Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #51
Mr E Nigma

I personally enjoy the Mayan theory and why Dec. 21st, 2012 is their calendars end date.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #52
Vasilius Konstantinos

Quote:
To use a code in a book thats very translation (Not even getting into the implications of what the Bible means to say)- but the very choice of words given by oral tradition, then picked over and chosen by the Council of Nicene, by subsequent Councils, then filtered from a dead language (Aramaic) to Greek, another dead language (Latin) to German and then translated from German back into a Romance language is constantly called into question is at bare minimum suspect, and most obviously and blatantly a Post-Nostradamus cash-in.
Well, actually at the Council at Nicea the texts themselves were placed into the canon, not the nit-picking of translation. Greek was the only factor for the texts, meaning everything in the Septuagint was used for the "Old Testament" which was not called so until the Geneva Bible was translated. The books in question were for the "New Testament", those written post-Messianic literature and letters. Greek was the only language, and the translation came from Alexandria for the Hebrew/Aramaic, approved Rabinically until the supposed Council of Jamnia, (questionable to most scholars outside of America).

Translations are horrible, usually into English of the Sacred Texts. But there is absolutely no evidence that anything has been altered from the original up to now, nor has there ever been a true translation from another language from Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic into English. Yes, there are unofficial translations (all modern, 20th cent. to now). The original texts, i.e. Codex St. Petersburg, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus among others are legitimate and original; still used for translation and unaltered to what "official" translations resemble.

So, as far as translation goes, the text is pretty accurate and untouched. Translations on the other hand are always in error. One's best bet would be to learn Greek and read everything from its original.

Quote:
To lend credence to some code created in the modern day and transferred onto something so archaic with the gift of hindsight to make the pieces fit and create credibility is a load of crap.
I completely agree.

VK
Vasilius Konstantinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #53
Vasilius Konstantinos

Quote:
Ooooo... say that again....
Okay!

I completely agree!
LOL

VK
Vasilius Konstantinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #54
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
"Reference Books" are based on fact or law (Things that have not yet been proven not so).

These books are AT BEST historical speculation. In general, they are money-making tripe.
you're right. But the references Dan brown used are mostly coming from real sources. i think there are some "freemasons" and "conspiracy theory thinkers" also behind this thing or idea. Money making tripe? that's true also!
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:41 AM   #55
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilius Konstantinos
Well, actually at the Council at Nicea the texts themselves were placed into the canon, not the nit-picking of translation. Greek was the only factor for the texts, meaning everything in the Septuagint was used for the "Old Testament" which was not called so until the Geneva Bible was translated. The books in question were for the "New Testament", those written post-Messianic literature and letters. Greek was the only language, and the translation came from Alexandria for the Hebrew/Aramaic, approved Rabinically until the supposed Council of Jamnia, (questionable to most scholars outside of America).

Translations are horrible, usually into English of the Sacred Texts. But there is absolutely no evidence that anything has been altered from the original up to now, nor has there ever been a true translation from another language from Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic into English. Yes, there are unofficial translations (all modern, 20th cent. to now). The original texts, i.e. Codex St. Petersburg, Codex Vaticanus, Codex Sinaiticus among others are legitimate and original; still used for translation and unaltered to what "official" translations resemble.

So, as far as translation goes, the text is pretty accurate and untouched. Translations on the other hand are always in error. One's best bet would be to learn Greek and read everything from its original.

I completely agree.

VK

Latin is a dying language not a dead language. anything you read in the holy scriptures are revised or added. The old testament and perhaps the new testament are full of apocrypha to be read. how about the dead sea scrolls bible? do you read it?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #56
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
What *real* sources would those be? Sylvia Brown's Art History 101?
i've read some source connected to this controversial book made by dan brown. like
"Holy blood, Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. ehom they also accused Dan brown of Plagiarism. last February 2006, the two authors of that book took the UK publisher of The DaVinci Code to court for breach of copyright, alleging plagiarism.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #57
succubus,queenofvampires

But there's something that I don't quite understand... If Dan Brown actually did plagiarize Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh's book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", then why didn't it get the recognition and why didn't it become a controversial issue the way "The Da Vinci Code" did?
For example, " The Da Vinci Code" is banned here since the Catholic Church banned it; however, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" isn't...( I saw it last time in a bookshop)
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #58
Wise Child

Maybe because the Da Vinci Code was aimed at a mainstream audience, so more people would be likely to read it? That's the only reason I can think of.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #59
Shelley/Stoker

The book is as you say a nice piece of fiction... Nothing more...
Shelley/Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 AM   #60
Slap Your Love

Simply overated in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #61
Toni

Have to agree with the above sentiments. As a work of pure fiction the novel was a good read. Although far from a classic the author did well to keep the tale flowing at a good pace and leave every chapter on a clifhanger. Admittedly you have to overlook a few glaring holes in the plot but it was definitely a hard book to put down.
Although the less said about the film the better... ;-)
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #62
VisciaDacia

I found it boring and I didn't enjoy his writing style much. It was basically another by-numbers action novel with a religious current thrown in to generate controversy.

I also dislike the fact that while it is a work of fiction loosely based on research and other books, there are plenty of people who take it seriously and honestly believe the stuff in there. It's good to open people's minds but I would rather he did it without polluting their impressionable minds and not clarifying that it is, in fact, fiction.

....but then, who am I to tell him how to write? Ah well. Overall, i just thought it was overrated.
VisciaDacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #63
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe

And Dan Brown ain't so accurate himself, sweetie. In DaVinci code one of his characters informs us that there are over 80 gospels total. That's books, smart guy, not gospels. A gospel is a book but a book is not a gospel. Just thought I'd mention it...
Don't try to sound smart then say the word ain't like a complete hick please. You had many good points but that kind of killed it for me.

Overall, I liked the book, I thought it was interesting, not enough so for me to become a fan of his, but still, it was interesting enough.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #64
Corpsey

Thanks for ressurecting a ghoul to attack someone who hasn't posted here for a while.

That's plain disrespectful. Fuck up if you will, and ressurect some respect for yourself.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #65
††BlackRose††

Although MANY people think that this is a brilliant novel i didn't find it too interesting. Sure there were some interesting things, but overall it wasn't that interesting. But then again if you have read this first then its interesting. I read the book Angels & Demons first. Its way better in my opinion.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #66
thedoll

His other books interested me more, but having a Catholic background, it was interesting to hear his thoughts.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #67
PutridLily

I enjoyed it while it lasted. I guess it was aimed at a mainstream audience, therefore selling out to mass consumerism and marketing. I think the media played a major part in all the hype about it and exploited what is now a throwaway piece of literature.
PutridLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 AM   #68
SituationNoir

Location: Port Macquarie: The happiest place on earth. [If you've never been anywhere else] Australia.
I agree with a few other people, that his other books were better. I liked angels and demons and initially I liked the Da Vinci code. It was definately an interesting read and did make me think about a few things. I'm not overly religious, though I have been baptised and I am lucky enough to be part of the catholic education system [Oh yay], so, I found it easy to believe some of the points made about the lengths certain religious groups would go to to achieve particuler means. I liked that aspect of it more than anything.

However, I've also read alot of other books on the same and simillar topics which I enjoyed more. There was alot of hype about the book when it first came out because the publishers knew exactly how to market the book, thats perhaps where the authors of 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' went wrong. On top of that, whilst it there were years between the publication of the two books. Those years can make a hell of a difference, modern society is more inclined to criticise organised religion today, than it was say, ten years ago. Furthermore, the fact that the book was fiction meant that it was easy to digest and therefore would reach differing and wider target audiences.

Working in a bookstore, I can honestly say now that we rarely sell a copy of the book. People actually steer clear of it, its become rubbishy and a little bit of a joke. The movie made it a little less credible in some eyes and when we got the damn board game...yeah, that was taking it just a tad too far. 'The Secret' another initially popular book is headed down the same path...
SituationNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #69
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

I did like the book, ok, it's just commercial throw-away literature, but it's ok just to relax. The movie wasn't so good, I think it some of the parts that are supposed to be thrilling turn out boring.

What annoys me about this book is that very few people (from what I've seen, at least) have a healthy attitude towards it; either they take as if it was an absolute truth that only Dan Brown has figured out (when it has many research holes and none of the ideas on it are new) or they take it as a huge offence and even something dangerous (as you know, Opus Dei was founded in Spain where I live and a lot of people are close to it, and if not they still find that the story is hurtful for them Christians... but I mean, it's just a best-seller, ok? It's just a novel. Why can't these people see that?).

And by the way, I LOVE Silas. I just love him, the rest of the story can f*** up, he's the best. Any other fans around here?
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #70
Katanshin

There's one massive reason I reread the Da Vinci code.

I work less than 1k away from the Temple Church he wrote about!!! Whoo!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 AM   #71
linkbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyslayer
Personally, I found this book very intriging. Honestly, everything I knew about christianity was totally demolished while reading this book.
The whole thing is complete and utter bullshit. Same with left behind. They're just really good ways to get famous.
linkbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:29 AM   #72
linkbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae
I did like the book, ok, it's just commercial throw-away literature, but it's ok just to relax. The movie wasn't so good, I think it some of the parts that are supposed to be thrilling turn out boring.

What annoys me about this book is that very few people (from what I've seen, at least) have a healthy attitude towards it; either they take as if it was an absolute truth that only Dan Brown has figured out (when it has many research holes and none of the ideas on it are new) or they take it as a huge offence and even something dangerous (as you know, Opus Dei was founded in Spain where I live and a lot of people are close to it, and if not they still find that the story is hurtful for them Christians... but I mean, it's just a best-seller, ok? It's just a novel. Why can't these people see that?).

And by the way, I LOVE Silas. I just love him, the rest of the story can f*** up, he's the best. Any other fans around here?
Thank you. You are like the only person I've ever heard of who can read the book and still believe what you want to believe without bashing the otherside.
linkbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #73
HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

I think people tend to take this book far too seriously. It's a work of fiction, made up. Ok, Dan Brown may draw on true sources for his material, but at the end of the day the book itself is still a work of fiction and should be taken as such.
HeWhoMustNotBeNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #74
Steppenwolf

a friend of mine gave me an exemplar , so I tryed to open my mind and read it ... (I really didnt want to ... call it intuition)

This "book" is boring , the characters are as empty as ... well , nothing .
Besides is an idiot plot , and having read great books from R.a. wilson , one cant decide if laugh or cry about the "vatican conspiracy" ...

Not even for relax , I prefer to go for a walk or take a bath .
such a waste of time ....