Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
EVE Online

Well just this month thanks to the new computer I have gotten back into a game known as EVE online. It's a great Sci-fi Themed game based in a distant future where colonists from Earth who were expanding into a new galaxy using a massive warp gate were cut off when the gate collapsed. Without help from Earth the colonized planets were forced to slowly build their way back into the heavens once again creating four distinct races of humans.

-The Amarr Empire an imperialistic race that still follows the Catholic church but keeps slaves.

-The Minmatar Republic, former slaves of the Amarr they rebelled and have been fighting against them ever since.

-The Gallente Federation, with ancestors tracing back to France these people indulge themselves in every way possible from orgies, to drugs and other substances the other races consider Illegal.

-The Caldari State, a race of business it is ruled by 8 Major corperations. They are however without a homeworld as the Gallente Feder invaded Caldari prime. If it were not for the brave efforts of the Corperations and one brave Admiral working together the innocent Caldari on the planet would be stuck under Gallente oppression

Currently EVE online is in it's 5th year and still going stronger than ever with many features that make this MMO stand above the others.
-Over 250,000 players(based off of active accounts) play on ONE Server system- no dividing the community up, no worrying about friends on other servers.
-About 500 players can fight at the same time.
-You gain and lvl new skills over time(even when you're offline) not through grinding.
-You can exchange time codes (codes which when bough pay for time in the game) for ingame currency, and ingame currency for time codes(when you earn enough money you can play the game for free). Oh and yes this system is fully supported by the developers(however any ingame currency purchase system other than the one in game is against the rules).
-Almost everything in the game economy is dependant on player input, and because of that EVE Online is the only MMO to have an ecomonomist on the development team and features an Open economy.

-Players vote 9 players to a council that deals with player ideas for game improvements.
This council serves for 6 months and is allowed to submit three requests to the developers. Many of their submitted ideas that are do able have been put into play already, with more in development.
Each request is responded to with two emails, and a most expense paid trip for all the council members to iceland to meet the developers in person.

The game also has a huge amount of media and backstory (over 159 short stories).
Backstory: http://www.eve-online.com/background/potw/archive.asp
Here are a few of their manificent trailers for their expansions

Oh and yes this game is run by CCP the company that acquired White Wolf studios and along side EVE online is developing a Vampire the Masquerade MMO.

The game program is completely free for download with expansions included(free as well).

Now anyone can get a free 14 day trial but since I'm a member if you want I can email you a free 21 day trial through their buddy program so simply ask me either in here or through a pm. If I don't know your email pm me it or post it here (at your own risk).

Oh and I'm not the only gnet member who plays EVE Online.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Renatus

I just realized I forgot to provide links for several of their noteworthy trailers.
In semi-Chronological order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJvv8OFwDKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-sQ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY1y...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKviRpvGXBs

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
The Brooding One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Well just this month thanks to the new computer I have gotten back into a game known as EVE online. It's a great Sci-fi Themed game based in a distant future where colonists from Earth who were expanding into a new galaxy using a massive warp gate were cut off when the gate collapsed. Without help from Earth the colonized planets were forced to slowly build their way back into the heavens once again creating four distinct races of humans.

-The Amarr Empire an imperialistic race that still follows the Catholic church but keeps slaves.

-The Minmatar Republic, former slaves of the Amarr they rebelled and have been fighting against them ever since.

-The Gallente Federation, with ancestors tracing back to France these people indulge themselves in every way possible from orgies, to drugs and other substances the other races consider Illegal.

-The Caldari State, a race of business it is ruled by 8 Major corperations. They are however without a homeworld as the Gallente Feder invaded Caldari prime. If it were not for the brave efforts of the Corperations and one brave Admiral working together the innocent Caldari on the planet would be stuck under Gallente oppression

Currently EVE online is in it's 5th year and still going stronger than ever with many features that make this MMO stand above the others.
-Over 250,000 players(based off of active accounts) play on ONE Server system- no dividing the community up, no worrying about friends on other servers.
-About 500 players can fight at the same time.
-You gain and lvl new skills over time(even when you're offline) not through grinding.
-You can exchange time codes (codes which when bough pay for time in the game) for ingame currency, and ingame currency for time codes(when you earn enough money you can play the game for free). Oh and yes this system is fully supported by the developers(however any ingame currency purchase system other than the one in game is against the rules).
-Almost everything in the game economy is dependant on player input, and because of that EVE Online is the only MMO to have an ecomonomist on the development team and features an Open economy.

-Players vote 9 players to a council that deals with player ideas for game improvements.
This council serves for 6 months and is allowed to submit three requests to the developers. Many of their submitted ideas that are do able have been put into play already, with more in development.
Each request is responded to with two emails, and a most expense paid trip for all the council members to iceland to meet the developers in person.

The game also has a huge amount of media and backstory (over 159 short stories).
Backstory: http://www.eve-online.com/background/potw/archive.asp
Here are a few of their manificent trailers for their expansions

Oh and yes this game is run by CCP the company that acquired White Wolf studios and along side EVE online is developing a Vampire the Masquerade MMO.

The game program is completely free for download with expansions included(free as well).

Now anyone can get a free 14 day trial but since I'm a member if you want I can email you a free 21 day trial through their buddy program so simply ask me either in here or through a pm. If I don't know your email pm me it or post it here (at your own risk).

Oh and I'm not the only gnet member who plays EVE Online.

Too long, didn't give a shit.
The Brooding One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brooding One
Too long, didn't give a shit.
Given your previous posts this hardly suprises me.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Sanguine Mind

I've heard of that game, But mosty about how gold farmers ruined the in-game economy.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
I've heard of that game, But mosty about how gold farmers ruined the in-game economy.
Gold farming has very little effect on the economy anymore due to an update that was put into effect earlier this year.

You see what they did was make it so the non player character vendors only buy very specific items, the only way to get those specific items is through buying them from a non player character.

The only efficient way to earn money is to sell items to other players, because of that no extra money enters the economy from gold farming, thus balencing the economy out.

If the economy got extremely out of balence I'm sure CCP's economist would intervene.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
The Brooding One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Given your previous posts this hardly suprises me.
I'm so wounded.

Really.
The Brooding One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
ZyklonB

I play eve with Renatus =D Really the only thing that keeps players away from EVE is the steep learning curve. I know there's a few people here that probably wouldn't pass that... but that's the good thing about it, it keeps most of the 12 year old WoW rif raff out =p

The economy is almost completely player driven. ISK sellsers hardly have any impact if at all.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Renatus

I forgot to note the game has a built in voice chat

Also it should be noted that comming in march we are expecting the biggest expansion ever in the 5 years of EVE online. Some of the discussed additions include

*Massive planetary rings for mining
*the ability to get out of your ship and explore a station you're on. to have
*your own quarters
*your own corperate offices
*even your own bars with things like minigames, and exotic dancers (well maybe not in an Amarran station, the Catholic church after all those hundreds of years still hasn't changed their stance on that).
* but most importantly you can finaly see......YOURSELF!!! and if you use the ingame voice client the character will actualy sync it's lip movements with yours.

*They also have plans to make it easier for players to run multiple accounts at the same time
*they are working on an instant messaging system that allows you to talk with people in the game even when you're outside of it.

*They are currently looking into the idea of a tv show based on the game. If you don't think it's possible here's a very nice fanmade one on youtube that uses half-life 2 for inside the ships and stations(oh and they're already working on the second episode of it).

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbrJSb5X0-A
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8cm...eature=related
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TBQH...eature=related
3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh9L...eature=related
4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZE8z...eature=related