Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Random Havoc

Pope deplores...

Article

Quote:
VATICAN CITY: Pope Benedict XVI on Monday again condemned Roman Catholics who have violated children’s rights, a week before a meeting with Irish bishops over a sex abuse scandal.

“The Church, over the centuries... has promoted the protection of the rights and dignity of minors,” the pope said on the 20’th anniversary of the International Convention on the Rights of the Child. Repeated revelations of paedophile priests have rocked the Roman Catholic Church in recent months.

In November, it emerged that Church authorities in Ireland covered up for priests who abused children in the mainly Catholic country for three decades. Last month, an elite Jesuit school in Berlin admitted systematic sexual abuse of teenagers by at least two priests in the 1970s and 1980s.
No promises to do anything about it, not going to help out or anything.
Random Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Alan

He effectively sent them to hell after they die in their belief. What else could you ask for?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Random Havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He effectively sent them to hell after they die in their belief. What else could you ask for?
Call me crazy, but I'd really prefer he did something in the here and now, other than hiding them in foreign countries and pretending it didn't happen.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Alan

He didn't pretend it didn't happen. He condemned them. And how exactly does he hide in foreign countries? He lives in the Vatican; period.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
real classy
Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Random Havoc

Quote:
He didn't pretend it didn't happen. He condemned them. And how exactly does he hide in foreign countries? He lives in the Vatican; period.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
Background, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Catholic sex abuse cases are a series of lawsuits, criminal prosecutions and scandals related to sexual abuse committed by Catholic priests and members of Catholic religious orders that first rose to widespread public attention in the last two decades of the 20th century.[1] Although awareness of the widespread scope of these abuses first received significant media attention in Canada, Ireland and the United States, other cases were also reported in a number of other countries.

Beyond the actual abuses, much of the scandal focused around the actions of some members of the Catholic hierarchy who did not report the crimes to legal authorities and reassigned the offenders to other locations where they continued to have contact with minors, giving them the opportunity to continue their sexual abuse.
This current pope, was the guy in charge of moving these priests to other countries prior to the former pope's death.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Saya

Yeah, didn't Benny tell the priests not to cooperate or talk to the cops about child molestation?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Random Havoc

Yeah, back when he was still Cardinal Ratzinger he signed and distributed an internal order saying not to cooperate in any way with any investigation into any church practices that might lead to a lawsuit, on pain of being cast out of the church.

Worth noting, while he did threaten to cast out any member of the church that cooperated in any way with the legal investigations, no clergyman that has been incriminated has ever been threatened with anything.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Alan

And now according to your own article he condemns them.
What I'm asking here is why the hell does it surprise you. Why are you expecting him to be any sort of civil authority?
real classy
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Random Havoc

Quote:
And now according to your own article he condemns them.
What I'm asking here is why the hell does it surprise you. Why are you expecting him to be any sort of civil authority?
I mostly see it as more of the usual hypocrisy from the church of Rome that so many of us have come to expect. Do I expect him to be any form of civil authority? Of course not, he's one lunatic in a pointy hat elected by several others. I find it amusing that he can make such a backhanded decree against something that he is almost solely responsible for turning into the largest current issue with the practices of his organisation. To expect a man like Pope Benedict to do anything more than make politically correct statements about crimes while acting to hide the perpetrators and keep the blind faithful in the dark of how far the extent of the crimes has reached would be madness. I brought it up because I found it ironic that after his internal memo has been leaked showing that he is almost completely responsible for the massive cover-up of these crimes he would have the nerve to publicly say anything about the issue of any kind.

Also I find it amazing that you're so blind to the overall details of this considering that over the course of the last ten years this issue has been on the front page of a good number of the major newspapers in the US, and abroad.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Saya

Wait wait wait back up

Quote:
“The Church, over the centuries... has promoted the protection of the rights and dignity of minors,” the pope said on the 20’th anniversary of the International Convention on the Rights of the Child. Repeated revelations of paedophile priests have rocked the Roman Catholic Church in recent months.
Through the centuries, huh? Before the castration of choir boys or after the Magdalene Asylums?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Random Havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Wait wait wait back up

Through the centuries, huh? Before the castration of choir boys or after the Magdalene Asylums?
One would presume he thinks castration is in their best interests?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Saya

Well if they don't have balls they can't have premarital sex or use condoms, right? Because condoms are evil and actually CAUSE AIDS.

Sorry, this guy drives me insane. There's the hypocrisy, cover up, ignoring past Church crimes, and spreading misinformation about condoms that coming from a man with his influence and power will endanger many many lives. He may not act with civil authority but he has enough wealth and power to make Solomon blush, and he uses that influence so irresonsibly. I had my problems with John Paul II but I more or less respected him, Benny terrifies me.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
Random Havoc

I have to agree with you, Saya... While I generally dislike making personal attacks on anyone, (yes that's code for I'm about to do so) I have to wonder if they didn't name him 'Been-a-di ck' for a reason....