Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #51
Desire~the~Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
You can't be seriously horrified at being called emo as though people are going to understand your exact subculture like it's a zoo exhibit info plaque. (Not that too many folks can even be bothered with reading or getting those right either)

That not withstanding, I've been politely mistaken for emo AND Wiccan by one coworker but when I told her otherwise, she was cool.

Actually yes I can be. Though the whole point of being "emo" is absolutely demeaning, it's an act of selfishness and nothing but seeking attention from others. Probably deprived of a life too. And I'm not saying any of this to be rude either. Honestly i view goth to be a form of style, an art, so really to be mistaken for an immature child who needs love from their parents but can't seem to grasp it. Excuse me. Please.
Desire~the~Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #52
Desire~the~Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitternessMusic
I've never been called an "Emo" that I know of. To be honest though, I somewhat find that term to be ridiculous. It just seems to sound weird to my ears.

"Oh, I'm an Emo."

Most of the time I just snicker and roll my eyes when I hear the term.

However, I once tried to use "Gothic" as a generic term to quickly convey an idea about who I was for sake of a conversation once. The girl replied that it was impossible for me to be Gothic because I was not addicted to heroin and didn't talk about satan or death all the time. Sadly, she was being completely serious.

I completely agree with you. I'm always patronized for this. I wear mostly black and maybe a little dark red or purple. The same goes for my eyes and normally wear dark lipstick or black. I have long black hair. So naturally I thought it wasn't possible for someone to mistaken me for that. Makes me very upset that does.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #53
Desire~the~Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
How about I put your nuts on a belt sander, and then you tell me which is more irritating.

How romantic but sorry I don't have any nuts but I'll tell you what if I did I'd let you in a heart beat.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #54
Desire~the~Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
No, I know how to dress myself without looking like a prick.

Are you saying I look like a prick?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #55
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire~the~Rose
Yeah, he was.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #56
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Catches on quick, this one.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #57
Slap Your Love

^ You sir, are a dick. I like it.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #58
NightmareInShiningArmour

You like dick?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #59
peacebear5028

Most people usually ask me if im goth as if it were some way of understanding everything i do. Ill simply look at them and say I dont really like to call myself anything, so im nothing. They usually end up more puzzled than before.
Sometimes people will yell emo at me, but then I simply snicker and flip them the bird.
It doesnt really matter all to much to me.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #60
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
^ You sir, are a dick. I like it.
I'm only a dick so I can fuck the shit out of these assholes.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #61
Desire~the~Rose

Oh Joker_in_the_pack . . . if it were possible, I'd love you.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #62
MollyMac

Quote:
Actually yes I can be. Though the whole point of being "emo" is absolutely demeaning, it's an act of selfishness and nothing but seeking attention from others. Probably deprived of a life too. And I'm not saying any of this to be rude either. Honestly i view goth to be a form of style, an art, so really to be mistaken for an immature child who needs love from their parents but can't seem to grasp it. Excuse me. Please.

No. It isn't demeaning. Saying the point of Emo is demeaning is akin to saying being Goth is pathetic natcissism. Emo is a form of style and an art as well, you tunnel visioned ignorant hypocrite.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #63
Desire~the~Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
No. It isn't demeaning. Saying the point of Emo is demeaning is akin to saying being Goth is pathetic natcissism. Emo is a form of style and an art as well, you tunnel visioned ignorant hypocrite.

Actually the clothing style, yes, but the term of cutting one self or planning suicide because of something ridiculous like " my boyfriend/girlfriend dumped me" or "I'm fat" is what comes to mind when people use it. If this has changed then excuse me for not getting out much.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #64
Godslayer Jillian

What comes to mind when people use the word goth is a black-wearing, depressive, angst-ridden high school dropout that buys all his apparel at Hot Topic and pretends he's a vampire.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #65
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
What comes to mind when people use the word goth is a black-wearing, depressive, angst-ridden high school dropout that buys all his apparel at Hot Topic and pretends he's a vampire.
Wait, you mean they aren't?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #66
crucifix

I got mistaken two days ago at work. About my hair, as usual. I ended up getting into this whole discussion with this customer (I was outside on my smoke break) about the differences between goth and emo and that just because I have somewhat shaggy hair does not mean it makes me emo. Oh people, so close minded.....
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #67
NightmareInShiningArmour

Does it really matter??
Who cares what people think.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #68
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Does it really matter??
I didn't really care what she thought, but she asked me if I was emo and I said no and then she wanted to know what exactly emo meant, so I explained to difference.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #69
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Does it really matter??
I care a lot what people think.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #70
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I care a lot what people think.
Why? It's not good for self-esteem.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #71
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity

Maybe. But it's the truth.
Everyone cares to some degree and those who 'don't' are in self denial.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #72
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Isn't it? Why can't it be good for self-esteem to at least take a second to think about the reaction that people will have to whatever you're doing? Admittedly, my slight paranoia that people are talking about me is of detriment, but to take into account people's thoughts and perceptions of myself is to further myself socially and to generally cover all bases. I've noticed that people who say that they don't care what people think of them either do, or are horribly slovenly and unpalatable.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #73
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Isn't it? Why can't it be good for self-esteem to at least take a second to think about the reaction that people will have to whatever you're doing? Admittedly, my slight paranoia that people are talking about me is of detriment, but to take into account people's thoughts and perceptions of myself is to further myself socially and to generally cover all bases. I've noticed that people who say that they don't care what people think of them either do, or are horribly slovenly and unpalatable.
Because when you take everyone's reactions into consideration, you never really get what you want in life. Taking into account people's thoughts and perceptions of you is thinking entirely too much about yourself, and your ideas of how people perceive you will not always be correct.
Caring about what other people think to a certain extent is fine, but caring "a lot" isn't good for you and you'll make more mistakes that way.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #74
NightmareInShiningArmour

I care what people say. Those people are only people I respect though. Friends and family.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #75
gothicusmaximus

I've never had to worry about what others think about me. Conveniently, people either adore me, or are worthless imbeciles. Funny how things work out that way.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote