Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Serren

Question If you're getting a little bit older...

Have you changed how you dress at all?

I don't feel entirely comfortable wearing some things I did as a teenager... However I don't want to look like an old frump either.

I really like those Victorian style tops and blouses you can find...

Does anyone else heading for 30, 40 or whatever have any thoughts on how they've changed how they've dressed, or have you stayed the same?
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Albert Mond

I'm 108. Since I'm frequently going in and out of a semi-vegetative state, I seldom have the chance to dress like I did back in the good ol' days when I was 64. I haven't given up completely, however, and I have payed for custom hospital gowns with the Bauhaus logo on them.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
isobel black

I guess I have pretty much stayed the same, with the exception that I've added some clothes to my wardrobe specifically to wear to work. But then again my style never was really elaborate.
I have toned down the jewellery and accessories a bit I guess, come to think of it.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Steppenwolf

Just to get more money and a better job , like everyone else .
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Solumina

I've simplified what I wear and now my look is focused on clean lines and sophisticated silhouettes, in the past I used to favor lots of funky accessories and loads of layers.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Joker_in_the_Pack

I work in a pizza parlor, so I wear the "uniform".

Other than that? Not a bit.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Saya

I don't pile on the eyeliner or black lipstick anymore, infact I hardly wear makeup anymore at all. I still wear lots of black but the look is far more "grown up", I guess, sweaters, blouses, and nice longish skirts, so I get compliments from my boss and coworkers while still having a sort of individal style.

I look far better now than I did as a teen anyway XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Albert Mond

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I work in a pizza parlor, so I wear the "uniform".
Do they ever let you get free pizza? Better yet, will they let you live there? If not, could you take it by force? After the coup, can I come over?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Do they ever let you get free pizza? Better yet, will they let you live there? If not, could you take it by force? After the coup, can I come over?
I'm a vegan, so I can't eat most of what we sell, sadly.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I can't wear tight pants anymore. It dishonors Gothdom to do so. But everything else I still wear, although I only wear lace gloves to concerts now.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
strange_pleasure

Well, Im almost 30 and I think I've found what works for me. I still look young for my age and I find that E.G.L., victorian and sometime simpler types of clothing look best. I don't load up on accessories as much anymore, it looks as if you are trying to hard. A ring or two and choker and maybe gloves or a braclet is fine, but certainly not the 25 black rubbers on each wrist w/fishnet glowes and rings on every finger that I used to wear as a teen.

Shoes...I still wear my chucks and Doc's but I don't do the big platform Demonias anymore since every once and their little cyber friends wear them. Mary Janes are always nice and they are cute for work too

Occasionally, I will wear dread falls but I wear ones that blend in with my hair. One thing that I miss is dying my hair purple or having streaks but hey, you got to work to pay the bills!

As far as makeup, I still wear dark lipstick but not as much eye makeup as I did back in the day. Has anyone found that as they've gotten older, eye liner and certain mascaras irratate their eyes?
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Zakyath

I'm sixteen, so maybe this thread isn't really for me. Though I did realiz that I was some kind of mall goth and I just looked weird. Not in a good way, though. So I started to dress normal, since I can't do anything myself to clothes. I tried to sew a button to a hawaii shirt once, not long ago. I failed. So now I just dress in stuff I buy. I still keep some parts of the old left, I still wear my old Sisters of Mercy t-shirt, always tight jeans, black coat often some kind of boots or these thingies, dunno what their called in english: http://www.bootson.se/bilder/big/myg...lack-white.jpg
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Catch

Actually, I wear clothes that fit now. I was a size seven and the smallest size I would wear was a twelve, but now I'm almost a size twelve. Yep this whole boring thing didn't just start because I got older. People would comment on how undoing the top button on a shirt might look good. A lot of my shirts don't even have collars now. Exciting, getting slutty in my old age.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
badteccy

I dressed pretty nutsly goth in high school (only two years ago for me). For me, I grew out of that clothing style...and it's also not very socially acceptable to wear 7 inch platforms and fishnets in college...especially if you represent the school a lot.
Also, keeping up a certain style is a lot of expensive work.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Catch

ya. I've always wondered why people dress like they are going to a nightclub when they are at work. It hasn't been to difficult for me to get older, since my basic style is just a little nicer than what people typically wear and always fairly conservative. Sometimes, it is even in fashion. I loved when ankly length skirts were trendy.