Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
Humbled

Humbled's Intro..

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I listen to music, write, read, learn about computers...

2. Where are you from?

Denver, Colorado

3. Who is your favorite author?

I can not honestly answer that question. I enjoy reading many authors, but i do not have an all time favorite.

4. What are your favorite films?

I do not watch many films... Any suggestions?

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

I dont know.

6. At your funeral?

Anything they want...

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Painless

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Dark Cherry wood and Purple silk....

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Depends on my mood, but like most i have a favorite pair of jeans.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

I cant say i miss anything from my childhood... besides my doll...

11. What's your favorite band?

I dont really have an all out favorite...

some Escape the Fate, 9 inch Nails, Bless the Fall, Dead can Dance, some Cure, Korn, Pantera, Pink Floyd, All about Eve, ect

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I want to major in philosophy and psychology

13. Why did you join?

I wanted to talk to some intelligent people who may or may not share some of my personal veiws...

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Female
Humbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
maggot

I'm confused. I don't know what to make of you.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I read Mag's post before the original and yeah...

I have no idea...
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Black Inferno

Well,Um...Anyway,welcome to Gnet,Humbled...Though,the intro,I find it a little...Um....Confusing....Philosophy and psychology?I can link a bit in Aristotle.Which philosopher you find you can link to Humbled?

I think we can get along just fine~
Black Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Lady Christine

What kind of films do you like that you've seen genre wise? I'm not an expert but I tend to be a bit of a movie junkie so I might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Humbled appears to be one who is blown about by the wind. A follower.

Welcome Humbled. You have potential in your Dead Can Dance and Cure reference. Have you ever been to a concert? That will usually trigger fandom.
And as for movies, watch Stigmata. With a close friend you can hug.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Humbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Inferno View Post
Well,Um...Anyway,welcome to Gnet,Humbled...Though,the intro,I find it a little...Um....Confusing....Philosophy and psychology?I can link a bit in Aristotle.Which philosopher you find you can link to Humbled?

I think we can get along just fine~
Well, Epicurus...

Getting along with people is always a good thing.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Humbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Humbled appears to be one who is blown about by the wind. A follower.

Welcome Humbled. You have potential in your Dead Can Dance and Cure reference. Have you ever been to a concert? That will usually trigger fandom.
And as for movies, watch Stigmata. With a close friend you can hug.
I have not been to their concert, I don't really go to many concerts.

As for the movie, i appricate your suggestion and will be sure to look it up. Everything deserves atleast one chance.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Humbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
What kind of films do you like that you've seen genre wise? I'm not an expert but I tend to be a bit of a movie junkie so I might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Well, i like movies with a lot of suspense and/or a twisted plot.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Sir Canvas Corpsey

You can quote multiple bits of text in one post y'know
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Humbled

Nope i didnt know that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbled View Post
Well, i like movies with a lot of suspense and/or a twisted plot.
As Cliche as it would be to post it, Gothika is pretty... bloody? I remember loving to watch that when it first came out. Hard Candy is alright, it has a good premise but could be executed better, but if you want to see a kid seriously beat the shit out of a pervert, great movie. Untraceable is fantastic in theory, there are a lot of holes but good for a thrill. Memento is AMAZING. The Uninvited is a bit on the kiddy end of the pool, but I got a jump out of that, it's the USA version btw, the Japanese version is BAD. Mr. Brooks is good, so is The Cell, but The Cell is a lot more fluffy then most of the other titles here but still has its fucked up moments. Cold Creek Manor is another one I'd say to check out. I know most of these titles are newer and not really 'gothy' but they're good in their own way. If you have seen any of these, tell me and I'll spit out a few more like it.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Humbled

I have seen The Uninvited, Gothika, and Cold Creek Manor.

A kid beating the shit out of a pervert? That sounds like it would be very entertaining.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
Needlefeet

Yeah it is a good movie. I watched it about two weeks ago or so.
Dude, Gothika isn't really that bloody... There's a fair whack of blood in the flashback but that's really it... Her wrist doesn't bleed a hell of a lot. I thought it was a kind of average movie...
But yes, Hard Candy was good.
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
blackkitten105

Hi i know you said not to do this but i did.
blackkitten105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
CountVonCount

Candyman is fantastic, I still have to remind myself not to wince at the name in front of the mirror when brushing my teeth at night. If only good movies were common these days I'd love to see a new Candyman film, or another psychological horror film set in a ghetto. A lot of potential that hasn't been struck yet.
Hard Candy was amazing visually and pretty great the first couple times around. I remember seeing it shortly after it's release with a Q&A with the director, but I can't say I remember anything he said.

Silent Hill is a good now and then movie, you might like how they switch back and forth with the real world, the limbo that is Silent Hill and Silent Hill when it's plunged into darkness with that terrifying air horn.
Sleepy Hollow is a must if you haven't yet seen it. Colleen Atwood, need I say more?
If you like general all around fucked up movies check out Spun, Bully and Gummo. Spun is a fun movie about meth heads, not scary or goth but still has a sense of human deprivation. Bully's a dark look at what real kids get into when there's nothing else to do i.e. hard crime...based on a true story. And Gummo is a fake documentary about an Ohio town after a Tornado. It shows real scenarios of down and out living, people just trying to make it through.

Welcome
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
JCC

Don't watch any of the shitty films mentioned in this thread. Except maybe 'Gummo' and 'Bully', and they're not great.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
Humbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Don't watch any of the shitty films mentioned in this thread. Except maybe 'Gummo' and 'Bully', and they're not great.

You irk me. For one you are telling me what to do when you really have no control over my actions. You also had to use a mundane word to describe the films when you could have just explained what was wrong with them. And then you tell me the only okay ones, by your standards, were 'Gummo' and 'Bully' and you didn't even explain why. And then you say they are not great.

If we are going to get along, which id like, i simply request explaining yourself and your opinions more so than what you do. I think it would save you a lot of trouble for one you must have reasons to think the way you do.

To me you have an attitude that just makes people really dislike you. I say that because, normally, no one really irks me at all, at least not right away. No I'm not boasting about how im so accepting or what ever you could pin on me with that statement. So, do not accuse me of it. It's just the simple truth. But, for some reason that statement really ticked me off. Maybe it was they way you said it and how you didn't explain yourself. Or maybe it was they way it sounded arrogant, like you knew it all and i should bow down before your might.

If you tried maybe you could sound some one like a competent person instead of a fool trying to act 'bad ass' or something to that affect. Until then, this comment has no meaning to me at all.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #19
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbled View Post
You irk me. For one you are telling me what to do when you really have no control over my actions. You also had to use a mundane word to describe the films when you could have just explained what was wrong with them. And then you tell me the only okay ones, by your standards, were 'Gummo' and 'Bully' and you didn't even explain why. And then you say they are not great.

If we are going to get along, which id like, i simply request explaining yourself and your opinions more so than what you do. I think it would save you a lot of trouble for one you must have reasons to think the way you do.

To me you have an attitude that just makes people really dislike you. I say that because, normally, no one really irks me at all, at least not right away. No I'm not boasting about how im so accepting or what ever you could pin on me with that statement. So, do not accuse me of it. It's just the simple truth. But, for some reason that statement really ticked me off. Maybe it was they way you said it and how you didn't explain yourself. Or maybe it was they way it sounded arrogant, like you knew it all and i should bow down before your might.

If you tried maybe you could sound some one like a competent person instead of a fool trying to act 'bad ass' or something to that affect. Until then, this comment has no meaning to me at all.
Things you will need to learn around here.

JCC is an arrogant prick. He is also smarter than about 90% of these boards, if not more. When needed, he's amazingly eloquent, he put's Encyclopedia Britannica to shame, and he's 14.

He's one of the most arrogant people on here, and he's one of the few who warrant it.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbled
You irk me. For one you are telling me what to do when you really have no control over my actions.
I don't get it, how do you want me to preface my suggestions so that they're more agreeable to you? It would be a bad idea to watch those films, as they all suck, therefore, don't watch them.

Quote:
You also had to use a mundane word to describe the films when you could have just explained what was wrong with them.
Nonsense, 'shitty' isn't a mundane word, it's an excellent word. Think about how many negative possibilities have been packed into those six letters. I don't think that I could've chosen a more exciting or intriguing word, you're aware that the films are bad but you don't know why, therefore if you do watch them, each revelatory moment of shittiness that makes you perk up your ears and ask "What the fuck was that?", every layer of shitty wrapping paper you tear from the gift box of failure, will be a surprise.

Quote:
And then you tell me the only okay ones, by your standards, were 'Gummo' and 'Bully' and you didn't even explain why.
Alright. 'Gummo' is written by a guy called Harmony Korine, Harmony Korine is a screenwriter that is convinced that he's a cool edgy teenager despite approaching middle age, and his screenplays reflect that, they're often very flawed but they're playful and interesting despite his predisposition to invite the odd moment of shock and revulsion from his audience and other things that you'd expect of an overgrown teenager making 'controversial' films. 'Bully' is made by Larry Clark, who is like Harmony Korine in his revelry of causing offence and of dropping tits into the equation wherever possible, and it's an interesting look at a real story of a group of friends that murder this asshole that bullies them all. Neither of these films will blow you away, and you won't write home about them or insist that your friends watch them, and to be honest, I'm not going to recommend that you do watch those films, but you won't feel like you just shat hours of your life away like you would with such awful fucking movies as 'Gothika', 'the Uninvited', 'Candyman', 'Silent Hill', 'the Cell' and other depressing attempts at scary films.

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't need to explain my opinions, despite the logical foundations for my opinions being flawless. Trust my judgment, I'm always right.

Quote:
To me you have an attitude that just makes people really dislike you. I say that because, normally, no one really irks me at all, at least not right away. No I'm not boasting about how im so accepting or what ever you could pin on me with that statement. So, do not accuse me of it.
For someone so apparently level-headed, it only took you two sentences before you issued a paranoiac warning not to accuse you of something that hadn't crossed my mind.

Quote:
But, for some reason that statement really ticked me off. Maybe it was they way you said it and how you didn't explain yourself. Or maybe it was they way it sounded arrogant, like you knew it all and i should bow down before your might.
Those films ARE shitty, why waste time going into it? I fear that this is probably a lost cause anyway, since you've seen 'Gothika' and 'the Uninvited' and didn't join me in an enthusiastic recapitulation of their worthlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
and he's 14.
I'm fifteen. I have been since February. It scares me that time is going by so quickly, I should've already won an Academy Award for Best Director or something.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
Humbled

Smart at 15? For some reason that does not surprise me in the least. I guess, since he is that intelligent it does deserve merit, but i never would have guessed at it myself.

Quote:

Nonsense, 'shitty' isn't a mundane word, it's an excellent word. Think about how many negative possibilities have been packed into those six letters. I don't think that I could've chosen a more exciting or intriguing word, you're aware that the films are bad but you don't know why, therefore if you do watch them, each revelatory moment of shittiness that makes you perk up your ears and ask "What the fuck was that?", every layer of shitty wrapping paper you tear from the gift box of failure, will be a surprise.
To me, it is a mundane word because of personal experiences that have blackened and soiled the 'excellent word' for me.

You know that is oddly cruel? Better stop now, before i like you. But as i said, you had your reasons.

Quote:

Alright. 'Gummo' is written by a guy called Harmony Korine, Harmony Korine is a screenwriter that is convinced that he's a cool edgy teenager despite approaching middle age, and his screenplays reflect that, they're often very flawed but they're playful and interesting despite his predisposition to invite the odd moment of shock and revulsion from his audience and other things that you'd expect of an overgrown teenager making 'controversial' films. 'Bully' is made by Larry Clark, who is like Harmony Korine in his revelry of causing offence and of dropping tits into the equation wherever possible, and it's an interesting look at a real story of a group of friends that murder this asshole that bullies them all. Neither of these films will blow you away, and you won't write home about them or insist that your friends watch them, and to be honest, I'm not going to recommend that you do watch those films, but you won't feel like you just shat hours of your life away like you would with such awful fucking movies as 'Gothika', 'the Uninvited', 'Candyman', 'Silent Hill', 'the Cell' and other depressing attempts at scary films.
In my defense i have just recently seen Hotel for Dogs at thanks giving. Would you rather i proudly state i got dragged to see it with my 2 cousins, and my stepfather? Or how about some other horrible movie like that. To me thoes were the best i could think of. Which i agree they are not scary but a hell of a lot better than some of the things i have seen as of late. As for a matter of fact, i did feel let down after each one. The only one i can argue with is Candyman. It was a half heated attempt but still gave a laugh for it scared my brother half out of his mind. I got the bathroom that we share to myself for a couple of weeks while he used the one upstairs. So that one holds personal merit for me.

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't need to explain my opinions, despite the logical foundations for my opinions being flawless. Trust my judgment, I'm always right.
I have found that the people who i thought were flawless actually were marred and there for did damage. So lets say they damaged an already damaged thing. That makes the damaged thing almost worthless, so there it sits on the self being bested by the god forsaken look- a- likes and never bought. So, maybe if i trusted you and thought you were always right. One day you would tell me to jump off a bridge and i could fly, i would do it and then maybe, just maybe id live but not without scars to show that trusting you is a bad idea. So, i will hold my trust issue aside and decide later if i think you are always right. Its possible.

Quote:
For someone so apparently level-headed, it only took you two sentences before you issued a paranoiac warning not to accuse you of something that hadn't crossed my mind.
*shrugs* If it hadn't crossed your mind, than i salute you.
Im level headed??? Wow, i never seen that one coming. Meet some of the people i know they would disagree with you whole heartedly. Calling me, boring, dull, no fun, and *this one makes me smile* negative.

[quote=JCC;549132]Those films ARE shitty, why waste time going into it? I fear that this is probably a lost cause anyway, since you've seen 'Gothika' and 'the Uninvited' and didn't join me in an enthusiastic recapitulation of their worthlessness.[quote]

Again, Would you rather me proudly state i watched hotel for dogs? They are much better than that movie, if i say so my self. No matter how worthless ANYTHING is better than that and barny along with the WIGGLES. And other shows of that effect. If you would like we can discuss about how they MUST be taking that 1) act so happy and 2) Go wild for entertain children. They have to be taking something or another.
Hotel for Dogs was probably more torturing than any cheesy scary movie you could throw at me. Do people get a kick out of cheesy films like that? Its pain ful to watch.

My take on HFD: I mean a dog, that last of your old life. You fight for it. So predictable. *tears up* oh my the doggie is gone. Where is he. Oh no at the pound how oh how will we get him out??? lets pay the man off. -scene change- DONT LEAVE ME *they hug and refuse to let go till they are almost pulled apart. Id take gothica over that anyday. Wouldn't you? Unless you like that kind of thing then all respects, you may come over and browse through my mothers collection.Its extensive i warn you.

Quote:
I'm fifteen. I have been since February. It scares me that time is going by so quickly, I should've already won an Academy Award for Best Director or something.
*looks questionable* Mind telling me why you say that?

To me time is slow. Id rather be at mid pace, but that, i guess, is summer break.