avatar. But to the person who said I havent been got hsince second grade, I think you'd be surprised, my brothers Goth and he raised me a majority of my life. So congratulations, you're wrong whoever you are.
Thanks! I like my avatar, too. I change it every once in a while, but I keep coming back to it for some reason.

And I was the one who said you weren't goth since the second grade. I said it because that's a ridiculous thing to say. I edited my post to not include that because I realized I don't care enough about it to be rude.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Fathom

She's right, it IS ridiculous to say, because nobody just "goes" goth. Only posers. Goth is a personality you're born with, not a choice you eventually make. A lot of people around here would likely have a lot of issues with you saying that. Anyway, that's my two sense.

P.S. Introductions go in the "introductions" forum.
Fathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Timeless Rebellion

Fathom: Goth is not a personality. It's a subculture based around a music genre.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
She's right, it IS ridiculous to say, because nobody just "goes" goth. Only posers. Goth is a personality you're born with, not a choice you eventually make. A lot of people around here would likely have a lot of issues with you saying that. Anyway, that's my two sense.
From bad to worse to bile inducing grammar. That's grand.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
From bad to worse to bile inducing grammar. That's grand.
I second this.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Fathom: Goth is not a personality. It's a subculture based around a music genre.
Mr. Obvious frolocks in, states a technical fact which completely ignores the evolution of a word definition, and pats himself on the back as if an accomplishment had been made. You have my congratulations on being douchebag of the years, unless you truly believe that's the only perceived definition of the word "goth", in which case you'd be moron of the year, and would have to question your own reasons for being here.

@Alan: If you get your jollies by pointing out the extremely few grammatical errors someone makes, then I suggest you go sit in an elementary school classroom. Would probably be the best nut you ever accomplished.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Versus

You're kind of an asshole.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You're kind of an asshole.
I'm brutally honest, there's a difference, and if you're going to call me an asshole, yet completely ignore the previous posts in which mine responds to, then I'd refer to you as either an idiot, or a hypocrite.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Alan

You're not brutally honest. If you were brutally honest you wouldn't be whining merely about the third thing I said and you would take my criticism whole.
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Versus

Quote:
I'm brutally honest, there's a difference, and if you're going to call me an asshole, yet completely ignore the previous posts in which mine responds to, then I'd refer to you as either an idiot, or a hypocrite.
My bad. I can't read so good.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Fathom

Quote:
You're not brutally honest. If you were brutally honest you wouldn't be whining merely about the third thing I said and you would take my criticism whole.
"*herp* this is bile and stinks of grammatical imperfection *derp*"

Somehow I'm to see this as criticism? Now you're a comedian. I guess I can at least thank you for the laugh.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
Saya

You can always tell who's the young virgins who take themselves way too seriously.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Alan

You seem to think critique and criticism is the same thing. I'm not here to improve your arguments, I'm just here to mock you, and you could only lash out at the third point.
That's not brutal honesty, that's selective bitching.
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You can always tell who's the young virgins who take themselves way too seriously.
Uncalled for. He's entitled to his own opinion.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
Alan

Is he? Is he really?
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Saya

Quote:
You seem to think critique and criticism is the same thing. I'm not here to improve your arguments, I'm just here to mock you, and you could only lash out at the third point.
Alan why can't you just defer to his authority as a born Goth?!! You don't understand!!! I bet you're a prep IRL OMG.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
Fathom

Quote:
Whose post stinks of grammatical imperfection now? Oh, and if there were a single valid point made by your "criticism" which I gave a shit about, perhaps I wouldn't be referring to you as a useless tool used to sodomize the moods of everyone around you. There is nothing respectable about being a Grammar Nazi unless sum1 wuz talkin lyk dis, and as far as you referring to what I said as "bile", other than the grammatical errors, I have no idea what you could have been referring to, as my post consisted of nothing but truths.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Alan

Well, now that you mention it I don't hide my face behind my flat gelled hair while looking with an ennui gaze to somewhere else than the camera, so maybe I don't fit the evolved personality of goth after all!
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Alan why can't you just defer to his authority as a born Goth?!! You don't understand!!! I bet you're a prep IRL OMG.
So you believe that the core essence of the "goth" personality is something which can be switched on and off? Do tell. I am always up for listening to interpretation.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
Alan

Quote:
Whose post stinks of grammatical imperfection now?
Saying "*blank* and *blank* ARE" is grammatically correct. It's called plural, and you learn it in the first grade. You didn't correct anything by saying "*blank* and *blank* IS", you actually just made an error on a perfectly fine sentence.

And I'm not a grammar nazi. Saying 'two sense' instead of the cliché phrase 'two cents' would grind the teeth of most people. It isn't a trivial error.
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Saya

Quote:
So you believe that the core essence of the "goth" personality is something which can be switched on and off? Do tell. I am always up for listening to interpretation.
Dude, I'm on your side. I had no clue I liked black clothes and Siouxsie Sioux until I went to the doctor because I was feeling blue and had the incontrollable urge to grow my bangs and take sad pictures. He gave me a blood test and said "You're Goth Positive," and, well, I've been here ever since. Just living one day at a time, man.