Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #101
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic
Oh Jane13, you've made a mistake akin to saying "Marilyn Manson invented goth".
FORGIVEMEFORIHAVESINNED!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *dies*
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #102
Idoru

Yes.

Mana named the lines of his clothing range 'Elegant Gothic ******' and 'Elegant Gothic Aristocrat'. The name was just adopted from there.

Visual Kei music has been assimilated into the goth scene here quite well of late, although as Panic rightly pointed out, in Japan they are totally different subcultures. The gothic ****** movement often has nothing to do with music at all.

Strange how it all works differently here from Japan, but it gives us more chances to diversify and find new music, so go go ****** chan!
Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #103
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic
Virulent, I don't know about that, but I do know that in some of the eastern cultures, white is considered the "mourning" color. It would make sense.
Bugger, you beat me to it.
I think it is is Korea and Vietnam that as sign of respect for the you wear white for the funeral.

I think in a lot of the oriental cultures, white and silver cars have the same sort of "power and respect" status that we give to large black cars. Large black cars in Japan are the reserve of the Gangster, not the hardworking business man.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #104
vanishing

when i saw this band called the islands they were all wearing all white and it just seemed rather awkward i guess because hardly anybody does and you had this whole band doing it. i'm sure alot of other bands have done it before though, but i don't know.. it just sort of reminds me of painters and makes me think "wow, they must be a neat freak or super clean" cause i know i couldn't wear all white for an entire day without getting something on me.
vanishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #105
Cicero

Looking through old family pictures I came across something that has rather committed me to a white wedding dress...

It was a picture dated 1878 of my great-great-Aunt getting married in the most amazing white Victorian gown. I then found a picture dated 1970 of my mother's cousin in the same dress. Upon asking my mother of the dress's existence today I found out it is still in the possession of that same cousin! Furthermore, should I decide to get married, she would be delighted for me to wear it!

Not that I'm planning my wedding just yet, but the opportunity to wear a 120 year old original hand-made Victorian wedding dress is too good to pass up.

Anyway to connect this to the topic at hand, does this all-white Victorian ensemble look gothic? HELL YES! The most gothic outfit I've ever seen in my life.

Now I just need to find someone to marry in order to wear this most beautiful and elegant attire.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 PM   #106
Kari

I'm a black person, but I wear black and white, (Just think Of black pants with white strings criss-cross in the front) But as far as the "Black goth in white" I would try, but wearing a white corset and a white dress would look like a wedding dress. But for any matter, its possible to wear all white, but I would add stuff like chains, and spikes.
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #107
Kari

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, I have a very light skin color, (Light brown) but I'm not really dark like wood, or black. So I can probaly get by with wearing black most of the time.
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #108
Immortal_Death

I dont have anything that is white in my closet except for my stupid lame school uniforms. But i wear a black shirt underneath with the uniform unbuttoned and rolled up sleeves.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:22 AM   #109
TheCastrator

Hm. White's good. At least it can be. It depends on the same things that all clothes depend on. Does the person suit that style? Do they suit that dress? What about this one? Hmmm?
Also, I think a good bit of it depends on how the person feels about it. If you're wearing all white you're going to stand out and people are going to notice you and you're going to be different. If you're not comfortable with that, then you're not going to look as good as you would if you were confident in yourself and how you look.

I was all dressed up as the Corinthian for last year's Hallowe'en, causing me to look down every so often and be surprised at all the white. Still; I've started work on bringing the trousers in with a vew to going about all in white with my winkle pickers. Think "Manics' Motorcycle Emptiness video". There's a possibility I'll not go out in public like that, but it's always nice to know I have the option.
TheCastrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #110
LittleMissTaxidermy

I wear all-white makeup on my eyes. With my skin tone, I look terrible with black eyeliner. It's hard to pull off without looking like a ganguro or a yamanba girl, but i bought this uber pretty sparkly shadow that gives enough white without looking chalky, or making me look like a panda bear. ( http://i6.tinypic.com/14typtu.jpg )

If you have yellowish or olive undertones or have darker skin, I think white can look quite beautiful. It also matters what you wear, because a skirt and normal shirt would just make you look like a country-clubber, so you'd have to go through extra pains to make sure your outfit looks elaborate.
LittleMissTaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #111
MohawkMidgit

Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
You just opened a can of worms...

There are "goths" in the western sense, but they are not a large subclture in Japan (yet).

What you are refering to is more likely "visual kei", which is a genre of music in which the artists feel that their appearance and stage antics are as important as their sound.

White is the traditional color of mourning in Japan, though in most pictures of modern funerals that I have seen, people have worn western-style clothes in colors that westerners would consider somber.

In conclusion "Do goths in Japan wear all white?" Sometimes.
"Do western goths wear all black?" Sometimes.

*shrug*
There are too goths in Japan. I used to be goin out with one till she moved back!
pretty sexy too
MohawkMidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #112
MohawkMidgit

o, but theyr black
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #113
Magpie_Tendencies

I can't understand a word you're saying. Even when I change the netspeak into actual English, I STILL can't understand a word you're saying...

What was that about goths in Japan? And who's black?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #114
Phayte

She said "they are not a large subclture in Japan (yet)." She didn't say there were no Gothic people in japan at all.

What the hell does, "o, but theyr black" mean?
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #115
MohawkMidgit

They have all black clothes mostly.
not white
Old 06-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #116
MohawkMidgit

No wait, I quoted back to far.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #117
Azurite

Tomorrow I'll be going to wear all white for Walpurgis here in Austria. I'll post photos afterwards if you like. Will only be ordinary digital cam quality, though.

Take care,
Azurite
Azurite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #118
Linen

I like wearing black & white together sometimes for the contrast. The other night (at a concert), I wore a black top, black boots, and a black skirt with a shorter white skirt over top of it. It was a layered look. I had fun with it.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #119
The Mystic Moon

All white would be a little much for me. I'm sure it can look great on done the right way though. I hope to see some all white dressed goths in the future.
The Mystic Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #120
wishcat

I think it looks good if you have black hair. Brian Molko dresses in all white when he performs sometimes and he looks sexy.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #121
KontanKarite

White's been done a lot, actually. One of the best examples I can think of is Switch from The Matrix.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #122
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishcat
I think it looks good if you have black hair. Brian Molko dresses in all white when he performs sometimes and he looks sexy.

Brian Molko would look hot dressed even in news paper
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #123
cryuntildeath

I wear white alot. I dont perfer the "all black" gothic look. I don't think it looks original anymore. When I see a Gothic looking person wearing a bright blue top over black pants, more power to ya! I love wear white, with black jewelry and basic eyeliner. Gives you an darkly angelic appearance, like you have a deeper secret but you aren't going to kill the next person who looks at you. Plus, I think all-white gets more attention from by-standers than black. All-black is outplayed, in my opinion.

Just my opinion.
cryuntildeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #124
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryuntildeath
I wear white alot. I dont perfer the "all black" gothic look. I don't think it looks original anymore. When I see a Gothic looking person wearing a bright blue top over black pants, more power to ya! I love wear white, with black jewelry and basic eyeliner. Gives you an darkly angelic appearance, like you have a deeper secret but you aren't going to kill the next person who looks at you. Plus, I think all-white gets more attention from by-standers than black. All-black is outplayed, in my opinion.

Just my opinion.
Good goth...Woe man. Just WOE. Hopefully Maggz won't...

G'oh wait. He did. Mr Raver, please rave somewhere else.

Goth Forever
Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 AM   #125
KontanKarite

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...iendID=3982228

Your mom...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote