Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Thre3cutS

A&E

I was up late last night watching E&A, and some story about a goth kid going to school and killing some people. His parents went on talking about gothic persons being weird, depressing, blah blah.
Come to find out he listened heavily to Marilyn Manson. Not the Bauhaus, not Sisters of Mercy, not Siouxsie & the Banshees! It really pissed me off, because Marilyn Manson isn't goth, he's just weird, frankly.
Thre3cutS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Aude Sapere

Marilyn Manson is....like, glam rock...something. I used to be into his music for a while, but i was still the same generally happy, open minded individual that i am and always was. Music doesn' change your personslity, and if it does, then you are to soft of a person who is about as impressionable as a 2 year old. I hate it when people make assumptions on an entire culture, or sub-culture because one stupid person does something. That kid went all columbine because he was either 1: teased and riduculed to no end, or 2: had a terrible childhood, and was teased and riduculed to no end. I bet it had almost nothing to do with what he listened to. In fact, he probably thought of music as therapy, as do a lot of other people.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
LostAndCrazy

If anything, music is a positive influence on me and always has been.
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Pyre

Actually, Manson is industrial rock, often termed "shock rock" because of the way he presents himself. But, of course, society only sees him and his obscenities and his makeup and assume him to be gothic. That is still no reason to use a label as a cause of the person's distress and actions. When some hillbilly kills some classmates, do we hear about it being because he listened to country and wore camo a lot? Nope. We only hear these things when some "freak" makes a mistake. It's pathetic, really. And they say media isn't subjective. Pfft.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Slap Your Love

Shock Rock.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Shock Rock.
You looked to Wikipedia, your best [[failure]] friend, and it said industrial-rock. No matter how hard you try, it won't change ::gives you a pat on the back::

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Wikipedia can be useful, but must not be trusted completely. Any ignorant fool with a keyboard can post on there. Sometimes they use big, confusing words because they either want to sound smart, or don't understand what they're talking about and want to sound like they do.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
Mick Ignis

None of the kids who go on these shootings are goth. They're mostly metalheads, but news stations have never heard that phrase apparently. Their favorite bands include Nirvana, Pantera, Metallica, and Marilyn Manson.

I'm not saying Marilyn Manson isn't goth. I think there is way more to goth than music, and Manson definitely fits into the visual side of things in my opinion. However, wearing black and listening to his music does not make you goth.

I've always thought of goth culture as non-violent, romanticizing death rather than glorifying it. Football fans are more likely to start killing people than we
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Ignis
I've always thought of goth culture as non-violent, romanticizing death rather than glorifying it. Football fans are more likely to start killing people than we
I couldn't have said it better myself. =]
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
Wikipedia can be useful, but must not be trusted completely. Any ignorant fool with a keyboard can post on there. Sometimes they use big, confusing words because they either want to sound smart, or don't understand what they're talking about and want to sound like they do.
Yes, but Slap Your Love looked to Wikipedia for answers, as I called Manson industrial rock, and 'lo and behold! That is exactly what he found there, but refuses to accept it

There are many different forms of industrial, and simply because one has great distaste for a band or an artist does not disqualify the group as being not of a particular genre.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Slap Your Love

Shock Rock! [Rofl.. I shall not quit. I will not accept this Blasphemous label!]
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Lurcita

actually those killers did not like marilyn manson.
Lurcita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
MollyMac

Hardly matters what music you like. To paraphrase Ozzy Osbourne and Henry Rollins and numerous others- Liking a certain type of music doesn't make you an asshole killer. Being an asshole killer makes you an asshole killer, and that was in them to begin with. You cannot trigger what is not there.

Hell, in my line, I am more worried about 'roid rage and someone getting all testosterone nuts on someone than a kid who likes Danzig a little much.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Crying_Crimson_Tears

HE WASN'T GOTH!!!! Just fucked up.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
An Eccentric Cellist

WE KNOW HE WASN'T! To imitate you, CCT.
lol this reminds me, the other day a girl asked me if I was emo. rofl, it was so funny, my boots alone were a give away of my non-emoness.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #16
darkness-creepshow

That doesnt stop somebody that is the coolest person ever that just so happendly wheres heavy makup and dresses in all black to go out and start killing people. If your gothic you can kill someone or go on some rampage, or a hillbilly or someone in the south or somthing.And any of us could be fucked up to begin with whereing black all the time.
darkness-creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #18
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness-creepshow
That doesnt stop somebody that is the coolest person ever that just so happendly wheres heavy makup and dresses in all black to go out and start killing people. If your gothic you can kill someone or go on some rampage, or a hillbilly or someone in the south or somthing.And any of us could be fucked up to begin with whereing black all the time.
Not a flame (yet), just an edification:

Where: to what location/position, etc.

Wear: to bear on the person, as in clothing/makeup/etc.

The correct form is one fewer letter to type. This should be easy for you.

I choose not to pick at the other travesties of grammar and spelling that you have committed...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #19
darkness-creepshow

Well at least i wont go to jail for these travesties. I'm very dyslexic also so if you want a chance in understanding what i just said you need to learn horruble grammer and sentences that don't go well together i suppose, good luck.
darkness-creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #20
Delicate_Torture

The irony amuses.

Those of you who are sitting here making the assumption that this person wasn't goth because they listened to Marilyn Manson are as bad as the media who are making the assumption that he was goth because he listened to Marilyn Manson.

Who cares what he listened to? The fact is that he was truly troubled and ended up killing human beings. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether he was goth, emo, geek, normal, jock, prep or any number of other sub-cultures that one could belong to.

The media will keep pointing fingers at our lifestyle no matter what we do. So why bother pointing fingers at ourselves and being divisive amongst our own culture?

Stop being argumentative and pathetic.

I listen to Marilyn Manson and I am goth.
I also listen to John Denver.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness-creepshow
I'm very dyslexic also
I remember that, but I didn't get the point of the post. I though you said that we're deranged for using black.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
An Eccentric Cellist

Quote:
I'm very dyslexic...
How can one be very dyslexic? Dyslexia is when the numbers and letters in a text are backwards, upside-down ect. But what you show is poor grammar and spelling. Bad spelling is fine but bad grammar is not, but if you know how to type than you should be able to spell well.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #23
BlackButterfly

One of my sisters is dyslexic, and malapropic to boot (which is a really bad combo), but she can still spell and use proper grammar with only the occasional writing/typing error. It just takes more thought for her. It's not impossible for a dyslexic person to do that.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote