Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
eternalcrimson

I hate musicals!!!!!

There is a personal reason why I brought this up which I will mention later but I hate musicals for the following top 3 reasons.

1. The songs in most musicals are horrible. Without going in to specific examples in general most musicals are upbeat and or melodramatic garbage and in most musicals all the numbers sound the same without much diversity.

2. There is no such thing as a “serious” musical. How can you take a musical seriously since most of the acting (which I will get to in my next point) is sappy, melodramatic and just over the top. In other words all musicals are cheesy, even Repo! The genetic opera. I swear you can make Hitler in to a musical and it would still turn in to limburger cheese.

3. Most musicals are poorly acted. While they usually technically look good there is no emotional depth or “inner life” as we call it in the business. Musical actors tend to just go through the motions. They go through scenes with activities and that’s it. For example in every musical there is some scene where the character is crying. Well why does a character cry? It’s because they are sad right? But I could swear to you in every musical that I have ever seen both live and at home they don’t look sad. They just look like a actor just producing tears and just trying to achieve “scene needs”.

There are other reasons why I don’t like musicals but I wanted to give my top 3. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate all musicals as a matter of fact here are my favorites (In no particular order)

1. Repo! The Genetic Opera
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
3. Little Shop Of Horrors (as cheesy as it is there is something about a blood thristy plant that I love)
4. The Producers
5. Earth Girls are Easy

Now the personal reason why I hate musicals. Ever since I became a actor almost all the shows I have been in have had a musical number and just thinking about it gives me douche chills. Why do I have to do a number for a regular non-musical show. The whole reason why I got in to acting was so I wouldn’t have to sing not to mention I know a lot of “musical actors” and they tend to be drama queens and I like to stay as far away from those people as possible.

Anyway in this current production of “As You Like It” there is a big music number at the end and it’s being produced by this flaming queer. Don’t get me wrong I am gay myself but he is a stereotypical homosexual. He paints his nails pink, he speaks with a lisp, buys his clothes at the gap, etc. He’s so flamingly flamboyant to the point where he could set a room on fire. He annoys me like you couldn’t believe not to mention he doesn’t know what he is doing.

This version of “As You Like It” is being set in Early 1900’s France. So common sense tells you that this music number would be French themed, right? Wrong, It is like a country number but it’s even worse. The way it’s being produced there is no soul in it (Another thing I hate about musicals. NO SOUL). It’s just this high energy stereotypical musical garbage. Originaly Duke Senior was suppose to sing the whole number by himself but we all are suppose to sing it now.

I am thinking about getting revenge by lip syncing when we get to performance. They won’t know, not to mention why sing something I won’t enjoy singing in the first place? There is no point.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Duane

Hey! Tommy is awesome!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
jigsaw

do you like sweeny todd
jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Lady Christine

For a second I thought you wrote those 5 down as reasons why you didn't like musicals, you got my feathers in a bunch but I re-read it so yeah...

I understand your perspective though, it's not uncommon for people not to like musicals, and even though my degree (communications with a concentration in Theatre) may have me working with some, there are certainly musicals out there I think are horrible... and there are some I think are great. Different strokes for different folks!
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
DRM

I find musicals charming.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
eternalcrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
do you like sweeny todd
I completly forgot about that. Yeah I love that musical too but I haven't got a chance to see the movie.

I saw the previews for it and as much as I love Johnny Depp I thought he was "reaching" for it moments. In spite of that I'm still going to see it when I have time.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

I pretty much hate musicals, too.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Saya

I do like a lot of them. I saw The Rocky Horror Show recently and I had the time of my life. I saw Grease last year and it was "meh." I haven't seen it performed yet but Jesus Christ Superstar still remains the best Biblical movie IMO.

But yeah, As You Like It having a musical number just sounds retarded.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I must admit I am a bit of a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado, and have seen good things of the U.S.S. Pinafore. But mostly I hate them as well, especialy that wreched Cerberus known as " high school musical". Believe me when I tell you this I've got a little list. They'd none of 'em be missed

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
HavelockV

While I will concede that there are a great many musicals that are essentially trivial and require the barest minimum of acting skills from the performers, there are some shows that live and die by the acting abilities of the lead players. I think it is also important to note that in many instances, musicals are not intended to be taken seriously. They are the lighthearted offspring of grand opera, made to appeal to the masses and provide a more accessible form of entertainment. This is not to say that only intellectually inferior people enjoy musicals, but rather that certain musicals, when done well, can prove uplifting and even inspiring to their audiences.

Of course, it is entirely pointless to insert some gaudy song and dance number into a classic Shakespearian play. Bad form, indeed.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Sinjob

I don't know. Forbidden Zone was pretty kickass.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
gothicusmaximus

99% of work in any medium is invariably utter shit, but no art form is inherently, unilaterally awful. There are good musicals, just as there's good metal and even good anime. Check out a good production of Les Mis or Spring Awakening.

Anyway, as I seem to be forced to do once a month on this forum, I need to correct a minor misconception you allegedly literate people hold about Shakespeare. As You Like it is not a non-musical play-- it featured several songs even when it was staged at the Globe, notably "When Daisies Pied", which I assume is the number you're performing, eternalcrimson.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Ugh, fuck Les Mis.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
HavelockV

Literacy does not necessarily imply that one has read The Complete Works of William Shakespeare cover to cover. However, consider me enlightened and thankful for that bit of trivia. That being said, I applaud you for pointing out that insofar as the output of quality in comparison to quantity of material in any creative medium, there is little of the former, and great deal of the latter.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
Saya

I've read the play, and sadly there was no mention of a musical number at the end.

Please tell me there was one also at the end of Macbeth. With jazz hands.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Ugh, fuck Les Mis.
Oh, come now, Les Miserables is not all that bad. After all, you could be forced to watch Wicked, instead. Now there's a fine example of a musical travesty.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
99% of work in any medium is invariably utter shit, but no art form is inherently, unilaterally awful. There are good musicals, just as there's good metal and even good anime. Check out a good production of Les Mis or Spring Awakening.

Anyway, as I seem to be forced to do once a month on this forum, I need to correct a minor misconception you allegedly literate people hold about Shakespeare. As You Like it is not a non-musical play-- it featured several songs even when it was staged at the Globe, notably "When Daisies Pied", which I assume is the number you're performing, eternalcrimson.
I'm glad Spring Awakening came back. I know it was banned for a while, probably a long time ago, but none the less...

Was Lestat a musical when it was on Broadway?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
Was Lestat a musical when it was on Broadway?
A very short-lived one, yes. Elton John composed songs for a musical about Anne Rice's vampires. Hardly surprising that it failed.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Oh, come now, Les Miserables is not all that bad. After all, you could be forced to watch Wicked, instead. Now there's a fine example of a musical travesty.
It is actually that bad.
Not only is it actually that bad, but it's like four fucking days long.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #20
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
A very short-lived one, yes. Elton John composed songs for a musical about vampires? Hardly surprising that it failed.
I wondered why it didn't last... I didn't really look into it other then I saw it one day when I was going online to see shows my sophomore year of high-school, then junior year it was gone when I went to see Phantom.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

I wouldn't watch that if you paid me.
No, I would.
But I've heard it's terrible.

When I think about Lestat, it just makes me angry.
Everything makes me angry, though, so that's not really a big deal.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Lady Christine

Quote:
I wouldn't watch that if you paid me.
No, I would.
But I've heard it's terrible.

When I think about Lestat, it just makes me angry.
Everything makes me angry, though, so that's not really a big deal.
What's funny is my senile biology teacher told me her daughter wrote Lestat.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

I feel like you're lying, but that's funny anyway.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
Jonathan

Dancer in the Dark actually got to me.

Normally I don't dig musicals, but I found that one exceptional.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
Lady Christine

Quote:
I feel like you're lying, but that's funny anyway.
I wish I could make up her stories, she was insane. She was convinced two dragon statues in front of her house guarded the house with a forcefeild.