Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
dre bin laden

saaaaalutations

greetings, all. my name is dre (DRAY). i am from greece and new york but i now live in boston where i am a student. i've just stumbled upon your board and it seems quite interesting, so here's some general stuff about me....

i love science: chem, biochem, astronomy, psych, etc.

i try to read as much as i can: mary shelley's frankenstein is the greatest masterpiece i have ever stumbled upon, i also love some other classics (scarlet letter, huck finn, catcher in the rye, the bell jar, 1984, etc.)...right now i am reading middlesex by jeffrey eugenides.

i am a recovering drug addict, which means i stay away from all my friends and sit in my living room all day watching educational television.

since i've gotten sober i've picked up some of the old stuff i loved doing: writing poetry, sketching, yoga, getting up in the morning...

i don't really think i am male or female. i hate gender roles, so i disregard them. for example, my closest friends are guys, i can drink a 30 rack (i do still drink on occasion), and i announce it if i need to s h i t (can we curse here?), but i also love to sew, bake, and watch sex and the city.

i am probably the greekest person you will ever meet.

don't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you guys, but im not really the biggest movie fan. however, it's just because i haven't really been exposed to too many, i do love watching a good movie. basically the movie i swear by is cannibal holocaust and sometimes i turn on FEARnet.

i think that covers most of it. hope to have some great discussions with you guys in the near future :o)

ps im really opinionated and will express my opinion on most issues but i respect everyone's right to their own point of view and sometimes if i get really passionate about philosophy or morals or whatnot it may seem like im attacking you but im just greek and that's how we talk.
dre bin laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre bin laden
More than Ovid?
Oh wait, Ovid is Roman.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Solumina

Hahaha that cracked me up.

Anyway welcome to the boards. Why did you pick the user name that you did?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Eh doubtful, we've had a Greek member straight from Greece here before. Then there are all the other greek(all direct from Greece) people I've met; one of my former therapists, Nikko of Nikko's Gyros here in the city I live in; then there all the people directly from Greece or of greek descent that help out at this one Orthedox church's(designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) Greek festival near where I am. Heh I never paid attention to how many Greek people I've met untill now. Welcome

Side note: has anyone ever had a time when for some reason nomatter how hard you look at a word even though you know it's spelt right it just feels like it's spelt wrong? I'm going through that right now with "Greek".

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
††BlackRose††

Welcome to the boards!
The Catcher in the Rye was pretty interesting. I liked it. Have you read Faust by Goethe? I actually really liked that too.

And I second the question about your username. lol.

Well enjoy your stay!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
LetheanBlacklight

welcome, i think, and i 3rd said question
LetheanBlacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
i can drink a 30 rack (i do still drink on occasion), and i announce it if i need to s h i t
That's not being masculine, that's being drunk and crude.
Don't bring all males down by claiming they all engage in your shameful behavior.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

But we do! forreal

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
That's not being masculine, that's being drunk and crude.
Don't bring all males down by claiming they all engage in your shameful behavior.
Do you have an OFF button by chance?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
Do you have an OFF button by chance?
I do actually.
Do you know how to use a forum?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Do I know how to use a forum?
....Yes [/sarcasm]
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
But we do! forreal
well..... some of us...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
....Yes [/sarcasm]
What does that even mean?

Um, yeah, I know how to use a forum.
You apparently don't, because there's some confusion about the features.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
dre bin laden

okay. this is a lot to reply to. i've got time so ill take it from the top...

Quote:
Why did you pick the user name that you did?
well i don't mean to offend anyone but the name does indeed allude to the terrorist. when all that stuff with terrorist attacks was happening a few years ago, i witnessed so much hatred towards people who even looked middle eastern. it might be hard for you guys to remember now, but many (not all) americans misinterpreted the daily news and stayed away from anyone who seemed middle eastern. i am greek and have dark features (hair, skin, etc.), and experienced a lot of the discrimination that was going on back then because of the fear instilled in the people of this country. when people would rudely ask me if i was afghani or from iraq, instead of getting angry and having to explain (it gets really tiring after a while) i would make it a game, slap on my best accent and respond that i am "princess dre bin laden of tikrit, and i am heiress to the al qaeda empire". soon my friends all would play along, and it just stuck. i didn't mean to offend anyone by this, and i am not condoning at all the tragic events that took place on 9/11. it was simply a social experiment, and a huge success at that. you wouldn't believe how many idiots would sit there with their mouth gaping asking me if i really was osama's daughter, and how many more would get the hell away from me as fast as they could. just like i wanted.

hah and to everyone challenging my greekness, im positive there are greeker people than me, don't worry. sometimes i just like to exaggerate for the sake of emphasis, and i tend to be a little histrionic. how's this.... i am VERY greek.

now in terms of this gender controversy, everyone can rest i think this was just a miscommunication. first i'd like to restate, i hate gender roles. i don't understand them because it doesn't make sense to me that someone should tend to participate in a certain activity simply because of their sex organs. underwater ophelia raises an excellent point because all men in fact do not drink 30 racks. however, this is also where the misunderstanding occurred. i recall listing activities that please me, but i do not recall ever attaching a label corresponding with gender stereotypes to any of the activities. therefore, anyone associating a listed activity with a specific gender is basing their assumption on the conventions of society. i did indeed imply that the list would include conventional roles, but in my eyes the roles can apply to anyone. for instance, a woman should be able to announce her bowel movements just as much as a man should be able to bake. the only reason we associate one activity with a certain gender is because of the conventional norm that the public has accepted, and this is the exact phenomena i am protesting. so no, all men do not and should not drink beer, and all women do not and should not bake cakes, and saying so is an unfair generalization, which leads to my point: i enjoy doing both of those things, and you may enjoy doing neither. that doesn't make us male or female, it makes us human beings with personal preferences.

on that note, thanks for the warm welcomes!
dre bin laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Lool, allude.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

I've gotta say, I like you, but you kinda ruined your experiment by saying "heiress to the Al Qaeda empire."

If you had just said "Dre Bin Laden of Tikrit" it would have been a nice experiment, people prejudging and whatnot. But Al Qaeda is an actual guerilla organization. Saying you're the heiress of it, if we ignore that's not how the organization works, does justify linking you with "terrorism"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: