Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #26
davethedarklord

I meant no offence,I hate my standard.
davethedarklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #27
unedifying

Well, that's China for you. Just like in Japan, they listen to shitty music and look like Scensters.

Quote:
I insist my standard:
1.He must rebel against mainstream.
2.He must remain rebeling against mainstream when he has already become mainstream.
3.He must rebel against himself.

No offense, but that seems like a stupid standard. Something emo kids and mall goths do. I hate mall goths. x.X;;
unedifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #28
UltraNEO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedarklord
I have a ethnicity of one hundred percent chinese despite a childhood experience of being called something like halfblood.

Hi Dave, I'm a BBC, though 100% Chinese (for the benefit of those reading I'm a Hong Konger) though, today I don't see nor associate myself with them anymore other than direct family ties - it's too complicated of a matter to go into here, mostly due to acceptance of me... and how I am. Sad really.

In regards to this thread and the reaction of the Mainland Chinese.. well.. in some extent it's understandable, China have only recently opened up and there's so much of western culture they still have to learn about, not including all the subcultures we have.

A couple years ago I had the opportunity to do a little teach in China after completing a TEFL. I'd chosen to teach in one of the beautiful provinces, giving myself the opportunity to explore, see some Pandas and learn about their culture. The application for the school was accepted without a glitch, my position was to teach Oral English at Sichuan Normal University located in Sichuan Province, China (I suppose you can't any more remote than western China.) When I informed my folks that I'm going to China, they just laughed - great support I thought, non the less I still went.

Unbeknown to me I'll encounter so many problems largely due to my appearance and their acceptance, back then I wasn't really 'Goth' either, more a colourful alternative/punk.

On arrival the Dean couldn't believe 'what' had arrived and quickly rushed me into a side room, then proceeded to asking various questions in a broken English. Sort of demanded for my paperwork then took my passport and visas away for further examination. Strange I'd thought. After they verified who I was and what I was there for, they shuffled me into a dingy room that was supposed to be my apartment for the duration.

On exploring the city and it's people, i generally got stared at, occasionally poked, shunned by some as if i was a disease, hassled by the local police and on occasions those who were brave enough would come up and try talking to me (i don't speak chinese.) Once, someone tried pulling on my hair, perhaps though it's a wig or something, i don't know.

My first class was just comical! Mostly to them, laughing and chatting to one another in their language,as if I wasn't acknowledged, occasionally pointing. Yeah.. I was their clown. After a while the class actually started and once they heard my rather strong English accent, the atmosphere changed. All the students had mountain of questions, somebody asked.. "are all english people like you?" Kinda made me laugh, then I felt accepted.

Looking back, it took a while for the to accept me.. Hosting the English corner on campus helped a lot! It gave them the opportunity to ask questions and practice their English. After a while, about two weeks, I finally go there respect and managed to meet the other English teacher, a Canadian who's been there for almost four years. He was kind enough to share his feelings, apologizing about the internal communication of the other staff and what they had ben saying.

In all, I wasn't allowed to fulfill the whole year of teaching, largely due to the Deans disapproval and complaints filed by other members of staff. Eventually I was sent to Hong Kong... where I staid for the reminder. I was still hassled and stared at but what can I say... It's all been an experience.

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #29
Immortal_Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by unedifying
Well, that's China for you. Just like in Japan, they listen to shitty music and look like Scensters.
Shitty music? That's false! Japan happens to have good industrial bands (but not goth) such as Baal. And what do you mean by Scenster?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #30
Cicero

I think she means 'scenester', which basically means a fashion victim of alternative trends. I disagree though...

Malice Mizer, anyone?
Does Mana look anything like a scenester?

Japan does not have shitty music. In fact the Japanese equivalent of goth is one of the most creative and original scenes I've come across. I've been happy to see it starting to creep up onto the shores of Malaysia in recent months, actually. A few of the more emo/faux-punk groups I see hanging around Bukit Bintang (the 'alternative' street of Kuala Lumpur - equivalent of Flinders Street in Melbourne/Camden High Street in London) have started donning black lace and parasols. The music hasn't made it over yet, but I'm sure it'll be soon to follow.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #31
wanabeegothguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbychocolate
Does anyone have any suggestions on good clubs or gothic webpages in Hong Kong?
hmm... google "live life no regrets" i'm going... it is this weekend... i need some people to go with... i'm not goth, but loves the music - i'm just a blond normal little dude that doesnt stand out .... but dont judge by looks ;-)
by the way ... the music is not goth but hard core.. the hardest i have found
W
wanabeegothguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #32
UltraNEO*

It's all canto pop, dance, or techno-shit..
Hong Kong music is just crap! Basically.

But this is just my opinion, you'd needn't agree.

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #33
davethedarklord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNEO*
A couple years ago I had the opportunity to do a little teach in China after completing a TEFL.
Acording to my limited knowledge about foreign language major in china,they need teachers like you desperately.
davethedarklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #34
wanabeegothguy

i took that test too...

UltraNEO - it is all that i could find here that remotely resembles rock
wanabeegothguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #35
ViciouslyBeautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I've been happy to see it starting to creep up onto the shores of Malaysia in recent months, actually. A few of the more emo/faux-punk groups I see hanging around Bukit Bintang (the 'alternative' street of Kuala Lumpur - equivalent of Flinders Street in Melbourne/Camden High Street in London) have started donning black lace and parasols. The music hasn't made it over yet, but I'm sure it'll be soon to follow.
Wow. I wonder how that started.

In Jakarta there are only few of people in general know about goth or punk or any other alternative subculture for that matter. Yes we all know about so-called 'punk' bands like Blink 182, Green Day, and such. Hell, you ask people whether they know who the Sex Pistols were, I bet you can count people who do know by fingers, let alone SoM or Bauhaus.

It's like, people know about goths, but only up to the context where the people wear black, pierce themselves on many places on their body, wear eyeliner. .
Maybe some know more, but there aren't so many and the chances that you'll see them in the malls or streets are like twice in a lifetime.

Hi Cicero dear, when are you coming to Melbourne?
ViciouslyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #36
Immortal_Death

That is true to what ViciouslyBeautiful said. Same in my international school. UltraNeo, you shouldn't insult other types of music just because it's nothing like Goth or whatever you're thinking. There are different type of people with different types of music. Judging by how different people are is not nice.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #37
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciouslyBeautiful
Wow. I wonder how that started.

In Jakarta there are only few of people in general know about goth or punk or any other alternative subculture for that matter. Yes we all know about so-called 'punk' bands like Blink 182, Green Day, and such. Hell, you ask people whether they know who the Sex Pistols were, I bet you can count people who do know by fingers, let alone SoM or Bauhaus.

It's like, people know about goths, but only up to the context where the people wear black, pierce themselves on many places on their body, wear eyeliner. .
Maybe some know more, but there aren't so many and the chances that you'll see them in the malls or streets are like twice in a lifetime.

Hi Cicero dear, when are you coming to Melbourne?
Your description of Jakarta is basically exactly how things are in Kuala Lumpur - which is no surprise since KL and Jakarta are very similar cities.

The Japanese gothic look is definitely helping to spice things up a bit over here, though it hasn't reached the international community just yet - a community in which MTV has an even stronger hold. If you're male, you are 'gangsta', if you're female, you are a 'beautiful, tortured emo girl, searching desperately for the right boy with flippy hair to take your heart... but still slutty to impress the gangsta boys'.

Anyway that's enough of a whine on the annoying state of subcultures in South East Asia. I think I'll try to end it there!

Oh and to answer your last question... I'll be in Melbourne at the end of October, actually. I miss it dearly.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #38
kitten

i live near a priavet academy, and alot of the kids there are from asia, i know my brother and sister and I get alot of wierd looks from the people there. They call us this wierd word in chinese that pretty much means freak I guess. but yeah. Im friends with one of the kids from china, and he says theyactualy like the way we look, they just cant wear those clothes cause of all the strict rules at the academy, so they make fun of us instead. well, somone up there said to make fun of them back, its a good idea. they all prolly look like little hip-hop clones, lol.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #39
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal_Death
You're right, but I'm the only one.....so how is that possible?
You are so not the only one. Did you or did you not just stumble upon a forum filled with many like-minded people? You just happen to be the only one that you know of in your area. Maybe you're the only one brave enough to go against the norm. I applaud you for that. That's something to be proud of.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 AM   #40
Immortal_Death

Thank you. But people principally don’t accept me. I won’t let that get in my way of achieving my goals. In other words, I couldn’t care less now. They could think however they want, but just don't start any violence, it could get pretty ugly here. I don't wear make-up to be Goth, I wear make up because it's a reflection of my soul and I'm comfortable in it. I look better with it too...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:47 AM   #41
DarkHeartedDemoness

If you're comfortable with who you are, and you express yourself as you choose to, that's definitely something to be proud of. That's something many people never acheive.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:57 AM   #42
Feeble Minded

That's definately not what I thought of those areas. I was terribly mislead. I thought there were many different people there. But to hear that MTV is worse than in America, England or Australia. Ughhh. I've got to find out where I got this faulty information from.

But yes. I'd feel better knowing that I am the only different person there. As long as I've got someone that I can talk or relate to. Oh and happy new year to everybody.
Feeble Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #43
SaFraudAlSaMeno

I'm an overseas Chinese, currently living in England and I have never seen a Chinese Goth in England before and I don't think so either in Hong Kong. But now, it's happy to see that other Asians are also in this subculture as I am. I think this gives me motivation to pursue a lifestyle that I find 'right' for me and probably not so much my family, but I'm ready to go against the norm because I have the right. Now I'm starting to ramble and talk way too emotionally. I'll go and introduce myself anyway.
SaFraudAlSaMeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #44
CountSixstring

The Japanese Gothic L-O-L-I-T-A (I don't know WHY they bleep it out) s good in some ways and bad in others. For one. I really don't think it deserves to be called gothic on terms of it did not come form the same place as the original subculture. All it did was add darkness to a certain aesthetic. It happened as such. Mana got that stuff from X-Japan, who got their aesthetic from KISS. Goth comes from somewhere waaaaaay out of that way. (Not bashing anyone) The good thing about Loli is that it fits, the bad thing is that most loli's don't know or care to know what real goth is. In America it's just basically a bunch of Japanophiles who can't come down to reality. Personally I think Mana is a mockery, but that's just me. REAL Japanese goths are people like the uys from Kuroyume and BUCk-TICK. They actually play goth music. Malice Mizer is good too, but Moi Dix Moi is just a bunch of half assed clasical music with some shitty metal riffs. Why does this relate to fashion? Mana is a prominent figure and he is considered "Goth" in the same way that Manson, HIM, and My Chemical Romance are. It's a half assed aesthetic. It's a bunch of fangirls that like to be seen. As far as China goes? I think you're shit out of luck.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #45
industrialgirl

moving to shanghai

After doing a google search on "Goth China", this seems to be the only place where there is any mention of a goth scene over there. This scares me cause I may be moving there in January, and am looking for some like minded people in or near Shanghai. I also have a LOT of questions about what I should bring over. If there is a place I'll be able to buy hair bleach, and manic panic dye. What about clothing? Or MUSIC?! I saw that there was one club that had a goth night as a halloween special, but no other goth nights...at least not mentioned anywhere on the internet. If I don't get to go out and shake my booty to some good goth music when I am over there I might go CRAZY!!!

Help!
-noel
industrialgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #46
maggot

If you actually listen to goth music, you should have plenty to blast over your stereo, right?
And you have plenty of clothes, I'm sure.

Of course there's hair bleach and dye; goths aren't the only people who bleach and/or dye their hair.

Don't be silly.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #47
Stormtrooper of Death

OK, there are a few things I will say about this. Every city has a music scene. Some cities and countries have an easily accessable music scene. In other cities and countries you have to dig REALLY deep to find other members of your subculture, but there are others there. I live in Minnesota and for awhile I thought we had no punk scene here. UNTIL I dug around and found a decent sized scene, that I though hadn't existed.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #48
Cicero

You're very wrong there, Stormtrooper. I lived for 15 years in Asia, and came across all but one city that actually had what you could call a 'music scene' (Bangkok, Thailand). Everywhere else has music, of course, but barely enough of anything listenable to amount to a scene.

I've never been to Shanghai, but I can imagine it won't exactly have a thriving goth scene. In fact I can almost assure any goth moving there that they'll be the 'only goth in the village' so to speak.

My advice to Industrialgirl: for music, downloading and internet mailorder will be your friend. In fact the internet will probably be your best resource for buying anything, while DIY will be your best bet for clothing. There'll be no Manic Panic dye, so either bring a supply with your or learn to live without bright colours for a while. Bleach you'll have no trouble with.

Hope you have an awesome time there. I've heard it's a very interesting city.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #49
Stormtrooper of Death

You have a point there Cicero, I stand corrected.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #50
Smile

Anyone ever been to Hong Kong? I've been living here for a year now and it's Asian wanna-be shock em and make me laugh punk oh I also think I'm goth capital of Asia. Seriously, you see a row of 4-5 guys with the same conformist Japanophile haircuts and they think they're punks or goths. It's more than that also, but you really do have to at least visit here to enjoy the hilarity of it all. N e hoo, that's the end of my rant.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote