Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
So you believe that the core essence of the "goth" personality is something which can be switched on and off? Do tell. I am always up for listening to interpretation.
Don't bother with her. She thinks that goth is something you do, like it's a learned behavior or some shit.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Saying "*blank* and *blank* ARE" is grammatically correct. It's called plural, and you learn it in the first grade. You didn't correct anything by saying "*blank* and *blank* IS", you actually just made an error on a perfectly fine sentence.

And I'm not a grammar nazi. Saying 'two sense' instead of the cliché phrase 'two cents' would grind the teeth of most people. It isn't a trivial error.
I call it two sense on purpose, and nice try in hiding your grammatical error, because I actually simply directly quoted you and put bold tags on "is". I didn't actually insert it. "Is" is the word you originally used before editing your post for fear of looking like a hypocrite.
Fathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Dude, I'm on your side. I had no clue I liked black clothes and Siouxsie Sioux until I went to the doctor because I was feeling blue and had the incontrollable urge to grow my bangs and take sad pictures. He gave me a blood test and said "You're Goth Positive," and, well, I've been here ever since. Just living one day at a time, man.
... Ok your sarcasm went from mildly pretentious, to wildly obnoxious and immature. I no longer have an interest in interacting with you.

To everyone else: I'm leaving for an open mic, so, as much as I'd love to sit here and continue this, I have more important matters in to which I must attend. Later.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
Alan

Oh shit, you got me there. But then how exactly am I a grammar nazi then?
And, please do explain your purpose in saying two sense.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Saya

Quote:
... Ok your sarcasm went from mildly pretentious, to wildly obnoxious and immature. I no longer have an interest in interacting with you.

To everyone else: I'm leaving for an open mic, so, as much as I'd love to sit here and continue this, I have more important matters in to which I must attend. Later.
Open mic?!!! You fucking poseur, you're going out to interact with GROUPS OF PEOPLE when you're supposed to be alone and angsty about it. Do they at least serve blood there?! Its probably some hipster bar, isn't it, ISNT IT?

Don't let me catch your hipster ass around these parts again. WE'VE BEEN PLAYED.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Oh shit, you got me there. But then how exactly am I a grammar nazi then?
And, please do explain your purpose in saying two sense.
Because I enjoy being unique, and considering that it's a slang phrase, it's open to interpretation. Now, I really must leave.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
Alan

Lawl, yeah, making up shit really makes you unique. Aren't you a beautiful little black sheep with your thing bangs we haven't seen in every single black-clad metal fan ever?
real classy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #33
Versus

He'a leaving?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #34
Fathom

Making up shit? I suppose Mozart was just making up shit when he created the greatest symphony ever known to man simply because it had never been conceived of before? Do you really think idiotic little comments like that encourage me to take you seriously? It seems like nothing more than a futilely executed attempt at making a logical assertion look like an unoriginal waste of time. Look asswipe, I don't give a fuck if you like it or not. I don't encourage myself to be original so that I can please anyone, least of all ignorant little piss ant wannabes like you. So you can fuck off kindly, ok?

Yes, I left for an open mic.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #35
Timeless Rebellion

Fathom: You make me laugh. Your utter refusal to acknowledge your mistakes on top of your wild misconception of the term goth is quite funny when you think about it.
Your aggressive nature on the other hand is just sad.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
Alan

Thinking saying "two sense" can be comparable to a Mozart piece. You know, I think you ARE a goth after all. Only the people who are far up their assess in caring about being referred to as goth would have such a hilarious sense of entitlement.
real classy
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #37
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Fathom: You make me laugh. Your utter refusal to acknowledge your mistakes on top of your wild misconception of the term goth is quite funny when you think about it.
Your aggressive nature on the other hand is just sad.
Those whom aggressively attack ignorance with logic are those whom are honorable. You seem to believe that the only conceivable definition a word can have is that of the technical consensus brought on by a dictionary. This alone shows me that you're about as deep as a mud puddle, so what you say moves me about as much as I was moved the first time I ever heard a Yoko Ono song.

@Alan: You're the one whose dense enough to believe that what I said somehow implied that it was comparable. It was an extreme analogy between two examples which hold the same basic concept meant to show you how ridiculous it is to call someone unoriginal just because you think it's stupid.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #38
Alan

The dictionary doesn't even have the music definition of gothic; it has the eerie description of the qualities that you probably ascribe to your ' born gothic personality'
real classy
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #39
Versus

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
Those whom aggressively attack ignorance with logic are those whom are honorable. You seem to believe that the only conceivable definition a word can have is that of the technical consensus brought on by a dictionary. This alone shows me that you're about as deep as a mud puddle, so what you say moves me about as much as I was moved the first time I ever heard a Yoko Ono song.

@Alan: You're the one whose dense enough to believe that what I said somehow implied that it was comparable. It was an extreme analogy between two examples which hold the same basic concept meant to show you how ridiculous it is to call someone unoriginal just because you think it's stupid.
*COUGH!*
Sorry, I am severely allergic to idiocy.

On a more serious note though, what exactly do you acomplish by pissing off every single core member on your first week here?
And what do you acomplish by being mean to someone who currently is where a lot of us probably were at one point?
Besides, in the duration of this thread, you hinted that if someone is not goth, they should not be here.
Well I am not goth, and I am not going anywhere.
You are really the only one who has shown that you do not belong here. You are vile, unnescessarily cruel and more ignorant than one person should be allowed to be.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
MissCheyenne

Fuck this shit. I'm gonna flip a table in Mcdonalds so people can see how dark I am and shit.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 21:12
Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.
Jesus - flipping tables before it was cool.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #43
MissCheyenne

Flipping tables and benches of those selling doves is not quite as majestic as making a slimy gherkin slice fly through the air, cartwheeling proudly before it touches down on the cheek of a screaming old lady who was merely trying to enjoy the fleshy off cuts in her 99p cheeseburger.

I am your slice of pie
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
Timeless Rebellion

Yours is a bold reenterpretation of the original tableflip, but still!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #45
MissCheyenne

Being bold makes me feel alive. ALIVE I TELL YOU!! Don't deny my art, my art is what keeps my blood flowing through these frozen veins.

I am your slice of pie
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #46
Solumina

All this talk of flipping things really makes me want to play flip cup, god I haven't played that in forever
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #47
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You can always tell who's the young virgins who take themselves way too seriously.
Using virgin as an insult now?

lol you guys are dicks, forreal. You've helped elucidate the folly of pretentious asshattery to me.

'cept I do it way better, so not really.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #48
Elystan

Also:

Goth is not a subculture, and hasn't been since 1983. It's barely even a genre of music since all the bands which actually are goth actually aren't ('cept maybe Bauhaus but Peter Murphy is the biggest sellout since Peter Hook).

How do you describe someone who dresses in black and listens to FoTN, TON, NiN or Marilyn Manson? I like to use the term 'lesser goth' or 'tier two goth'. Of course people who listen to the Doors are superior even to our vaunted selves (except me 'cause I like to listen to the Doors 8). Kneel before me.)

Your newest persecuted newcomer is quite right however to observe that words change and adapt through usage. 'Goth' as a subculture based around the big four bands (I'm excluding the Cure out of habit) is more or less a fantasy. The majority of those who self identify as goths in this day and age listen to shit like Combichrist.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #49
Alan

Yes, and the GOP are really the modern day representatives of republicanism. Great argument.
real classy
Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #50
Versus

Rebelling against everybody around you and constantly drawing attention to and seeking recognition that you were born fundamentally different is definitely an inborn trait and not a learned behavior. If it wasn't true, then why would common usage of the term say otherwise?

Teenage angst is myth.

-Breathin, Tupac.